Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

V8-Atom Skier

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V8-Atom Skier
    Posted: October-09-2016 at 11:42am
I'm looking for the member who chatted about hie 265 Chev. Atom Skier experiences. I have a Interceptor 289 I would like to install, I apologize to all the purists.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2016 at 1:58pm
Purists? Are there any purists on this site? I never noticed.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2016 at 5:40pm
If I were going to put a V-8 in an Atom, I'd go with a Buick 300 made from the old 215 cu. in. 1958 circa engine. It's all-aluminum and still seems like a good solution to weight reduction in any direct or v-drive ski boat.
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2016 at 6:28pm
i have a v-8 graymarine engine and trans that is correct for that boat.pm me if intersted.dan in ohio
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2016 at 7:06pm
After checking it out it seems the 289-302 ford is roughly 100 lbs lighter than a small block chev. I like the buick idea but , it boils down to the fact, I have the 289 complete package with velvetdrive. If it doesn't work out I can always go back to the Gray 70.and get loud tape deck with V8 noises.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-09-2016 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by clarkieo clarkieo wrote:

I have the 289 complete package with velvetdrive. .

Hopefully it's a RR engine. If not, you will be VERY disappointed!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2016 at 12:22am
What year is the Atom?
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2016 at 6:40am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

What year is the Atom?

Jack,
It's a modified 1955

WEE SKI in water and doing well!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2016 at 7:14am
Purdy!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2016 at 10:03am
Is it glass with a wood deck? Looks like a rare bird.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2016 at 2:07pm
No all plywood with a creative top deck, was a utility originally.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2016 at 12:37am
Can you sneek a v8 in there with that runabout deck. Seems tight. Is the windshield original? With the same effort it could have had an original deck too bad. Glad to see the old girl still in the water.
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2016 at 11:25am
It will fit through but installing it, the first time, will be a challenge,mounts, alignment, etc.
These are the things you do when retired and looking for the next project. If it doesn't work I'll put it back the way it was.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2016 at 1:02pm

It will fit through but .

But, did you check the height? You may need to run with the engine hatch off or cut a big hole in it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2016 at 7:27pm
I'll soon know, maybe a power bump like the 3 carb Chris Craft
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2016 at 2:07pm
when I built my separator I got a foam block through summit racing for the prefit stages worth every penny. cool boat!
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2016 at 7:57pm
good idea. Going to do a lot of measuring first.
clarkieo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkieo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 11:44am
I think the ship has sailed on the 289- Atom Skier install, too much motor too little boat. Keeping with the current prop shaft flange means I'll be sharing the front seat with the whirring fanbelts, etc. and the hatch cover would have to go.

I'm not completely given up on doing something to increase the power. Any thoughts on getting more power from the Gray 70, or a marine 4 cylinder that might work ?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 12:19pm

Any thoughts on getting more power from the Gray 70, or a marine 4 cylinder that might work ?

Gray Fireball 90 (it's a 4 cylinder)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 12:32pm
Consider the 3L merc I4 are a dime a dozen, and painted a vintage color, I think could look quite at home in that boat.

This ChevyII engine, first in automotive apps in 1962, is the 4 cyl version of the 230 inline six.

Mercruiser applications since 1967, so at least its got a marine history

2.5l 120hp 153cu, or go full retard 3L 140hp 181ci

It will rev better than a flathead, and I thing do what you need.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Consider the 3L merc I4 are a dime a dozen, and painted a vintage color, I think could look quite at home in that boat.

This ChevyII engine, first in automotive apps in 1962, is the 4 cyl version of the 230 inline six.

That sounds like a great idea to me... Shamrock put these engines in front of a velvet drive so theres a bell housing out there somewhere. Rotation is likely an issue but you could put in a PCM 1.23 to 1 - would be a fun boat for sure.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

That sounds like a great idea to me... Shamrock put these engines in front of a velvet drive so theres a bell housing out there somewhere. Rotation is likely an issue but you could put in a PCM 1.23 to 1 - would be a fun boat for sure.

Both of you are forgetting this:

I'll be sharing the front seat with the whirring fanbelts, etc.

The Velvet or even worse the 1.23 to 1 plus the bell housing would put the front of the engine in the forward compartment!! The Paragon manual trans is bolted directly to the engine block making a pretty short package!
"rev" ? The Fireball 90 can max out at about 4200 RPM!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2016 at 3:40pm

After checking it out it seems the 289-302 ford is roughly 100 lbs lighter than a small block chev. I like the buick idea but , it boils down to the fact, I have the 289 complete package with velvetdrive. If it doesn't work out I can always go back to the Gray 70.and get loud tape deck with V8 noises.

Aslong as you cut a hole in the haul for the tape deck, I'd also cut this very hole for the tape deck below the water line, it will help cool the engine better.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic