Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trying to identify the engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blue Skies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Skies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trying to identify the engine
    Posted: September-30-2016 at 4:42am
trying to identify the 6 cylinder overhead valve engine in my 1961, compact skier,(i think that is the model)...any ideas?
d*ck in oceanside, ca
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 6:57am
Pictures? Numbers? Post them and the experts will chime in.
Js
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 7:15am
d*ck,
It's most likely a 170 Ford marinized by Interceptor but we sure need more information.

Welcome to CCfan. Besides pictures of the engine, we'd love some of the Compact too. Tell us more!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Skies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 5:09pm

thanks for the response, just bought this boat in sacramento, the seller restores woodies,
he thought the engine was original and was a ford dearborn marine... does that sound right? also what size/pitch prop works the best with this 170 engine?
d*ck in oceanside, ca
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2016 at 5:25pm
d*ck,
It is a 170 Interceptor. Regarding the prop, we have several members running the engine so be patient and they will chime in. Off hand, it will be a 12" diameter and I'd say 12 or 13 pitch. how's it run? What WOT (wide open throttle) RPM are you getting and what is the diameter and pitch of the prop now?

Nice Compact!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 9:35am
Possibly could be a 140 as well? We're running a 12x9 on our 170 ci, 100 hp Mustang. Post some more pics of your Compact. Welcome to the site.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 9:51am
d*ck,
If you don't have a engine manual, check out Marine Engine . com They don't list the straight 6 with a "add to cart" so if you do need the manual, give them a call.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 10:17am
Pete, the manual is available in the CCF Reference section.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 12:52pm
d*ck,
I just checked and Bruce is correct that the manual is in the reference section. The 144 and 170 are in the same manual as the Y blocks.

Thanks Bruce.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Skies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 12:53pm
thanks for the feedback all. the prop on it now is one i already had, it barely fit, but after running it in a trial, it touches the hull under power, after researching it on line i discovered it's a 13 x 12 ...wrong prop, but it did run pretty well...30 mph at 3,000 rpm. so i found a 12 x 12 on eBay and ordered it, along with a prop puller. i'll check out the site for a manual for the engine. like a new friend, it takes awhile to figure them/it out...!! i'll post some more pics soon. thanks again, so glad to find fellow boat nuts..
d*ck in oceanside, ca
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 12:57pm
d*ck,
Take a look at this thread before swapping props.

Did the restorer put the 13" prop on the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Skies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 1:12pm
my local boat shop installed it because i didn't have a puller to take the old one off. i didn't try running it with the prop it came with as the seller said it was the wrong prop and suggested a 12 x 12. thanks for the prop fitting thread, excellent presentation and vital information.
d*ck in oceanside, ca
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 1:27pm
If it's a 170, redline is 4400.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Blue Skies Blue Skies wrote:

my local boat shop installed it because i didn't have a puller to take the old one off. .

d*ck,
In all honesty, I would question a shop that installed that 13" prop especially since you say it actually touched the hull under load.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Skies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2016 at 9:06pm
hi pete,
had to explore the site to find your name.
in response to your last post about the prop size.. they actually told me that it wasn't right when they installed it, but i had to try it out to be convinced.
so now with the correct size prop i put it back in the water to find out there is a new problem. it's not getting cooling water to the manifold. it over heated, pegging out the temp gauge before i noticed it, as the exhaust exits under water and one can't tell if there is water in the exhaust gasses or if it's just bubbling hot air. so i pulled it out of the water and put a flushing plunger on the water intake with the garden hose attached and still no water in the exhaust. so i pulled the hose from the downstream side of the impeller where it enters the exhaust manifold, there is water there and water pours back from the exhaust manifold when i removed the hose...??? seems there is something preventing the water from circulating in the water jacket.. any ideas?
d*ck in oceanside, ca

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Skies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2016 at 9:09pm
on second thought, maybe the impeller is fried and the water coming out is just hose pressure and not enough volume to make it through the system...i'll check out the impeller tomorrow.
d*ck in oceanside, ca
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2016 at 9:18pm
d*ck,
Since the first test run when I'm assuming there wasn't a overheat problem and now when you do have the overheat problem, has the engine been run without water? The RWP (raw water pump) is a rubber flex impeller pump that's water lubricated. When run even briefly without water, the impellers can get chewed up. Check out the impeller. Also, I know the T stats for that engine are real fussy. I'd install a new one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Skies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2016 at 10:29pm
i'll do both those things before i panic, thanks again..!!
d*ck in oceanside, ca
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2016 at 6:21am
d*ck,
Maybe Steve (62wood) will catch this thread and comment on the T stat. I know he fought the stat problem on his 170 even going through several different stats before solving his overheat. I don't remember what stat he ended up with. I'll PM him asking him to comment.

EDIT: PM sent to Steve

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic