Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop Puller in DFW area and replacement prop

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop Puller in DFW area and replacement prop
    Posted: June-22-2016 at 9:27am
Hello!
Before anyone (Pete) says anything, YES I DID ORDER MY VERY OWN PROP PULLER. It will just not be here for a while.

The prop on my 1980 Ski Nautique was damaged when backing off of the trailer yesterday and I need to send it in for repair. I would like to get it sent to the shop ASAP so that I can be back on the water by next week. Thus does anyone here live in the DFW (preferably HEB area) and have a prop puller I could borrow? A case of beer will be provided.

I should probably also purchase a spare prop to avoid ruined weekends in the future. Does anyone have any recommendations on what size and style to get?

Thanks again.
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 9:38am
I should add that my boat is a 1980 Ski Nautique.....

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 9:57am
Bill,
I will make a suggestion. IF you can't find a prop puller to borrow, call the prop shop since they should have one. Is the prop shop local to you? If so, you could even pull the boat over there to shorten up some travel time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 10:38am
Thanks

I'm still looking for prop shops, I don't know of any local to me. So far I found one in Houston and a few in the north east.

I called three marinas local to me. At two of them the receptionist had not idea what I was talking about and the other said they don't loan tools.

I could easily make my own similar to the one you (Pete) have made, but I will not have that much free time until next Friday, which is when I want to be on the water.

What would be a good prop size for a replacement?

Thanks again.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 10:46am
I would buy in this order (also most to least expensive)

An Acme 540 (cnc finished 13x12)
OJ Legend 13x13
Federal 13x13
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 12:15pm
Bill -- I've had great luck with American propeller repair, hynes city florida iirc. great turnaround time, great results, and their $99 price for 4 blades includes return shipping
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 1:27pm
When I lived in Houston, I used Baumann Propellers. Great shop. Louie Baumann is the owner.

http://baumannprops.com/

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 2:13pm
Thanks for the suggestions! What if I wanted to go down in diameter to a 12.5 or 12? What would you recommend then? I want to avoid hitting my trailer again. And yes Pete I am addressing the trailer issue ;-)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

Bill -- I've had great luck with American propeller repair, hynes city florida iirc. great turnaround time, great results, and their $99 price for 4 blades includes return shipping

The last repair I saw from that place looked horrendous.

Post a pic of your trailer. Prop size should not be dictated by trailer geometry.
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

The last repair I saw from that place looked horrendous.

Did John get a bad repair? I've had two (or three) good repairs done for myself, and one for someone else, and haven't heard about the bad one.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 4:51pm
[/URL]
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 4:52pm
[/URL]
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 4:55pm
Sorry for all the replies! It's hard to get it all on one reply when using this iPotato.

The prop hit one of the bolts sticking through the trailer. The bolts held on caster wheels that the previous owner installed. They will be coming off !
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 5:10pm
Overall pic of the trailer would be helpful.
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 5:13pm
[/URL]
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 5:15pm
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 5:16pm
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 5:16pm
Ah. Not an original Correct Craft trailer. Now it makes sense.
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 5:20pm

sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 5:22pm
Is that enough?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 6:13pm
Are you sure your prop hit a bolt and not one of the 90 degree steel corners.

Anyway, (prop prices)   OMG !!!    From what I am now seeing, Federal and Michigan has skyrocketed.   Looks like Acme has dropped a little.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by sailsail sailsail wrote:

My guess is it hit this
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Originally posted by sailsail sailsail wrote:

My guess is it hit this

Nope! That picture was taken months ago. It hit one of the two bolts, most likely the right one as it has a prop scar.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 6:46pm
You've got a lot of hazardous tubing back there, and yeah ditch those bolts.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2016 at 9:27pm
Power loading and unloading with that trailer is going to require a few spare props

I would make a point of always winching it on... and dipping it deep enough to push boat off trailer.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 12:30pm
Had a few rebuilt over the years at James Propellor in Carrollton with good results.

I'd be happy to let you borrow my prop puller but it's in my barn at the lakehouse. I'm staying in town this week to work on the house so I won't have it up in the metro mess until after the 4th holiday.

sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2016 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Treybizttu Treybizttu wrote:

Had a few rebuilt over the years at James Propellor in Carrollton with good results.

I'd be happy to let you borrow my prop puller but it's in my barn at the lakehouse. I'm staying in town this week to work on the house so I won't have it up in the metro mess until after the 4th holiday.

My prop puller arrived yesterday and was prop was pulled and dropped off at James. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you know how it goes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic