Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 Ski Nautique 2001 with a Chevy 350?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CaptainDinghy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainDinghy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 Ski Nautique 2001 with a Chevy 350?
    Posted: August-24-2016 at 2:09am
Hey Folks,

New user here snooping at a new (to me) boat for wakeboarding and general fun on the water.

I saw a listing for what appears to be a good price on a 1986 Ski Nautique 2001, however it has a Chevy 350 for the motor. In most of my research so far, I've never seen the Chevy power plant in this boat. Is the seller mistaken or was it an option at the time? He did say it was a 25th anniversary model if that makes any difference.

Also, how worried should a person be about the wood stringers. He says they are solid and he has always stored it indoors. However, he's only owned it the last 6 years. Im not sure about previous owners. Has around 1150 hours.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
CD
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 10:15am
Link the ad or post some pics and we can tell you for sure, my 1980 had a factory 350 in it, not 100% sure but CC likely offered a 350 in 1989 as well.
25th anniversary of what, lol, look at 1986's in the diaries if you want to see the Silver Nautique.
You need to inspect the stringers yourself, there are some good threads out there explaining that process, IIRC user Morfoot posted a very good one some years ago.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 10:59am
It's probably a 1986 model since those say 25 right on the dash. Chevy 350 was an option.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainDinghy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 11:14am
Here's the link to the listing. My bad - it is a 1986. I must be dyslexic or something..

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/boa/5721087406.html

Pictures are no help because he never took the cover off, however he did send me a couple more pictures via text - but they didn't help much. The boat is about a 2 hour drive from me, so it's not like I can just buzz over there quick. So, I'm trying to do some back end research to decide if it's even worth the drive or not.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainDinghy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 11:19am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

IIRC user Morfoot posted a very good one some years ago.

Pretty sure I had to google what IIRC means... uhh. I'm only in my early 30's... I feel like I should know these things!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 11:19am
2 hours is not a long drive to go look at a 30 year old boat... Maybe you should just buy a Bayliner from the local dealer.
bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 11:33am
Pick up the phone and call and ask him to send you more pictures. Explain you're 2 hours away...if he's serious about selling he should gladly oblige.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 11:52am
Seems like a good deal - It maybe an 86 but NOT a 25th anniversary model.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 11:52am
Work on getting some additional pic's, his ad does not show much. Look thru the diaries and the reference section 1986 brochure, should give you a better idea what an 86' should look like. Not a big fan of those monster towers, IMHO I would deduct value because of it, lol.

Don't mind Hollywood, he also is in his 30's but he is married which makes him cranky like a little biatch, as one would expect :)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/boa/5721087406.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainDinghy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:15pm
Sounds like Hollywood is having a rough week.... I've got nothing against Bayliners.

I'm also married with a little kiddo at home. 2 hours one way; which of course turns into at least 5 or 6 hours away from home when you figure in the inspection time stopping for food, etc. That's a significant amount of time... not that I need to justify my actions or anything.

Anyway... this guy has been less than responsive. I have talked with him and explained that I'm not that close to him and would like some better pictures... he doesn't seem too eager to sell it.

Are any of you located near Duluth, MN? (thats where the boat is). I know it's a long shot, but it would be awesome if someone who knows their Nautique's would be willing to join me on an inspection. I would obviously make it worth their while in beer or some greenbacks.

I've been around boats and mechanics a lot and do all my own work, but nevertheless, nothing beats a trained eye.

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainDinghy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:21pm
Also, here are a couple extra pics of the inside. I do see that big "25" on the dash now, so it does appear to be the 25th Anniversary model. Listing says the exterior was redone with new gel coat and graphics... they must have taken the liberty to change the styling a little?

bb12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:26pm
Looks pretty clean, but where is the monster tower? And all 86's had the "25" on the dash.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

It's probably a 1986 model since those say 25 right on the dash.

You don't have an Anniversary MODEL. Those are Silver Nautiques.

Looks like a clean boat. Not the more common deluxe interior.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainDinghy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:32pm
Ok gotcha. You can tell I'm new to these boats and trying to learn. Thanks.

I did notice there was no tower on those pics. Not sure when he put the tower on. I'll have to ask how old those pics are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainDinghy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:37pm
I've also been eyeballing this one:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/5724429433.html

However, when I asked if the stringers were solid they said... "what are stringers..." I'm not so confident in the maintenance abilities of this person, but who knows. Trying to get them on the phone yet to talk more.

I do like the two captains chairs.

[update]**Take a close look at the back of the trailer. What the heck is going on there!?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:44pm
Looks like a decent buy as long as not rotted and his Gel Redo is a polish/buff not a paint job. Stickers/lettering he put on are a hack job, not even close to what was on it originally, that's easy to fix or just leave it if you don't care. I could not look at that tower everyday so it would be gone, if you don't care, just leave it.
If you are interested in the boat, drive up there and check it out, if all is OK, buy it and tow it home!! Leave at 5am and you will be home before noon. If you really want some help start a new thread asking for someone up there to meet you, buy them lunch a big box of beers.
Better hurry, lakes are probably about ready to start icing in up there!!
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:44pm
See my Silver Nautique
Black, with rainbow metal flake on the side.
They made 82 of them. On the transom opposite corner
from the hull ID is 00XII 12th one out of the mold.

Still it looks like a nice ride from here...
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:51pm
The Dominique is a cool boat but will have a hard slalom wake, wakeboard wake I have heard is good and bad, that is the same hull as a barefoot nautique so will be a great barefoot wake. What motor? Trailer is for a ski nautique, why he has it all shimed up like that, if you plan on trailering and are not right on the water you will probably need a different trailer.

Edit that, looked at those pics again, thinking the boat on the trailer with the guide posts is actually a different boat & trailer??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainDinghy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 12:52pm
Thanks guys. I'll try again to get more pictures and info from this guy. Might take a look this Sunday if I can get a hold of him.

Thanks for the advice so far! I'm sure I'll have more questions coming up.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 1:17pm
The blue Dominique is on a NWZ trailer and in our Diaries here, probably just used it as a better representation of his own boat! It's definitely not the same vessel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainDinghy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Edit that, looked at those pics again, thinking the boat on the trailer with the guide posts is actually a different boat & trailer??

Oh yeah... you're right. I compared the registration numbers from the pictures in the water to the one with the jacked up trailer - those are the same, but cant read the numbers on the pic with the proper trailer.

Looks like a mess.... I will never understand how people can care so little about the condition and maintenance of their things - be that cars, boats, etc...
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 2:51pm
i know it might be a bit farther, but if you are wanting to primarily wakeboard, have you considered a Sport Nautique? Not sure what your price range is, but here is one that isn't a lot more than the dominique.

91 sport

if you keep an eye out for a 93 or newer you wouldn't have to worry about stringers as they started using composite that year.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainDinghy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 3:13pm
Actually that sport nautique is only one town over from me. haha. Unfortunately, that price is higher than I want to swing right now. Maybe he'd drop a couple grand now that the lakes should be freezing over soon! LOL.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2016 at 3:25pm
Doesn't hurt to go take a look.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainDinghy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2016 at 4:40pm
Hey folks. I got some more pictures of the 1986 Nautique. Had a tree come through his shed during the last storm so the windshield is busted - however that means the price has dropped some more - I might start a new thread on that issue...

I hope to go look at it this Saturday, but I was hoping I could borrow some of your trained eyes on these pictures. Is there anything you see on these pics that would be concerning to you?

I plan to do the various stringer tests (motor/trans bolts and tap test); compression test; spin the prop by hand to check for any wobble/etc; anything else?

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2016 at 4:52pm
I could be wrong as the pictures are small but I see signs of possibly being frozen ( raw water strainer hose crack, raw water strainer bucket looks cracked) and the risers are leaking water.   I would definitely keep a sharp eye out for other things.   
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 12:54am
Motor or heads have been replaced at some point. I have an original 87 that still has good old 4 bolt valve covers on it. That is a much newer set of heads. I agree with above there is some busted up stuff in that bay. Be very careful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic