NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'97 Ski Nautique Pulls Left

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '97 Ski Nautique Pulls Left
    Posted: October-16-2016 at 5:48pm
I just got done testing a '97 Ski Nautique, and it has a noticeable pull to the left both under hard acceleration and at speed. My '86 has a neutral pull throughout, so I wasn't expecting this. I didn't notice anything bent or out of alignment underneath the boat, but since I did the hull inspection before the water test, I wasn't looking all that closely. The boat does not have a tunable rudder but does have a 4-bladed prop.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with this year boat?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2016 at 6:09pm
Take a look again and see if the rudder has been filed, or shaved on one side.

It's a pretty common practice to "put a load" on the rudder, when skiing the slalom course so that the driver has constant pressure, no gaps, or soft spots when steering.

You can search on rudder filing, or rudder shaving, and probably find more information. I can't think off the top of my head whether the load should be pulling left or right.

I just tune my boat neutral as we are in open water and don't run the course with it.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2016 at 6:10pm
P.S. I am told it does not take a lot of filing. So it may not be super obvious until you look more carefully.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 11:22am
With that all said, there is nothing wrong with the boat pulling to the left and you can trim the rudder to handle like your 86. A RH prop is naturally going to pull the boat to the left, with enough trimming you could probably even get a right hand pull to it. . However, that 97 sounds set up just how I like it...
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 11:28am
Hollywood is correct, my '97 has a slight pull to the left, although it is less noticeable when the weight is evenly distributed.....
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 12:48pm
Appreciate the info.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic