Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1997 Ski Nautique restoration - Advice please!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
69 barracuda h/m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 3:20pm
i have a similar issue, i changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap, button and ignition coil and now it idles fine but when i get up to twenty it starts popping out of the carb. i really need some help because i know nothing about motors, i have heard that a plug wire could be crossed but im not sure exactly how to test that, just about all of the good automotive shops in the area are booked up for weeks. so i figured i would try to ask on here as a last effort to fix this myself before the fourth. please help if you have any . knowledge.

btw its a ford 302 built by holman moody

-Thanks

Alex
-Alex
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 3:42pm
Alex,
When you replaced the wires, plugs and cap, did you change one at a time to maintain the same firing order? If not, what firing order did you use? Did the engine do the same before you did the work?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2017 at 3:43pm
Did you change the points,check dwell and timing?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
69 barracuda h/m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 barracuda h/m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 5:30pm
Hey, yes i changed them one by one but i must have crossed one because when i put it in the first time and ran it i had a bad vibration, so i pulled it out and took it to a mechanic. he said he got the firing order corrected, but when i put it in it ran smooth until i got it up to 20. Is there any way to know what point is what on the distributor cap? Because it is not numbered and when i went over it last night there does not seem to be any pattern to the order of cylinders.
-Alex
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 5:53pm
Alex,
There are no specific "points" on a distributor cap designating cylinders. You get the #1 cylinder to TDC compression, look at where the rotor is pointing and that's your starting point for the #1 plug. The "mechanic" should have verified this. Again: What firing order did he and yourself use? Were the points changed? What did you set the dwell to? What about the timing? Is the mechanical advance working? Maybe it would be a good idea for you to take it back to your mechanic?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2017 at 7:19pm
Alex - Sounds like a timing advance issue.   Do you have a timing light? If not, maybe you can borrow or rent one.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic