Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mwpdrp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwpdrp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailers
    Posted: May-18-2017 at 2:18am
Does anyone know where you can find a good used trailer for a 93 Ski Nautique?

Mike
d4carlon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4carlon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 5:34am
I got mine on craigslist, though I did some minor modifications to fit my needs then I bought a blue ox towing weight distribution hitch. Try also ebay for used boat trailers.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2017 at 6:40am
Originally posted by d4carlon d4carlon wrote:

I got mine on craigslist, though I did some minor modifications to fit my needs then I bought a blue ox towing weight distribution hitch. .

Carl,
What are you towing and what is your tow vehicle that requires the weight distribution?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
d4carlon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4carlon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 9:03am
I have an F150. I thought I need a WD hitch when hauling my boat. Good thing my friend has a camper so he is going to buy my hitch.
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 9:24am
I have used F150's to tow Ski Nautiques 88 2001 thru 2002 Ski Nautique and I have never needed a weight distribution hitch. If you are towing a G23 that weighs almost 7000 lbs then you need a weight distribution hitch to stay safe.   Just keep your regular hitch it will be good to go.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 11:17am
Never seen a WD hitch even on 23' inboards.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

+1 - If the vehicle needs a WD hitch because it can't handle the tongue weight, I REALLY worry that it doesn't have the brakes to stop it (esp. if a trailer doesn't have them). It's scary and very unsafe to have the trailer push you around.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 11:28am

Agreed.
Once saw a video from one of the WD hitch makers that had an Airstream trailer on the back of an Olds Toronado that they had removed the rear tires from the Olds and were going down the road. It was to show how effective the hitch was.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Agreed.
Once saw a video from one of the WD hitch makers that had an Airstream trailer on the back of an Olds Toronado that they had removed the rear tires from the Olds and were going down the road. It was to show how effective the hitch was.

They didn't show ya' turning or stopping I bet........... "Professional driver, closed course, soiled britches....)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 12:06pm
Na Steve they didn't have so many lawyers around yet back then. No disclaimers under ad either. My Dad towed a 27 ft with a Caddy,only added a hitch and a trans cooler. I'm sure some of these new tubs almost weigh double of an Airstream
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by d4carlon d4carlon wrote:

I have an F150. I thought I need a WD hitch when hauling my boat. .

What's the boat? I have a feeling your thinking is off slightly!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Na Steve they didn't have so many lawyers around yet back then. No disclaimers under ad either. My Dad towed a 27 ft with a Caddy,only added a hitch and a trans cooler. I'm sure some of these new tubs almost weigh double of an Airstream

My folks towed a slant 2 horse trailer with dressing room with a caddy...... in the mountains and through the plains. It was a simpler time - with more style.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 1:23pm
Yea trucks were to utilitarian back then. Thats Dads on the left,Black on black not allowed to have the air on. It was a long drive at times

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 1:48pm
The factory hitch on my Tahoe is rated 5k standard hitch 10k weight distributing hitch, Amazing how much they increase your towing capacity, even Pete's lesmobile could tow a boat using a WDH!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 1:51pm
Gary,
In your dad's caddy, was that the era of the 500 cu.in. engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

The factory hitch on my Tahoe is rated 5k standard hitch 10k weight distributing hitch, Amazing how much they increase your towing capacity, even Pete's lesmobile could tow a boat using a WDH!!

Chris,
That's the hitch capacity and not the capacity of the vehicle. I'd have to look it up again but I seem to remember the lesmobile is rated at 3500.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yea trucks were to utilitarian back then. Thats Dads on the left,Black on black not allowed to have the air on. It was a long drive at times

We towed with a '74 Sedan de ville - Maroon. Dad's CB handle was the "Caddilac Cowboy in the rusty heavy chevy". That's a '71? or earlier? (I figure earlier, cuz you're kinda old.)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 2:06pm
That was a '71 with a 472 Pete. The next one was a 76 with a 500. At first it had less power and used more gas. Dad bought a book on how to remove your GM's emission controls, pull the air pump, plug the ports, remove the cat, knock out the unleaded only plug in the gas filler and change the timing. It was then as good as the 71.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 7:34pm
Hey Pete the Subaru Forester is rated to tow 1500 pounds.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

I looked it up and the towing capacity is 2400 lbs. So, I'm good per the book especially on short distances. I also called my mechanic who only works on and specializes in Subaru's. He said he would have no problems towing 3500 but keep the trans out of lock up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2017 at 8:33pm
Correct, my apologies.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I looked it up and the towing capacity is 2400 lbs. So, I'm good per the book especially on short distances. I also called my mechanic who only works on and specializes in Subaru's. He said he would have no problems towing 3500 but keep the trans out of lock up.

Is this the same mechanic who have a financial interest in your Forester needing a new tranny?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Is this the same mechanic who have a financial interest in your Forester needing a new tranny?

Richard,
So, you feel if I pull my heaviest boat and trailer with a combined weight of about 2800 lbs. 2 miles to the landing my trans will go? Then a long trip would probably be to GL with a load of 2500lbs. That would blow the trans too?   Is the trans the weak link in the Subaru Symmetrical AWD system?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2017 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by mwpdrp mwpdrp wrote:

Does anyone know where you can find a good used trailer for a 93 Ski Nautique?

Mike

I just looked and there are two other guys looking for the same thing, but keep an eye on www.ski it again .com and one might pop up. You can also post over there as a trailer wanted post.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 3:15pm
Pete,

Not trying to pick a fight. I was joking because the mechanic that will make money if it brakes says its fine. The element of humor I was going for is that he has a financial incentive in being wrong. The smiling face was meant to show my statement was in jest.

I have not studied Subaru's. I do not know their weak link. I do not know if their published tow capacity is conservative or spot on. Also, I know from reading responses that you are highly mechanical and quite capable of making informed decisions.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

Pete,

Not trying to pick a fight. I was joking because the mechanic that will make money if it brakes says its fine. The element of humor I was going for is that he has a financial incentive in being wrong. The smiling face was meant to show my statement was in jest.

I have not studied Subaru's. I do not know their weak link. I do not know if their published tow capacity is conservative or spot on. Also, I know from reading responses that you are highly mechanical and quite capable of making informed decisions.

Richard,
Got it. Thanks for filling me in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic