NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb wanted

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb wanted
    Posted: February-24-2017 at 10:48am
I am looking to buy a downdraft for my 327 AMC. Should be 600 CFM. I prefer a unit that is ready to go as opposed to one I need to rebuild. Holly would be preferable but would consider an Edelbrock.
Thanks
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 10:59am
Jack, you sure you need/want a 600cfm? What kind of hp and rpm are you talking? The 220hp 302's used 450cfm Holley's from the factory. I have Rico rebuilding a few 600cfm Holley's this winter, believe we have some 450cfm's that could be done as well. Once we're a bit more organized we may be able to tell what we need to keep and what could go. Pm me in a month and remind me!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:07am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Jack, you sure you need/want a 600cfm? What kind of hp and rpm are you talking? The 220hp 302's used 450cfm Holley's from the factory. I have Rico rebuilding a few 600cfm Holley's this winter, believe we have some 450cfm's that could be done as well. Once we're a bit more organized we may be able to tell what we need to keep and what could go. Pm me in a month and remind me!

I will be in touch Tim. Honestly don't know what I need. My neighbor is an old timer. He was a Chris Craft mechanic. He say's all I need is a two barrel downdraft. Probably the 450 is more appropriate. This is a 188HP.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:20am
I may even have a rebuildable marine 2bbl Holley around somewhere if you want to go that route... though it may be the 350cfm flavor that came on the 165hp 2bbl 289/302's. I'd have to dig them up and check LIST numbers to be sure. I want to say that there were 500cfm 2bbl's also- so who knows. Let us know which intake manifold you end up with.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:23am
I have a Gray Marine Fireball 327 / 220 hp and run a Holley 600 CFM on it. It runs well with that carb. I think the original 4bbl option on the 235HP engine was 600 CFM, if memory serves.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:26am
Oh, I also run a wedge between the carb and intake manifold. There is a guy in Lake Charles, IL that will mill a 14 degree angle on an automotive 4bbl manifold. I'll eventually have him do that to my intake manifold and remove the wedge.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:30am
The majority of marinizers using Holley's didn't use wedges to flatten out the carb mounting angle (including PCM) and they run just fine that way. I believe the AFB/Edelbrock carbs are much more sensitive to angle though. Something to think about!

I am totally unfamiliar with AMC's but the hp difference between 2bbl's and 4bbl's is usually only partially attributable to the intake and carb... many times, heads, compression ratio and cam are different as well. Just don't expect to go from 188 to 235hp unless you identify and upgrade all the necessary parts.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:35am
Thanks for all the input. From Steve's experience it looks the 600 CFM might be the one. I don't plan to go with the 2 bbl Tim. I have the manifold as the boat came with a Holly on but don't think it was marinized. It is in Ct. Prolly a 600cfm. I also have the wedge come to think I better locate that.
Didn't see Tim's latest post when I posted this.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:47am
Jack, a 600 CFM Edelbrock with wedge runs great on our 312. However, it is big for it based on CFM calculations. 450 CFM is more appropriate based on the calculations.   If Tim can get you a 450 Holly to try, give it a try.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Jack, a 600 CFM Edelbrock with wedge runs great on our 312. However, it is big for it based on CFM calculations. 450 CFM is more appropriate based on the calculations.   If Tim can get you a 450 Holly to try, give it a try.

I am not about getting all the power I can squeeze out of it. Certainly open to try a 450 CFM if that one meets the calculations. At this point a little dependability and a lot of safety are my main concerns.
Sounds like run the Holly 450 CFM with no wedge perhaps.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 9:59am
Can someone please clarify what is the difference between a vintage carb say from the 60"s that is marinized or the auto version. Been told the only difference is the flame suppressor but that doesn't sound right. J tube?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 11:09am
Jack,
Whoever told you that the addition of the flame arrestor to a carb to marinize it back then is correct. J tubes came later.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2017 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
Whoever told you that the addition of the flame arrestor to a carb to marinize it back then is correct. J tubes came later.

Before the j tubes came slabbed throttle shafts

In this old thread there are pictures of an automotive and a marine shaft.

This all pertains to Holley carbs and I don't have a clue when they started with the slabbed shafts but it was definitely before the j tubes showed up in the second half of the 70's.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic