Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Ski Nautique 3000rpm max!?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FirstNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FirstNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 Ski Nautique 3000rpm max!?
    Posted: July-24-2016 at 11:49pm
Just picked up a 79 Ski Nautique with the 350. I brought it to my mechanic and had timing done, carb cleaned, new plugs, general look over.

Boat starts right up, runs smooth, in neutral I can rev it right up with no hesitation... once in gear it is smooth acceleration to 3000rpm and roughly 30mph top speed. This can't be normal, everything I heard this boat should pull hard out of the hole compared to my old 3.0L mercruiser.

It has a 13x13 prop, I am new to inboards so any help please, like I said it seems to be running smooth, just not a there!

Thanks in advance, sorry for for long post...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 7:36am
Ian,
The 3000 and 30 is not normal. Did the mechanic water test? I ask since if so, he should have known something wasn't correct. Did he say anything? You mention he timed the engine. Did he check the advance? You mention he cleaned the carb. Did he check to see if the secondary's are opening?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FirstNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 7:57am
He did not water test. When I dropped it off the boat ran very rough. What should the advance be?

Like I said I found it weird the motor revved up to 4800 rpm near instantly in neutral, and sounded very strong. But was sluggish in gear.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 8:44am
Ian,
The advance should not exceed a final of 35 degrees. Did the mechanic check to see if the advance mechanism was free to move? They will rust up.

Regarding the RPM in neutral, without a load you can crank it up until engine parts start flying through the side of the block!! IE: it's meaningless.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FirstNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 8:55am
Ok thanks for the guidance, I am very new to these boats and will call the mechanic today and ask what the advance was set at.

Is a 13x13 a good prop for this boat?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 9:24am
Also have him check that the secondaries are opening.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 9:36am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Also have him check that the secondaries are opening.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ian,
Did he check to see if the secondary's are opening?

Chris,
My ADD must be rubbing off on you?!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FirstNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 9:41am
Maybe I should see if he checked the secondaries!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 9:54am
Maybe you should check your secondaries

BTW the only way they'll open is under load so hopefully he's running this on the water after he does work on it

Just to add a little to what Pete said your advance should be about 10 at idle (some might say 6 ) and as speed goes up the advance should go up to numbers like 12 at 1000, 20 at 2000 and hit about 34-36 at 3000 or so just to give you an idea. Those are not hard and fast numbers, just an example.

Otherwise if the timing isn't advancing fully, like Pete said, it's time to check weights and springs.

13x13 is a good prop and it was the original prop on SN's from that time.

You should end up at 4500+ RPM's and 45+ MPH if things are straightened out.

KenO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 9:56am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

13x13 is a good prop and it was the original prop on SN's from that time.
KenO

Plus 1. That's what's on my Tique.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 9:58am
Originally posted by FirstNautique FirstNautique wrote:

Maybe I should see if he checked the secondaries!

What did he actually do to the carb? Hopefully just not a quick exterior spray with an aerosol!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 9:59am
Ian,
Remember:

BTW the only way they'll open is under load so hopefully he's running this on the water after he does work on it
KenO

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FirstNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 10:02am
Thanks for all the input guys, I will post as soon as I hear back from him.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 10:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Ian,
Remember:

KenO

I wouldn't really expect the secondaries to be open at 3000 rpm on a 350 or 351 that's running as it should be.

Should be loafing along on the primaries at that point and in the high 3000's range they should open very smoothly and you would hardly notice it.

I'd be looking at the distributor first.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 10:53am
Right. That boat should top at 38mph on just the primaries

Also double check the firing order and plug wires, two jugs not firing will max out about 30.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FirstNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:06am
There is an HEI distributor on the motor, with an orange cap over the vacuum advance nipple.. Should this have a line to a ported fitting on the carb? could this be the issue? the distributor is the same as this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-Chevy-Performance-HEI-Distributor-Red-Cap-Super-Coil-305-350-400-Small-Block-/221436292290
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:18am
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:27am

There is an HEI distributor on the motor, with an orange cap over the vacuum advance nipple.. Should this have a line to a ported fitting on the carb? could this be the issue? the distributor is the same as this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-Chevy-Performance-HEI-Distributor-Red-Cap-Super-Coil-305-350-400-Small-Block-/221436292290

Ian,
That's not a marine distributor! Marines do not use vacuum advances. Don't buy it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FirstNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:38am
what kind of issues could this give me in this case? should i change to a marine distributor?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:41am

what kind of issues could this give me in this case? should i change to a marine distributor?

Advance problems due to a marine engine being under load and not developing the correct vacuum for the needed advance. Also, it may not be ignition protected so there's a potential for a big BOOM!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FirstNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 11:44am
So if i put on the proper distributor, a marine one that doesn't have the vacuum advance, it should theoretically run better and not blow me up?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FirstNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 12:26pm
Will a used electronic marine Mallroy distributor work for my application? seller also has one with points..
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 12:39pm

So if i put on the proper distributor, a marine one that doesn't have the vacuum advance, it should theoretically run better and not blow me up?

Yes on both counts

Points or electronic would be your choice.

A picture or part number for each would be good to be able to make sure it's a marine distributor and keep your body in one piece.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 12:46pm
Yes, that distributor is a risk to all aboard and is certainly a performance issue. The presence of the vacuum diaphragm is a dead giveaway it is not marine safe and not marine calibration.

Snap us a few pictures of the engine. There may be other items that have been hacked, we'll get you straight and safe.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 8:31pm
order a DUI marine distributor for a small block chev no matter what else you do. make sure you have a marine carb if not park it somewhere til you buy a marine 600 cfm carb. if you dont have both currently dont play with it. stop. Buy what you need and start over.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic