NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Tique Owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:28am
Keep it as is!!

The red and blue are standard Rust-o-leum safety colors. The boot stripe is an easy mask (use fine line tape) and the "Mustang can be traced, taken to a graphics shop, scanned, cleaned up and then a mask made. A common mask is Gerber.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hotrod5337 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod5337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:37am
maybe it isnt pcm   here it is as it currently sits

I do remember we changed out the manifolds years ago.   motor has 1000 hrs and has not been replaced
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:38am
Thermo Electron with PCM manifolds? Could it be a 302?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod5337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

yes 220hp 302
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:48am
That there is a pretty sweet color scheme on a mustang... are those correctcraft emblems red as well or is it just my screen?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:52am
Awesome !!!

Be proud of it's 1974 Heritage !

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod5337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:53am
this one is ready to ride!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod5337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:54am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

That there is a pretty sweet color scheme on a mustang... are those correctcraft emblems red as well or is it just my screen?

yes red
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod5337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:57am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Awesome !!!

yea im reconsidering the tique lettering now
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 12:01pm
I'd keep it a Mustang. We have a Tique and I like the Mustang better and there seems to be fewer of them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by hotrod5337 hotrod5337 wrote:

Awesome !!!

yea im reconsidering the tique lettering now

I certainly hope so!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Palmer (by thermo electron) and yes, replacement PCM manifolds.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 12:16pm
Classic case of Pier Pressure going on right here!! Cool boat and it would be way easier to redo to original.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod5337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 12:20pm
i think what originally had me leaning towards going with the different graphics (other than i liked them) was the fact i wasnt sure how to handle the nicks and bad places on the gelcoat. so i knew id either have to wet sand the entire boat (taking off the original graphics) and try to buff it back slick or just paint the whole thing and start over. how do people that restore these things go about figuring out the best way of handling it?

plan is to use it this summer and pull it all aprt this winter for full resto.   motor runs like a top and quiet. all you can hear besides the exhaust is air sucking in and belts running on the pulleys.        luckily my family runs an upholostery business that my grand dad started in the 50s.   dad covered the motor cover years ago and i remember him saying that even then original material was hard to find so im not sure how im gonna go about that

thanks for the advice and the info guys!!    ill keep the project posted
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 12:21pm
Ok, I never get involved in the "keep it original" discussions but this time I'll put in my 2 cents

KEEP IT ORIGINAL......at least the paint scheme

Do what you want with the interior, seems to look good in the pictures
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod5337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Ok, I never get involved in the "keep it original" discussions but this time I'll put in my 2 cents

KEEP IT ORIGINAL......at least the paint scheme

Do what you want with the interior, seems to look good in the pictures

lol    alright guys original it is
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 12:33pm
Dolphin Naugahyde (dol-71 for blue) is the closest I have found to the original 70's vinyl... Not quite as marbled or textured but pretty reasonable. Any previous heat stampings would need to be sewn in.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 12:48pm

how do people that restore these things go about figuring out the best way of handling it?

1. Polish it up, repaint graphics, let it wear its battle scars with pride (Perfectly acceptable when on a budget)

2. Let a good fiberglass shop repair the nicks, polish it up, repaint the graphics (next best thing) I've seen some awesome patch jobs. you cant even tell.

3. Regel the whole thing, repaint the graphics (only the super purists with lots of dough go this route)

4. Repaint the whole thing. Can be done right and well, but still the least desirable way to go.

I'm not an expert, but those are my 2 cents.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod5337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

[QUOTE=hotrod5337] how do people that restore these things go about figuring out the best way of handling it?

1. Polish it up, repaint graphics, let it wear its battle scars with pride (Perfectly acceptable when on a budget)

2. Let a good fiberglass shop repair the nicks, polish it up, repaint the graphics (next best thing) I've seen some awesome patch jobs. you cant even tell.

3. Regel the whole thing, repaint the graphics (only the super purists with lots of dough go this route)

4. Repaint the whole thing. Can be done right and well, but still the least desirable way to go.

I'm not an expert, but those are my 2 cents.[/QUOTE

im diggn number 1
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 1:38pm
I use "smartshoppersinc.com" for all my paint needs. They carry Kirker Paint. I like to use the acrylic urethane series. The problem with using straight enamels such as Rustoleum is that like all enamels, it is very soft and has zero tolerance for chemicals such as solvents or even gasoline. Money wise you get what you pay for. Using quarts it won't add that much to the over all cost of the refurb. You can get all your supplies from them. Even for redoing trailers their paint is great. I have painted cars, motor homes, airplanes, boats, and trailers with Kirker. Call them for customer service, they are great to work with.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod5337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 1:50pm
this site is awesome!!    thanks to all!!   cant wait to get started with this project
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 3:36pm
Here would be a possible link for Ribbed or Pleated Vinyl

Garysupholstery dot com used to have it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 4:09pm
Damon,
Have you done any checking on the stringer condition? It's not a great subject but does need to be looked at before moving forward with cosmetics.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod5337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 4:24pm
ive checked.      solid as far as i can tell.   boat never did much sitting i n the water unattended for any length of time
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotrod5337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 4:25pm
drcc    thanks for the link
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 7:58pm

ive checked.      solid as far as i can tell.   boat never did much sitting i n the water unattended for any length of time

It's not how long the boat sat in the water, it's how long water sat in the boat.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 9:49pm

Garysupholstery dot com used to have it.

Unfortunately Garys has not come up for at least 6 months,you get redirected to another site
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic