Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
renegerhardt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renegerhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help rebuild
    Posted: January-14-2017 at 2:44pm
Hello. I have a 1969 correct craft, I need some help/ advice on motor and trans rebuild/replace.   Is anyone, we'll versed in these boats drive train, willing to be a sounding board while I work through this process?   TIA
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 3:10pm
Rene,
Fill us in on some details for what's going on with the engine and trans. Then I feel we can give you some better advice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renegerhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 3:24pm
Ok. I bought this boat about a year ago.   It had a bad motor.   I had a shop replace the motor. He replaced motor, with a standard rotation motor, (the boat originally had a reverse rotation motor) and "flipped a gear" in the transmission to make the boat go the correct way when in gear.   When I got the boat back on the water it ran great but the transmission seems to be slipping. I posted this one last year and received some good info.   So now I'm trying to figure out the best way to address this problem.   
Options :
Rebuild trans "as is" with reversed gear, and will that work?
Rebuild trans back to original and replace Motor with reverse rotation motor
Replace trans and prop with standard rotation equals
I think this boat is a Freeport model.
Motor is a 302
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 4:11pm
Rene,
What prop is on the boat? Is it a LH or RH? This will be key to determine if the mechanic who "flipped a gear" knew what he was doing and if in fact the trans is slipping or just running it in reverse with the wrong prop. Looking at a LH prop from the aft end of the boat, it will turn counterclockwise to push the boat in the forward direction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 4:12pm

Options :
Rebuild trans "as is" with reversed gear, and will that work?
A Velvet Drive trans always has to turn the same direction as the engine. If they kept the same propeller that was on the reverse rotation engine then they were running the trans in "reverse" to go forward and putting it in forward to use reverse which in case the trans won't last long. You can set up the trans for the left hand engine but you must use a left handed prop. In a Correct craft ski boat it is frowned apon to use a lefty engine since the hull is set up for a righty. Don't know if this applies to a Freeport since they are a v hull rather than a flat bottom.

Rebuild trans back to original and replace Motor with reverse rotation motor
Best option it will then work as the manufacturer designed but more money will need to be thrown at it

Replace trans and prop with standard rotation equals
see #1
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renegerhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 5:18pm
Ty. Next question. If I'm going to replace Motor can I increase size of motor( i.e. 351) without modifying the transmission or trans connection? Or is it best to go with same size as original?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 5:39pm
Theoretically you can. Don't know what your skill level is and I'm not sure about your mechanic either. You would need a complete rotating assembly,302 flywheels and harmonic balancers come in 2 different imbalances compared to 351's and you would need to know what your doing.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renegerhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 6:22pm
Hello ty for your reply. Looking from aft to foreward prop turns right or clockwise to propel the boat forward.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 6:44pm
Sounds as if your mechanic had the trans running in reverse to get it to go forward when you put it in gear when you were driving it,do you push the throttle lever forward? Put it in forward then go back to where the cable attaches to the lever on the transmission. Is that lever on the trans now forward or is it to the back? Maybe have someone move the control lever while you watch the transmission lever-- Control lever forward trans lever should be forward, Control lever back into reverse,trans lever should be to the rear.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2017 at 11:47pm
Rene,
Do as Gary recommends with checking the position of the shift lever on the trans itself. Yup, it sure sounds like your "mechanic" screwed it up!!! A RH prop on a LH engine will NOT work. If confirmed this is the case, the good news is your trans is probably good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 9:35am
Link to Rene's previous thread about same issue

previous thread

Is the boat accessible so that you can put the shift lever into forward and then go to the transmission and see what the position of the lever on the transmission is like has been suggested by Gary.

That will tell ya' a whole bunch

The lever on the transmission should be angled toward the front of the transmission when the shifter is in FWD and angled toward the back of the transmission when it's in REV.

Otherwise like Gary said the reverse portion of the transmission is being used to drive the boat forward and the forward portion is being used for reverse................and it ain't gonna last long

A Borg Warner 71C has the same 1 to 1 ratio in FWD and REV so if this thing really is using the reverse clutch to go forward it'll go just as fast until it starts slipping or just dies completely.

A 71C has 5 forward plates and 1 reverse plate so forward can handle a lot more load without slipping

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2017 at 10:01am
Here's a picture borrowed from the internet of a 10-18 ( it's the 10-17's bigger brother) with the shift lever in the REV position, you should be able to figure out what it looks like in FWD   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic