Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'95 GT40 occasional hard starting?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '95 GT40 occasional hard starting?
    Posted: August-19-2016 at 4:09pm
Every once in a while my '95, 351W, multiport injection engine will be hard to start. It will fire a couple of times, cough and quit and it will do this many times until I give up and wait ten minutes. It doesn't happen very often but I'm afraid I could get stranded somewhere and it's discomforting. Otherwise it runs great.

Could it be the high pressure fuel pump, or?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2016 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by 1xsculler 1xsculler wrote:

Could it be the high pressure fuel pump, or?

Connect a pressure gauge up to the Schrader valve.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2016 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by 1xsculler 1xsculler wrote:

Could it be the high pressure fuel pump

Yep
   It seems that over time it gets worse (happens more often) the HP pumps are no longer available for that system. The alternative is to convert to an FCC system like the later models for about $750
I am working on a MUCH cheaper alternative should be able to do some testing next week. I'll report back after testing.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2016 at 4:53pm
How many boats do you have?   I think we have talked about the 94 TBI boat, the 92 Sport, and now a 95 too?   Is your last name Benjamin    some pictures would be great,   we love seeing that stuff!
1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2016 at 7:26pm
I've owned my '94 Ski Nautique, TBI, since new and had it exclusively in salt water on a buoy or a lift for every summer since flushing it in May and October only. This is the boat I thought I was going to have to ditch the TBI and Protec in favor of a carb and distributor until I determined a faulty oil pressure sender was putting the ECM in Limp Mode which made it vibrate violently at 2800 rpm.

I owned a '92 Sport N for two days only as my wife didn't approve of me spending the winter restoring it.

I've owned my '95 Sport N, GT40 MPI, for about two weeks and it is a keeper as it is nearly in mint condition and requires nothing except solving the occasional difficult to start problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic