NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hot Engine Restart Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot Engine Restart Question
    Posted: September-25-2016 at 7:15am
Hi guys, I had a frustrating thing happen & was hoping someone had a piece of advice. I have an 88 2001 with the 351. It runs great but if I shut it off when it's hot (e.g., picking up a skier), it won't restart. If I try too long, it seems to becomes harder to turn over & eventually kills the battery. If I restart it immediately or let it cool off by idling, it doesn't seem to happen. Flooding the engine before restart seems to help. Seems like I've got some kind of vapor lock happening. Hasn't been a problem for 25 yrs, but now twice this year (grrrr).
1988SkiNautique2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2016 at 8:04am
Originally posted by JHadji JHadji wrote:

Flooding the engine before restart seems to help. .

John,
Fill us in on what you mean by the above. If you are advancing the throttle to get the engine to start, then I suspect the carb is dripping fuel flooding the engine. Advancing the throttle give the engine more air overcoming the excess fuel. Immediately after a hot shutdown, look down the throat of the carb and see if there's any fuel dripping. It sounds like you will need a carb rebuild.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 10:12am
Sounds like its time for a carb overhaul.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 10:47am

Hasn't been a problem for 25 yrs, but now twice this year (grrrr).

LOL. not vapor lock. Find someone to help you look a the carburetor.
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 3:11pm
Thanks - I'll take the advice and focus on the carburetor. It's been quite a few years since retuning for ethanol. Will let you know if it solves the problem
1988SkiNautique2001
frozenskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frozenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2016 at 1:03pm
I had an 89 w the same engine and same problem. Carb rebuild kit did the trick, wish I had done that much sooner.
JHadji View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHadji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 8:57pm
Thanks for corroborating that! Parts changing gets time consuming and expensive pretty quick. A new or rebuilt carb doesn't seem unreasonable at her age. I'm wondering...is it plug & play or is there more of an art? I've tinkered with them in old cars, but admit I'm scared of tuning one on the boat
1988SkiNautique2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2016 at 10:18pm

Thanks for corroborating that! Parts changing gets time consuming and expensive pretty quick. A new or rebuilt carb doesn't seem unreasonable at her age. I'm wondering...is it plug & play or is there more of an art? I've tinkered with them in old cars, but admit I'm scared of tuning one on the boat

If it runs good, chances are you just need to get a carb kit and give it a cleaning and it'll only set you back about 40 bucks you could also splurge for a Holley book that gives carb rebuild steps and lots of pictures. There are several on the market.

To get the right rebuild kit, you need to get the list number off the air horn on the carb

The picture shows where to find it. The pictured carburetor is in a car, but the location of the list number is the same.

You'll save a bunch of money and learn how these old carbs function and maybe have some fun doing it

KenO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic