Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noob with overheating problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lakejimmyjon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakejimmyjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noob with overheating problem
    Posted: June-22-2016 at 2:58pm
I am a first time inboard owner (1998 Air Tique) and i am having an overheating problem with the 351. Bought the boat last fall after a test ride. Helped the PO to winterize it and put in storage. PO said he put in a new impeller and thermostat. Took it out last week and launched. Idled at the dock while I parked the truck and then stated across the lake at moderate speed. Warning light came on and I shut down immediately. Limped back and retreved. Observations: 1. I could see some air bubbles going through the strainer; 2. After shutdown hose to starboard side riser was cool, the hose to port very hot. Brought it home and put it on the bucket and it ran hot at idle. 3. Bucket easily kept up with water intake.
Can you guys suggest a sequence for trouble shooting I should follow in trying to diagnose this problem. I am excited to finally own an inboard after many years of outboards. Thanks for your help.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 3:01pm
Make sure the strainer gasket/o-ring is still in place. Sometimes they fall out when the strainer is removed for winterizing.
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 3:05pm
Perhaps the PO reversed the direction of the RWP when he changed the impeller? Oftentimes people will remove the RWP to change the impeller and then forget how it was originally orientated and end up installing it backwards. Could the PO have installed the T-stat upside down?
If money can't buy happiness, explain beer and boats.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 3:23pm
The flow of water through the RWP should take the "long" path around, not the "short" path. A pic of the RWP and the engine rotation would help there.

I would agree with desertskier on the O-ring of the strainer either missing or the basket isn't screwed down enough. Seeing bubbles in the strainer makes me think the air leak is at that location or towards the water intake. Use a nut driver to tighten all the connections.

Since you asked for a "sequence", when I had overheating issues, i started at the RWP intake side directly to a bucket. If that worked, I would move to the next connection and test. I would keep moving back until i found the leak. Keep in mind, however, that not all overheating issues are from an air leak on the negative pressure side. A collapsed exhaust pipe or impeller bits can block the water from passing important parts. Since you said you saw air bubbles, I'd still focus on the negative side first..and I would start at the strainer in this particular instance.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 3:23pm
Jim,
After the new impeller was installed, was the engine ever run without water hooked up? The rubber impeller in the RWP is water lubricated.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakejimmyjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 4:22pm
I will start as described above and see where it leads. My first thought was to check the T-stat and impeller for obvious problems. PO is a forum member and has owned a lot of boats and seems very knowledgeable. I won't think he would run without water. This forum is great. Thanks.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 4:23pm
I am not a motor head, so I always state with some pride that I've had my 40 year old boat for 12 years and its never been to the shop. But a couple weeks ago it quit and I went through all the diagnostics and started throwing parts at it (hate to do that, but most were with some reason) Still couldn't get it. There are two boat shops near me, neither of which I am inclined to go to. A friend, working on it with me told me his auto shop was good, maybe they could take a look. They, a little bit reluctantly, agreed, so off it went. They were told its a boat, don't run it dry, don't run it in gear, reverse rotation, blah, blah, blah.   My cooling hose adaptor hose was attached and ready to go. So they got it going....(I don't want to get into it....I should have been able to do it) and we picked it up. Just on a hunch I thought, they probably thought they could run it a while without cooling, it wont hurt it, not thinking or knowing about the raw water pump. So before dropping it in the lake, I did a bucket run. Very little water coming out, next to no suction. So I open up the pump. Glad I had a spare handy.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 4:32pm
When your impeller looks like yours with pieces missing the next step is to try and flush the pieces out of your system or they will plug up your cooling passages.
Get everything you can out of your cooling system or you will have overheat issues even with the new impeller.
Try and reconstruct the old impeller with the pieces you pull out to see when you have them all.
Many times when people are selling a boat they will reach in and start it just to prove it runs.   If this is done dry it is enough to ruin a good impeller. You learn to always have a spare impeller on board when you own one of these boats and carry the tools to replace one.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 4:50pm
Come on Larry, what did the shop find wrong?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dipstick rotation was 180 deg off
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dipstick rotation was 180 deg off

Larry's or the engine's?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 6:53pm
So did it overheat in the driveway running on the bucket?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakejimmyjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 3:36pm
Thermostat opens at about 165 degrees. Installation question. Does the cone end go down into housing and round puck-like end face up or vice-versa.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakejimmyjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 3:46pm
While I am at it I am going to replace the thermostat. Do we have a part number for a NAPA
'stat or do I need to order for marine vendor?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 4:15pm
Why not just test it in a pot of water with a candy or roasting thermometer.
A thermostat will not cause one manifold to go smoke and the other ok, you have a water flow issue.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakejimmyjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 4:29pm
I did in fact test it as described and it opened at 165 degrees. Still thinking it was in upside down. I am also trying to eliminate the water flow problem.
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 4:54pm
Pics of the boat?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by lakejimmyjon lakejimmyjon wrote:

Thermostat opens at about 165 degrees. Installation question. Does the cone end go down into housing and round puck-like end face up or vice-versa.

The cone or pointy end goes UP and the round end goes DOWN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakejimmyjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 5:57pm
Thanks Keno. PO had it in upside down.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 6:09pm
Just to be sure, when you take the cover off of the t stat housing, you should be looking at the cone shaped part sticking up in the bottom half of the housing pointing toward the sky and the top half will be empty and in your hands.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 7:00pm
Hard to find a picture so I took one It's sideways, but you should get the point.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic