Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crazy thought- thru hull exhaust.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
WheelsUpATX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 1:29pm
I have a 1978 Correct Craft. Any ideas on reducing exhaust odor? Will new exhaust flappers help reduce does it really matter? Mine are a bit tore up... back seat passengers sometimes complain of exhaust odor, which is normal for an older engine duh. It has gotten better b/c my mechanic explained to me that people often put too much oil in my particular engine so since we dialed it down it's been much better. I was wondering if I swapped to a solid platform with no gaps and just solid wood and potentially extend it out a few inches it might give the exhaust a little more of a barrier to transmit odors and wash out with less backdraft ...That yellow correct craft gives me a lump in my pants.
1978 Correct Craft
Twitter: WheelsupATX
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 1:45pm
There are a few threads on this site that show putting a barrier under the platform to keep fumes from coming up through the slats, I think maybe plexiglass was used but not sure.

Too much oil - can't understand that one. Even if you overfilled the crankcase it would not cause exhaust fumes unless you had excessive engine wear and blow-by.

Exhaust smell - it's possible your engine is running rich and the fumes are laden with gas. In general, in the older boats with people in the back seat there is more chance of fumes being pulled into the back of the boat, especially at just below planing speeds with the huge wakes and bow up attitude.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 1:47pm
Oh, and flappers have no impact at all, they are just there to avoid taking a wave up the tailpipes with the engine off. Most older boats don't have them anyway.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 1:48pm
Dan,
The flappers are not intended to redirect the exhaust. They are used to prevent water from being forced into the exhaust when abruptly reversing the boat.

"Too much oil"? I think you may have misunderstood your mechanic. I think what he was referring to was a fuel rich odor caused by the carb. Maybe a carb rebuild is due? What did he do to "dial it down"?

Keep the platform original and address the carb. Also, keep in mind the primary use of the boat is skiing so minimize passengers in the aft seat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 2:20pm
Pete, sometimes I just have to push back a bit. Avoid having passengers in the back seat of his boat? The guy has a very cool classic boat, if I was him I'd have passengers back there and cruise around the lake every chance I got. That's not the answer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Pete, sometimes I just have to push back a bit. Avoid having passengers in the back seat of his boat? The guy has a very cool classic boat, if I was him I'd have passengers back there and cruise around the lake every chance I got. That's not the answer.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

minimize passengers in the aft seat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 3:24pm
Ok, you said minimize, I said avoid. Pretty similar, but I agree not exact.

With a following breeze, my '63 gets fumes in the back seat at speeds in maybe the 8-18 mph range. I have no platform. But I've had so much fun in that boat cruising around with friends/kids in any and all seats that the last thing I'm going to do is minimize back seat usage. I usually just add some throttle and get on plane, with the smaller wakes and speed generated breeze the fumes are gone.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 3:48pm
Ignore Pete, nothing wrong with having people in the back seat.

Excessive fumes are not normal. Do you also get soot on your transom? An improperly adjusted carb will cause both.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 4:09pm
Thinking Pete has been sniffing too many exhaust and glue fumes, lmao!!

Get carb worked out, if you feel problem still exists then by all means add barrier as mentioned above. The factory did it at some point, early 90's IIRC for the open platform, today they are all closed platforms for this exact reason.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 12:37am
Did i mention Fresh Air Exhaust adapter?

It works & is non-permanent.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
WheelsUpATX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WheelsUpATX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 2:48pm
I'd rather poison the fish than my passengers, so this looks intriguing..... the marine fresh air exhaust adaptor I always wondered if you could do and I had to google it to see. Wow that's brilliant. No soot on my transom. I need a new platform anyway I might go solid and see how that does. I am not having gas or buring oil types of smells, it's just exhaust and obviously that's part of having a 78 boat but I'll have to investigate some more since I'm always the selfish bastard driving :)

1978 Correct Craft
Twitter: WheelsupATX
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2016 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by WheelsUpATX WheelsUpATX wrote:

No soot on my transom.

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Exhaust smell - it's possible your engine is running rich and the fumes are laden with gas. .

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dan,
"Too much oil"? I think you may have misunderstood your mechanic. I think what he was referring to was a fuel rich odor caused by the carb. Maybe a carb rebuild is due? What did he do to "dial it down"?

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Do you also get soot on your transom? An improperly adjusted carb will cause both.

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Get carb worked out, .

As mentioned, I feel you need some work on the carb. What did your "mechanic" do to "dial it down"?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 10:10am
My buddy Shawn bought Brian's (Hotboat) '91 with the through hull exhaust. I have to say it sounds sweet. I thought it would be obnoxious to foot behind, but I was wrong. At 100' and at water level, it sounds like my boat. From the shore, it sounds a little like a drag boat. The other nice thing is that it's not too load inside the boat.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2016 at 1:56pm

1991 Barefoot

1991 Barefoot with extra exhaust port

Was thinking of using something like this to split the exhaust at the bottom instead of cutting a second exhaust port in the hull. I think this would be a pretty good option.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic