Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Swim Platform  '86 SN 2001...how big is too big?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swim Platform '86 SN 2001...how big is too big?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GravityBad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GravityBad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swim Platform '86 SN 2001...how big is too big?
    Posted: June-23-2016 at 3:07pm
I'm looking at fabricating a swim platform on my '86 - 2001. Taking the same basic design and extending it a little further from the transom. I never liked what seemed, at least for me, the narrow platform. Currently the platform measures 15" from the transom center line to the end of the platform. I was thinking of extending this measurement to 22-24", effectively adding 7-9 inches. I don't see any issues with this but seem to recall someone mentioning they had to raise the platform as theirs changed the wake. I assume they were saying it was touching the water???

I just don't want to dump a pile of cash on exotic woods only to look back and realize what a mistake that was.

Joe

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 3:19pm
Your platform is missing some pieces. It should really be about 20" off of the transom at the center line. At first I thought you were "photoshopping" your platform extending it, thus the weird corners.

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 3:20pm
Hollywood: good catch
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 3:24pm
Someone did that to fit in a garage, I would suspect.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GravityBad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 4:11pm
too funny!
I've had this Nautique for 20 years and always just assumed CC missed the boat on the swim platform size.

Off to the lumber yard!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 4:20pm
So you're missing a full width piece, a row of little pieces, another full width piece, then another row of little pieces. 2 of each.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by GravityBad GravityBad wrote:

I've had this Nautique for 20 years and always just assumed CC missed the boat on the swim platform size.

Now that there is funny!!!
Do you mean to tell us that in 20 years you never saw another platform on a SN and said to yourself "Self " that doesn't look the same as mine it's wider and has nice smooth corners

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GravityBad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 4:24pm
Hollywood,

Is your platform original? Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if my platform is original to the model and shortened or a complete custom job given the routed detail work?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GravityBad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 4:34pm
Gun-driver.

that is funny -

Now i have a case of platform envy.
You never know until you know...sometimes embarrassingly so...

The 80 model Nautiques are few and far between in these parts. I've only seen a few and that was from a distance on the lake. Seems like all my boating friends are of the "Mastercraft / Malibu' type. Maybe i need new friends.

Thanks for setting me straight!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 4:40pm
oops, double clicked
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 4:41pm
Having less wood then your BU and MC buddy's, ouch, that is rough.

You are way overdue for that enlargement!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 4:51pm
That routing is original and unique mostly to the 86 model year. That'll make for a little more work recreating the missing pieces.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GravityBad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 5:02pm
Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I'm now faced with a dilemma. Purchase enough teak to add on to the existing platform or start from scratch using Jatoba which was my original plan. I'll do the math but with the outrageous $$ for teak, I think the Jatoba option may be the way i go. Plus its a project. For me, a fun project an we all like boat projects that AREN'T necessary, right?

I've already had enough 'necessary' boat projects to get on the water so far this year. I will be a nice change of pace.

Thanks again for the responses.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 5:05pm
Do you want to sell the short one??
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GravityBad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Are you interested?

If so, that would definitely be something i would consider if I choose to build another one, Still in the process of figuring out what i want to do although i would say I'm leaning toward building a new one and should know in the next day or 2.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 5:47pm
Teak World used to have an advertisement here. They make jatoba reproduction platforms and such, plenty of them on CCF owner boats. I'd guess they already have the 2001 pattern too if not I can supply a rough sketch.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 5:57pm
That routing is the same as my 85.

You know that this means, right. You don't have a 2001. Instead you have a 1986 Ski Nautique 1908.

The 2001 designation was created because it is 20'01" from the nose to the end of the ski platform.

A member just started parting out an 85 4 days ago on the forum, see if he has his platform still.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

The 2001 designation was created because it is 20'01" from the nose to the end of the ski platform.

False

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GravityBad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 6:22pm

You know that this means, right. You don't have a 2001. Instead you have a 1986 Ski Nautique 1908.

No wonder for the past 20 yrs, all the pretty lake girls get together in a huddle, sneakingly look my way and snicker

Not only did my platform not meet expectations but my overall length was sub par as well.
Years of therapy...resolved
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 6:22pm
They also have them in the CCF store. Several members have bought them and said they are very nice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GravityBad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

False

Hollywood, can you enlighten us because right now I'm feeling a little low with all the lies I've held close to my heart all these years. Kinda like a wife of many years turning out to be a dude.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 6:43pm
First Ski Nautique made by Correct Craft was a 1961 model. Twenty years later they made a 1981 twentieth anniversary edition (Deluxe XX) boat. So what to call the next boat after 20 years? 20 + 01

tip to tail measurement is purely coincidental
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 7:40pm
Lol... thought yours was long enough till you looked at another guys...

Maybe the original owner saved the missing teak?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 8:26pm
Sometimes people on CCFAN are parting out boats and you can find a used one on the site. You can then do the Star-Bright three step deal and you are back in business with the proper sized wood. You can post in the parts wanted area and someone may already have one in their BONE YARD of unused wood
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 10:07am
Geez Donald, not sure how the PO is going to feel about somebody else's wood at his stern
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Decided to go to plan "B"    Found some Jatoba locally that was reasonable Thanks.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic