Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Super Sport Nautique 1996 prop shaft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rossl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sport Nautique 1996 prop shaft
    Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:04am
Hi, does any body know if my rudder and prop shaft on this boat should be inline or slightly offset, my shaft is about 1/2 to the right of the rudder? It runs fine with no vibration, would it cause damage

I've attached 2 pics

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:14am
I suggest checking the strut to see if it's bent. Get some measurements from the chine to the strut base and then to the shaft. Also check your basic engine/trans to log and strut alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 8:16am
Doesn't look right to me.

Bent strut?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 3:21pm
Don't think this will help because my rudder is not straight I'll be able to get a picture around Christmas if you will still need one--

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 3:37pm
Might be normal. I'll check mine in the next week or so. Offset maybe to overcome prop directional torque. Does that make any sense?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 3:43pm
An offset in and of itself is not necessarily concerning, several manufacturers used this feature for various reasons. Ease of shaft removal, steering torque, etc.

That said, I do not believe cc purposely built in an offset, at least on the direct drives that I am familiar with (including the NWZ that gave birth to the original SS). It looks like a bent strut to me, though pictures can be deceiving...
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 4:00pm
It does appear to be bent to starboard based on the pic which shows the bottom of the strut to be angled away from vertical.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2016 at 5:12pm
It probably took a hit at some point in it's life.
Unless someone really worked to align the shaft to the engine in this new location I bet the coupler that bolts the shaft to the transmission is worn out.
Does it turn freely when you spin the prop by hand?
If it turns freely and is aligned to the engine, boat drives well maybe you just live with it?
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2016 at 10:03am
My 95 super sport also has a slight offset in the same direction and runs smoothly. I'm thinking it may be by design. I'll take a pic tonight.

Kyle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic