Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas additive Stabil?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
cragginshred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cragginshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas additive Stabil?
    Posted: July-23-2016 at 1:20pm
In the context of leaving your boat sitting for months with a full tank of gas, Is there a higher end fuel preservation than the traditional 'Marine Stabil'
My brother sells 'BG' products and they claim to have a more effective form of Gas preservation.

Thoughts? What do you all use?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2016 at 2:12pm
I have seen miracles happen with sea foam.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2016 at 2:15pm
Been using Seafoam for last 3 years, haven't had any problem with gas going bad.   Mine sits for 9 months.   It's cheaper than Stabil.

Best practice is to store it with non-ethanol.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2016 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

but with long term storage still use Sea-foam even with non ethanol.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2016 at 8:40pm
ive seen small engines that have sat and had ethanol issues run up and down almost stalling and then rev to where they bounce off the governor . put seafoam in . more than instructions call for then watch it settle down and run as it should right before your eyes..miracle i tell you
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 11:50am
Sea foam = another snake oil
Watched the neighbor go through 4 cans after pulling his quad out of a 2 year lay-up. After listening to him rev it up continuously for 2 days I went over pulled the carb took it apart cleaned it and presto. If he would have taken the carb off like I told him at the beginning he would have saved the cost of the 4 cans of snake oil and would have been riding all weekend instead of driving me nuts listening to him revving it up all weekend.
Sea foam is nothing but pale oil which is parts cleaner.
cragginshred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cragginshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 1:14pm
Still confused.......why sefoam over stabile? Nappa guys said use stabil
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Mine sits for 9 months.   It's cheaper than Stabil.

Geez Chris...you got that boat stored in a museum or what?

Stabil ain't that expensive! You're only talking a couple extra bucks.

I've been using Sta-bil for years without any issues whatsoever. Last run of the season I fill the tank up with non ethanol gas, Dump in the right amount of Sta-bil and run the boat for a hour or so. Fires right up after a little coaxing after sitting 2 months.

I've heard several stories of guys having issues with Seafoam. Not one with Sta-bil. Don't know the specifics of one over the other but negativity by word of mouth was good enough for me to stay away from the SeaFoam.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 3:11pm
I use nothing in the tank for layup....never have. May not be correct but until I am proved otherwise (and I usually am!). I'm sticking with my protocol
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Sea foam = another snake oil
Watched the neighbor go through 4 cans after pulling his quad out of a 2 year lay-up. After listening to him rev it up continuously for 2 days I went over pulled the carb took it apart cleaned it and presto. If he would have taken the carb off like I told him at the beginning he would have saved the cost of the 4 cans of snake oil and would have been riding all weekend instead of driving me nuts listening to him revving it up all weekend.
Sea foam is nothing but pale oil which is parts cleaner.
If as you say it is parts cleaner and apparently has an equivilant of dry gas then you must see that it has some benefits as described above.. I believe snake oil doesnt have any effect on its intended use.?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 4:31pm
pale oil , naphtha, IPA

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 5:51pm

pale oil , naphtha, IPA

I suggest you look up to see what carb cleaner is these days. I have a 5 gal pail of pale oil, naphtha and IPA and that even includes the free dipping basket!! I did however not buy it with the optional snakes! The EPA doesn't like Berryman anymore!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 10:23pm

pale oil , naphtha, IPA

Just saying what's in it and it won't do much in the way of fuel storage.
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 10:48pm
Has anyone tried Gas Shok
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 11:20pm
Its all alcohol based.. Its not going to get rid of water.It will slow the varnishing process.. best thing is take the time to drain fuel for storage and run carb dry. If its a minor amout of water thats what the water separators for. Ive used stabil for short periods of a couple months to try to keep gas a little fresh but im not sure how well it worked.Still smelled like ass when burned.
my 1980 SN is mad at my 2009 HD
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2016 at 1:22am
So this is a highly debated subject but A friend of mine is the owner of a oil and fuel delivery business with over 250 trucks on the east coast. And he hates ethanol more than anyone i have ever seen and he also employs a few full time chemical engineers.
And he tells me to use THIS STUFF
I have nothing to back up any scientific evidence but i know he has spent more time and money on figuring this stuff out than I ever would have, so what he tells me to use is basically what i use.
What he told me was at the time of him recommending it that it was the only product on the market that actually kept the ethanol from separating and collecting at bottom of tanks and bowls when stored.

I only use ethanol free gas in my small engines though simply because it lasts longer in the tank before clogging up the tiny little idle circuits.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic