NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tower on 99 Sport?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tower on 99 Sport?
    Posted: August-02-2016 at 11:23pm
To tower or not to tower? I hate the cable from the flyhigh with my walkthrough bow. I also hate taking the flyhigh down to slalom. I was against adding a tower until I realized it was an option for the boat (wanting to keep it original). Thoughts on a tower in this boat?    This is still in the thought process so opinions are welcome as I am mixed on whether it is worth it or not.

Anyone have a lead on a used black FCT2 (close enough to original as I am not a fan of the original FCT). The most recent FCT2 that I saw for sale was in Canada on PN.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 12:05am
What do you need the high tow point for? Would a factory tall pylon (18" taller) work instead?

Why do you need to take the extended pylon down to slalom? It should have a low tow point.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 1:12am
The high tow point is great for all kid's towing/learning, air chair, and wakeboard. Understood it isn't a must have for any of those and sometimes it doesn't go in the boat for the weekend. Also nice to free up seating in the back. Alternative is to run rope from pylon through lifting eye which we do when skiing with too many people in the boat to run the pylon..

My fly high (not fly high brand) doesn't have a tow eye. I have thought about drilling it and adding an eye.

The taller pylon is an in between option that I hadn't considered.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 1:39am
You can get a clamp on tow point...fit anywhere you want and move whenever...Barefoot international makes it...just call with the diameter
This is the life
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 1:46am
David,

I have a 2002 Sport Nautique that I had at Greg's Badin Lake Mini last October and the White Lake Event earlier this year. My boat did not come with a tower, but the FCT 2 was a Factory Option. I drove to Boston Mass to pick-up a 2001 Air Nautique / Sport FCT 2 Tower that I found on this site which was also listed on Planet Nautique that I added to the boat right before Greg's event. My oldest daughter Madeleine is a Wake boarder and my youngest Natalie is a course skier. I prefer the brass pole, some call me an artist.

I boat on Norman, but I would be more than happy to bring the boat to Badin to hang out with you and Greg to let you see if you like the tower on the Sport hull, or you could come over to Norman and I can give you a ride and let you drive. Basically, you could see for yourself if you want to add the FCT 2 by checking out my boat.

I am very happy with my choice. I live lake view so I go out for the day and the sport has the nice ski locker, but the tower keeps the wake boards off the floor. I have a Tower Bimini's Inc. Bimini that works great with the tower. I have been happy with my choice and I like the higher tow point for training new skiers. Having a tower will affect your cover if you use one. I have a tower fit cover on my boat.

I found a gray tower and took it to a local powder coating shop and they put a black gloss finish on it that matched the windshield and I was happy with the results. I installed it myself with my daughter's help.

Just let me know if you want to check it out.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 11:03am
Hey David,

There are definitely pro's and con's to having a tower. Both my 99' Sport/Air and 206 had/have the factory extended pylon and FCT, prior boats used a flight pipe extended pylon.
Pros:
Storage, Tower Bimini's are great no straps and rock solid fit, high tow point and being able to have back seat passengers when towing from the tower, transom light can go up there, if u want more sound tower makes a great speaker mount.
Cons:
Covering, never met a 4 point tower cover I ;liked, it will take 3x longer to cover the boat, weight if slalom wake is really important, if you need to fold often the FCT2 folds easy unless you have a tower bimini, if so it will need to be booted to fold the tower.

Regarding the factory extended pylon, other then a 3rd tow point height it also makes a great tent pole for your cover!! It will not get the rope high enough to clear back seat passengers. Tower will however you still need to be careful when line slacks or snaps back.

IMO the pro's out weigh the cons hands down particularly how you use your boat.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 12:22pm
There's no denying the benefits of a tower. However, Dave has his own dock so storing boards for the day doesn't seem to be a priority. The simplest solution to his problem is mounting a low tow point. I'd suggest this, as is seen on the majority of extended pylons. Pop out your roll pin, drill the second hole, mount and cut flush the studs. The vertical mounting studs seem to be harder to find.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ski-Tow-Ring-2-1-2-Vertical-SSRI19007-V2-9-/221793347499

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 1:15pm
I bought a 99 Sport and it had a tower already on it. We needed it for the storage benefits and getting stuff off the floor. Our situation has changed and we now have a semi-permanent residence (houseboat) on a lake so we keep all the extra stuff off the boat. I don't wakeboard/surf, and I don't/didn't like the looks of the boat with the tower vs. without, so I removed it. I don't see myself ever putting it back on so I'd be willing to sell it if you want it. It's an "AirBoom" that kinda/sorta looks like the factory FCT2 but not quite. The bimini top is a custom unit to fit inside the tower and could also be part of the deal.

PM me if interested.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Pros:
Storage, Tower Bimini's are great no straps and rock solid fit, high tow point and being able to have back seat passengers when towing from the tower, transom light can go up there, if u want more sound tower makes a great speaker mount.
Cons:
Covering, never met a 4 point tower cover I ;liked, it will take 3x longer to cover the boat, weight if slalom wake is really important, if you need to fold often the FCT2 folds easy unless you have a tower bimini, if so it will need to be booted to fold the tower.

I agree with what quinner said. Last year I left our tower at the winter storage place to use the boat in the spring and regretted leaving the tower. I retrieved it the following month :)

I haven't used other covers and unfortunately the PO used a snap cover on the boat, but the cutouts for the tower mounting points are just velcro flaps that seem to work just fine. I wouldn't say there is an additional amount of time to put the cover on due to those flaps.

We have the Big Air H20 tower and though it does require "logistical planning" (or a second person), folding it isn't that bad, 3 pins and the front legs slide out. What I didn't like is that when its folded in the garage, its cumbersome to work on anything in the boat. So I put an eye-bolt in the garage ceiling and use a rope to keep the tower up and out of the way. Takes about 10 seconds.

My buddy has a MC PS 200 with a fly high, he can store it in the closed bow which makes being in the way a non-issue. In the SpN , it would have to be on the floor, so less desirable and a toe-breaker. It would either have to get put up right away, or left back at the dock.

The only other "con" i could think of, i always trailer the boat with it up (i don't want it bouncing or marring the doghouse) which creates more drag. I can't say it's a huge difference, but maybe reduces fuel economy by 3-4 mpg.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 3:12pm
quinner is talking about a drawstring cover. there are clips at each leg to reconnect the rope. if you pull one through it's a major PITA to recover the lost string

snap cover makes no difference, except now you have 2 eye sores, tower and snaps!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

snap cover makes no difference, except now you have 2 eye sores, tower and snaps!

lmao, he is correct about the snaps being easier and them being an eyesore. Any non-snap cover is going to be a pita to put on/off.

I like the way my tower looks though
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

unfortunately the PO used a snap cover on the boat

LOL HW. I agree, I absolutely HATE the snaps on the gunwale. the rope catches on them, wiping off the boat is a PITA, they look terrible, etc.... But I don't want to remove them, fill the holes AND get a new cover since this one works. It's garage kept, so we don't use the cover all that often anyway, so to get a different cover would be at the end of my "stuff to get" list.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 4:01pm
Next time look for a boat with snaps halfway down the hull.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 5:06pm

Our snap cover fits awesome and tows great...but other than that I hate it. Snaps leave dirty streaks down the gel when it gets wet, the snaps themselves look bad and prohibit cleaning/buffing/waxing, plus they make terrific crack propagation points!

I'm slowly getting the boat to look the way I want it.

Step 1: Remove tower/mounts (done)
Step 2: Replace custom bimini meant for tower (looks too narrow without tower)
Step 3: Fill & gel snap mounting holes

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 6:07pm
Cool looking Sport Craig! I have never seen that color scheme in that era boat. Is the lower white stripe tape or gel?

To the OP, they are pricey but New Dimensions Towers make a replica of the 2nd generation FCT that would be a perfect match for your boat. If you don't see a used FCT come along that might be a good option for you. When I got tired of fixing the broken welds on my gen 1 FCT I replaced it with an NDT and couldn't be happier. Between shipping, wiring, powder coating, integrated light and board racks I had almost $2600 into it. More than I wanted to spend but I got tired of waiting for a used one to come along.

New Dimension Towers
1999 Python Super Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 6:31pm
It is actually 2 pinstripe decals, one white (bottom) and one silver (top). There is another silver stripe at the transition to the white gel.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2016 at 11:28pm
Thanks for all of the ideas and opinions.

Donald, your boat is actually the one that I have had in my head as what mine will look like. Granted it is 3 yrs newer but they are very similar and I think yours looks great with the black FCT2.

Hollywood, great find on that vertical mount tow point. That is perfect for me in the meantime. I need to measure the diameter of my flyhigh to see if the 3" bolts will go through. It will be a big help but will still leave the issue of the cable in the bow area. I may have to deal with that. I had been looking at some horizontal mount tow points. The clamp on BI tow point looks good too, but this would be a better value I suspect. I couldn't find a price on the BI tow point in my limited search today.

Craig, thanks for the offer. Your tower looks good and does look like the FCT2. That said, I am in no rush and would like to try to find an FCT2. Great looking boat!

As for the cover, I'll just take it to a shop to add some Velcro "slits". I think I can figure out a design to work if I should find the right tower.

I have seen the New Dimensions tower but I am not looking to spend that much.

Please keep an eye out for a FCT2 at a good price.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2016 at 1:10am
David,
I am setting my tent up in Greg's and Sue's front yard this week to ensure a good spot for the Badin Lake Mini in October. I will have my boat there in October and you and your family can give it a try to see what you think as far as the sport with the FCT2. The tent is not that comfortable, but will be close to the port a potty.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2016 at 10:41am
David,

There is a factory extended pylon that was just listed on PN for sale in case you are interested.
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/classified-group-buy-section/gear-for-sale-by-owner/495979-extended-pylon
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2016 at 11:02pm
Thanks, but I am going to look for a FCT2 and or add a ring to my flyhigh. The extended pylon doesn't open up the back seat from what others are saying. Thanks for keeping an eye out!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2016 at 1:53pm
The "ski tow" I pulled off a BI pole had 3.5" studs. The OD of the aluminum poles (1 or 2 piece) are typically 3" BI or Skylon. Too bad BI cross threaded one of the nuts and the stud snapped when I removed it.

Exactly what pole do you have David?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2016 at 11:52pm
I don't now the brand. It may be a custom job. I bought it off of craigslist. It is well used. Going to measure the od of the pole/tube this weekend.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2016 at 9:07pm
OD is 2 7/8". With 3" studs, not sure I can make that ring work.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 10:16pm
Update - Got an out of the blue text from Hollywood with a ring and finger tow point for my flyhigh. Christmas is coming early. Thanks for remembering my search, Hollywood.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2016 at 10:23pm

There's no denying the benefits of a tower. However, Dave has his own dock so storing boards for the day doesn't seem to be a priority. The simplest solution to his problem is mounting a low tow point. I'd suggest this, as is seen on the majority of extended pylons. Pop out your roll pin, drill the second hole, mount and cut flush the studs. The vertical mounting studs seem to be harder to find.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ski-Tow-Ring-2-1-2-Vertical-SSRI19007-V2-9-/221793347499

AND they rock for tubing!
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2016 at 5:42am
Not the same boat, but I love my tower, great for guys learning, I am also a wakeboarder so its a no brainer for me, I prefer the bimini with the tower rather than just a bimini.

I manage to slalom just fine off the highpoint.

Only thing that is a little annoying is the height of the whole rig considering I have to tow anywhere I go, and all the places I may have to stop on the way have height restrictions, also have to use alternate entrances to our local spots because they have nice entrances with arch ways which I do not fit under with the tower up. (Sometimes this is actually a blessing as I don't wait in line to enter)

Also its fun being irresponsible and jumping off the top of the tower on those relaxing boat days out on the water.

Have used high pylon extensions before and they strapping on the one we used was annoying to say the least, especially when move around the boat,
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2017 at 10:13pm
Thanks again Hollywood.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic