Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Gasket, Riser, Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SKIGT40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKIGT40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 Gasket, Riser, Manifold
    Posted: May-08-2017 at 8:35pm
Hi All
I'm new to posting but have been reading the forum for years.

I have a 95 Ski Nautique196 GT40 EFI, I'am replacing the gaskets in-between the riser and manifold that i bought from SKIDIM. Is it possible to sand down the riser and manifold? What would be the best way to do it?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 8:39pm
60 grit sandpaper wrapped around a sanding block works well.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 8:50pm
Bastard file and a good eye. Keep a straight edge handy to check that good eye though
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 9:11pm
I did mine last year when I added a 1" riser block and did not see a need to flatten the surface.
Is yours rusted badly or are you trying to remove the old gasket why do you need to
sand/flatten the surface.

oops misread post thought he was talking intake manifold, damn Molson Canadian... never mind
SKIGT40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKIGT40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 9:52pm
I have cleaned them off with steel wool , but there is a bit of rusty unevenness in some places. I'm not sure what is a reasonable amount of unevenness. I would post a pic but am not quit sure how to do it, Do i need to request permission from the forum?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2017 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by SKIGT40 SKIGT40 wrote:

I would post a pic but am not quit sure how to do it, Do i need to request permission from the forum?

Russ,
Use the "post reply" and not the quick. Click on the icon of the tree with the up arrow. A browse box will come up allowing you to select anything off your computer.

Welcome to posting. Pictures of the boat would be great too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
2tall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2tall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 7:54pm
I had a similar issue on my thermostat housing and I used a fine grit sandpaper on a drill attachment like a sanding disc, but it had a soft back. It was from a 3m headlight restoration kit. The sandpaper was 500 or maybe even 750 grit. If I paid close attention and kept the disc as level as possible and only did a little bit of sanding then backed off, then a little, then back off, it worked perfectly and cleaned up the surface nicely, but I was only after removal of a very small amount of rust.
2Tall - 1996 Ski Nautique GT-40
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 8:02pm
I would skip the goop and focus on getting the mating surfaces flat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 8:05pm
Mark's method is the best for cleaning up a gasket surface by hand especially surfaces that must be as flat as possible.
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Bastard file and a good eye. Keep a straight edge handy to check that good eye though

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SKIGT40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKIGT40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 8:12pm
Update,   I sanded it down with metal sand paper with a vibrating sander first with 100 grit then 600. Came out great very smooth and got rid of the rusty spots and unevenness.

I'm Still Having Issues uploading Pics, I get error messages.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2017 at 9:34pm
Again, any gasket surface needs to be flat. A flat bastard file and a straight edge works. Anything with a soft backing pad such as a vibrating sander, a dual action sander or a disk sander will round over the flat surface. Do not rely on any type a thick gasket compound such as silicone to seal a surface meant to be flat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SKIGT40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKIGT40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2017 at 5:19pm
To sum up . I sanded everything down smooth as possible . Put new gaskets from ski dim. Then was able to source the bolts from fastenal, the small ones were exact size the big ones I had to cut a 1/4 inch for it to fit. Bolts were grade 8 zink plated, bolts costed me about 10 bucks. All seems to be good now, thanks All for the advice.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 12:58am
Coat the bolts with anti-seize to keep them from rusting in place.
I take mine out one at a time and re-coat about every other year or so. They still look like brand new and easy in easy out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 6:44am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Coat the bolts with anti-seize to keep them from rusting in place.
I take mine out one at a time and re-coat about every other year or so. .

Paul,
Maybe you should try a better brand of anti seize or, get some help with that OCD issue!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2017 at 8:28am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

A flat bastard file and a straight edge works.

First thing I thought of when I read your reply

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic