Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lifting eye storage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bgyglfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgyglfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lifting eye storage
    Posted: November-30-2016 at 6:45pm
I'm new to the forum. I suppose I should introduce myself. I bought a well cared for 82 sn2001 toward the end of last season. I am negotiating for a boat house at a local lake club. The current lift in it is the strap type. I'm not interested in dealing with straps under the boat/fins etc every time I get the boat out. My question is, would you recommend just hanging the boat by the lifting eyes all summer or building a carriage for it? I know Nautiques were designed to be stored by the lifting eyes but the boat is 35 years old and still has the original stringers. Again, It's a nice solid boat and the floors have no issues now. Just wondering if the age is something to consider.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 6:56pm
I would hang it
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:12pm
I concur with Kevin. Hang it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bgyglfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgyglfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:14pm
I really want to. Just for the cool factor. :)

Anything I should double check on as far as the supports etc where they attach below?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:22pm
Kirk,
Just take a look at all the fastenings under the eyes. Look for signs of major corrosion and any major cracks in the glass. Also inspect the stringers plus, in the FAQ thread (maintenance section) there's a link to stringer inspection by Tim.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bgyglfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgyglfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:23pm
Perfect. I will do that.
Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:24pm
When you get it, don't forget pictures! We love them!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:27pm
Yes, I would inspect the lifting ring assemblies first... I have seen some dicey looking threaded rods on older boats (though others have aged just fine). I doubt the attachment to the stem or transom is on the verge of failure but a quick inspection won't hurt those either. Like was said above, these boats were built to be hung.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 7:34pm
Have posted this pic before but will show it again. Looked OK above the foam but sure was bad under the floor where the foam was soaked for a long time. The rear one is easy to inspect, not so easy on the front. As Pete and Tim said "inspect carefully"
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 9:06pm
I have used all 3 methods and personally like the cradle the best,not any different than sitting on the trailer. Using Correct Crafts hanging method puts alot of stress on the boat and prevents you from getting in and moving around easily. The way you do it also depends on what you are going to use to lift it,do you have anything in place now or are you starting from scratch?

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MACS81SN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACS81SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 11:19pm
I used a hanging type hoist for the better part of 30 years for my 81 SN before switching to the more common drive on lift. The only downside I experienced was the lifting rings wore from the lifting hooks.   I replaced the eyes after their Integrity became questionable. This shouldn't be a problem for you as it took 25 years to wear mine down. I vote go for it if the inside brackets are sound.
Mark

1999 -SN - 502 Python
1981 - SN Owned 33 years - Sold
1968 - Mustang - Sold

Bgyglfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgyglfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 11:55pm
The slip has the traditional four corner type hoist. Right now it just has the straps that go under the hull. My concern with just using what is there is dealing with the straps tangling with the tracking fins.

Pic as requested.

It's still very original but there are tears on the interior and the stripes need a reprint. Will get there. One more reason I'm leaning toward the ring lift is getting under it to clean after a day on the lake. Boats can get pretty grimy on our lake.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 1:04am
Your straps must not be weighted. then. Mine on the Mustang above are,they have something sewed internally. Over the years that lift has held a Ski Supreme and a Shamrock. Will it be easy to convert from a 4 corner to a two point?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bgyglfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgyglfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 1:16am
Well. I'm a pretty decent welder and steel is relatively cheap. I figure I can fabricate it any way I want. I just want to do it right. :) I'm thinking a cradle will cost me around $200 in material and a days cutting/welding. I can just connect it to the four corners and be done. With the lifting eye, I would have to brace across with a steel beam to carrry the load in the center. Both are about the same amount of work.

I forgot to mention, right now there is only about 3 1/2' of water in the bow side of the slip and it gets deeper to the back. In the summer it's usually around 4-4 1/2'. . If the water on the lake ever gets low, I suppose I would have better chances hanging it from the eyes.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 2:05am
I haven't seen any Correct Crafts buckle from lifting at the rings.

Rings, straps, cradle, all fine options. Cradle is nice if you are inside the boat a lot when lifted as Gary mentioned.
Bgyglfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgyglfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 11:49am
Ok. If I consider building the cradle, do I just copy the runners on my trailer or can I run straight runners under the stringers for the cradle? I've read opinions both ways. It's obviously simpler just to run straight stringers front to back but curved ones like my trailer wouldn't be that much more difficult. How deep does the water need to be to make room for the cradle and still have flotation for the boat?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 1:57pm
Straight would be fine, that is pretty much how any vertical style boat lift is setup, ideally you would have the bunks as close to the stringers as possible. As far as depth, whatever the cradle structure is from the top of the bunk to the lowest point of the underside of the cradle plus another 6" or so would be the minimum depth that would work. The 3.5 foot depth you mentioned should be enough unless you use some giant framing members.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 4:32pm
Can the lift handle the added weight of the cradle+boat+fuel+gear? If so, I think the cradle is much more functional.

IMHO - What you give up in bottom cleaning access you will gain in ease of cleaning the hull sides by being able to walk around the boat on the frame. I'm almost always standing on either side of our lift to wipe down the boat. Certainly a plus with a boat lift, might not be a big deal if you're in a slip.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 10:31pm
If you do go with the lifting eyes, here is an option. This is how my dad converted straps to hooks on our old dock and kept the four corners. He used steel cross bars with pulleys on each end (pulleys are optional but reduce the weight for the lift of course). On the bottom center of the two crossbars there was a welded eye and about 2 ft of chain and a hook attached. We used bungee cords to attach from the cross beam eyes (permanently attached) to the hook eye (hooked on when needed) to keep the hook engaged and to allow us not to have our fingers in that area as the lift raised (was also nice if there was boat wake coming in). Guess he could have also used lifting hooks that clipped on but the bungees worked well. This solution would result in the boat being able to be lowered into the least water depth and seems like it would be a lot easier than reconstructing/bracing the existing lift structure.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic