Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

flush kit, Timmy "T", what am I doing wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 11:09pm
You could look at it a couple of different ways

It's worked for 22 years, so it should keep working

Or it's worked for 22 years and sooner or later your luck will run out........but when?

1xsculler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1xsculler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 11:54pm
Why wouldn't my method completely clear all areas of the cooling system so long as the T-stat is open and the antifreeze/water mix comes out of the exhaust?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 9:50am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Or it's worked for 22 years and sooner or later your luck will run out........but when?

Ken,
Bob's been lucky due to his location! The average low temp in Gig Harbor is 38      
Originally posted by 1xsculler 1xsculler wrote:

Why wouldn't my method completely clear all areas of the cooling system so long as the T-stat is open and the antifreeze/water mix comes out of the exhaust?

Because different water passages have different flow characteristics so they all won't get the same amount of mix plus, there's no guarantee of a thorough mix so you may not get any protection way back in small water passages.

The danger of posting this method is someone new to winterizing will happen upon it, feel it's a proper method, try it and then have a big surprise come spring. There are members who have reported that surprise because they didn't drain first.

DO NOT USE THE PUMP THROUGH METHOD WITHOUT COMPLETLY DRAINING THE SYSTEM!!! USE THE PRESCRIBED METHOD PER THE OWNERS MANUAL.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 9:59am
Bob, the old fellas are correct and you should really follow their advice. Drain is pretty simple and only takes a few minutes, then do your suck up method and you will never have a problem.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 10:24am
Originally posted by 1xsculler 1xsculler wrote:

Because you don't understand the cooling system. Antifreeze out the exhaust does not equal complete freeze protection.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 1:34pm
If my memory (and the CCF search function) is right, 1X is the same guy that flushes his salt water boat once a year, and has to run with no thermostat to keep his temps down to 160.

The drain plugs may have never been out of it. Can't remember if the original plugs were cast iron, brass or what but they might be in there for the duration.

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 2:09pm
Ken, your memory serves you partially correct. 1x had a 94 that was a salt boat, but purchased an open bow this year, I believe it was a sport.       

1x- Boats do freeze here... my 94 is a good example.   It froze hard, and blew out the soft plugs, cracked the exhausts and the intake manifold.   I think that you have been fortunate to get all of the cracks and crevices covered in the past, but it also sounds like you are using the green antifreeze since you are mixing it with water.    The RV antifreeze (pink stuff) is supposed to be used undiluted, which is why the flush only method is such a problem.   BTW, the pink stuff (not Pentosin) is the preferred antifreeze since it doesn't cause environmental damage if it gets in the water in the spring.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

it also sounds like you are using the green antifreeze since you are mixing it with water. . the pink stuff is the preferred antifreeze since it doesn't cause environmental damage if it gets in the water in the spring.

I think I'll refrain from buying wild caught salmon from the pacific northwest! My body is already environmentally damaged enough!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2016 at 5:13pm

Ken, your memory serves you partially correct. 1x had a 94 that was a salt boat, but purchased an open bow this year, I believe it was a sport.

I think he has 2 boats. The original 94 SN and a 95 SN both mentioned in the first post of this thread and there was some mention of a Sport that he had for a couple of days or something.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2016 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

it also sounds like you are using the green antifreeze since you are mixing it with water. . the pink stuff is the preferred antifreeze since it doesn't cause environmental damage if it gets in the water in the spring.

I think I'll refrain from buying wild caught salmon from the pacific northwest! My body is already environmentally damaged enough!   

I am sure the amount of green antifreeze that X1 put in the sound is probably the least of your worries.    I have always drained only, but was under the impression that I could just drain the pink in the spring and then go to the lake.   Do I need to take other precautions to make sure it is all flushed out?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic