Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help 1969 correct craft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
renegerhardt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renegerhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help 1969 correct craft
    Posted: June-12-2016 at 4:41pm
Hello, I bought a 1969 correctcraft (not sure of model). Anyway, it has a 302 motor with a 71c velvet 1:1 drive trans. I had a refurbished motor installed as the motor that came with the boat had a cracked block.   Received the motor back with the wrong firing order.   After figuring that out I took the boat out, I runs well for 15-20 minutes then feels like the transmission is slipping.   I've checked the trans fluid and it appears red and clear in color and is at the appropriate level, however I checked the oil level after getting it back from the lake.   I will recheck today cold and at operating temp.   Does anyone have any other suggestions as to why the trans might be slipping?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 5:45pm
What is the firing order now? and a picture of your prop please.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renegerhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 6:09pm
15426378 is current firing order.   I don't know how to post pics on here but the prop is a three bladed brass prop has the following numbers on it.   
11. 87.   13RH12
839U
Federal supercup ni-bral
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 6:22pm
Looks to me you have a left hand turning engine where the original was a right hand turning one. A Velvet Drive trans turns the same direction as the engine. To get it to go forward someone decided to run it in reverse. As you found out it won't survive that abuse. Your options now are limited,- all requiring trans work. You could leave the engine turning the wrong way get the trans fixed, clock the pump on it to turn left and put on a left hand prop. Boat will suffer because it was designed for a right handed engine. Or you could get the parts needed to turn it right and rebuild the trans. Should have just rebuilt the parts you had and just put them into another block,but you know that now--
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renegerhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 6:26pm
What are my options?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 6:39pm
Is the serial number stamped into an aluminium tag on the port stringer next to and along side to the engine? Post it up it will tell us what it is and by the serial number, someone can figure it's approx year
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renegerhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 6:43pm
Yes , now I know. Uhg. The work was done by a "professional" but he has since retired from business.   I've learned some things about this is ring to figure this all out. Am I correct in saying that the rotation of the engine is governed by the camshafts that are in it?   And if so could I get those camshafts and make it work? Just trying to figure out the easiest way to go about doing this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renegerhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 6:45pm
He did tell me that he "reveresed" the transmission, but I figured he knew what he was talking about and doing.   Am fixing alot of his "work".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renegerhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 6:47pm
FP. 179
That's what's stamped on the aluminum tag.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 7:00pm
Rene,
With the FP prefix, your boat sounds like it's a Freeport. I agree with Gary that it sound like that "mechanic" has attempted to run the boat in reverse. Does the engine rev and the boat isn't moving very fast? If so, the trans may not be slipping but sounds like it due the gear reduction in reverse. Your cheapest option would be a LH prop but, before you go looking for one, get us as much info as possible before we put you in the wrong direction. (pun intended)!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renegerhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 7:26pm
Hello. Thanks for your post. The boat runs great for the first 15-20 minutes.   Or basically the faster I go the shorter the time until the problems arises. It will reach speeds of 40mph but only for a short period of time.    I thought it was overheating and slipping initially but what Gary says makes sense and is tangible on the water. The guy that put that motor in my boat told me that he did "flip a gear" in the transmission due to the difference of rotations. I was not aware that, that would not work.   I just took his word for it. Now I'm figuring out that his ingenuity isn't working and he retired out of business.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 7:47pm
Rene,
Since you got the boat up to about 40, you are not running the engine/trans in reverse. The 15426378 firing order is for a LH engine and should run a LH prop but you say it's a RH prop so it doesn't make any sense. As Gary requested, we need some pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic