NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

No spark

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
barefootdan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No spark
    Posted: July-22-2016 at 1:05pm
So I take my 1991 SN out on Wednesday and all was fine. I go out on Thursday and the boat won't start to me it sounded like as I turn the key the motor just spins, so I pull#1 spark plug wire shove a screw driver in it hold it to ground and turn key to check for spark, no spark.   This boat has an electric mallery ignition in it. Not sure if it is factory or not it was in it when I bought the boat. I tried to push the 2 red buttons on the back of the motor thinking they were some type of breaker but nothing improved. Any thoughts.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 1:23pm
I'd do what you said again, but put the spark plug in the plug wire, hold the hex base of the plug to ground, and look for spark across the normal spark gap. I've done the screwdriver thing and been fooled before, the spark plug won't lie.

If still no spark, go to the basics. I'd check the kill switch first, with bad or disconnected kill switch the engine will still turn over but won't start.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 1:26pm
Yea I did pull plug out and still no spark I also pulled the wire off the cap from the coil and checked for spark, no spark
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 1:31pm
So you are talking about the push button kill switch? One thing that seemed weird is that when I pulled the ground wire off the battery the radio would turn on put the ground back on radio would shut off I don't know what that's about. I just bought boat on Tuesday so I don't know all the ins and outs of this boat yet
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 1:43pm
I dont know what its called but there is a little chip thing under the distributor cap had that go bad once. It did the same thing you are mentioning. I think thats for electronic ignition tho. Sorry i dont know enough about this stuff to know technical terms.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 1:51pm
There should be a kill switch to the right of the driver's seat. I've never been in a '91 so I'm saying this like I know there is one, but to be honest I'm not sure. Assuming it has one, it's a little plastic item with a small red spring loaded plunger, and a clip that holds the plunger down, with a lanyard attached to the clip. If you have one pull the clip off and hold the plunger in by hand and try cranking, if still no spark check the switch with a meter to make sure there is power across the terminals.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 1:58pm
Looks like this.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 2:01pm
Nothing like that on my boat. I've seen those on small outboard motors
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2016 at 2:15pm
Oops, sorry about that, guess they were added later.

You'll have to start at the beginning, see if you have power being supplied to the ignition module, go forward from there. When you mention the push button, I assume you mean the dash ignition breaker.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barefootdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 3:25pm
So I go out to my boat yesterday and it starts. Turn it off and no spark again. I try again and it starts, I think it might be a problem at the key ignition?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2016 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by barefootdan barefootdan wrote:

So I go out to my boat yesterday and it starts. Turn it off and no spark again. I try again and it starts, I think it might be a problem at the key ignition?

Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

You'll have to start at the beginning, see if you have power being supplied to the ignition module, go forward from there. .

"thinking" will not confirm the problem. Get the VOM out as suggested ^^^ and find out what's up!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic