Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator Wiring Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator Wiring Question
    Posted: June-26-2016 at 1:46pm
So in my infinite wisdom when I took my alternator off to have it tested I told my self "I'll remember where those go", ya right. I am now having an issue, when I hook it up. where I think it goes I trip the ignition resister fuse. Can someone help me with the wiring. Where do each of these go? The boat has a male plug for the yellow wire (that one is easy), and one black wire and one red. The boat is an 86 2001 with a 351.

Maybe it's just time to buy a new one? This one has seen better days.

Thanks for the help
Nelson
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 12:46am
This diagram might help:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/index.aspx/ImageGallery/Index?productId=80

The black should go to ground. Is the red wire heavier gauge?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 12:46am
When you go to that link, click next till you get the 4th picture.
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 9:43pm
Thanks for help. Yes there is a heavier gauge wire, it's the positive one from the battery, There are 4 screws on the alternator the top right one is a bit larger and I think is where the heavier gauge wire goes, I also think the two wires coming out of each side of the regulator attached to the bottom two screws (one on each side).

Any thoughts on which one to buy if I just replace it? This site has some really good prices.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-7765-pleasurecraft.aspx

Nelson
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 9:47pm
I was trying use this one on Ebay as a guide.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Correct-Craft-Ski-Nautique-OEM-Alternator-/262009572299?hash=item3d00fccbcb:g:KxgAAOSwyQtVyh~1&vxp=mtr

I am wondering, does there need to be some type of insulator between the nut and the alternator casing? Seems like the positive wire from the battery would just short out on the casing if it didn't.

Nelson
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 1:07am

Here is a wiring diagram of what I believe to be the stock alternator wiring options as well as a delco 10Si automotive option in case you find yourself with one as I did.

The keys to study are:
1. Ground wire (sometimes not present via engine ground)
2. Battery positive wire (always present)
3. Exciter wire (goes to coil)
4. Voltage regulator wire (not always present)

You need to study your alternator's voltage regulator to see if you have one, and if so, which terminals represent the the sensor and which one represents the positive feed..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic