NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad Alternator? Bad belt?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
bdillard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdillard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 6:53pm
Happy to report that the new belt install went quite smooth (to my surprise somewhat). I feel like I generally have high hopes that a project, regardless of how large or small, will go quickly and as planned and they never do. This one though, went very well. Loosened the tension rod as instructed and had to loosen the bolt on the bottom of the alternator and it allowed me to swivel the alternator enough to get the new belt on and re-tighten. I mentioned in an earlier post that with the old belt in place, there was ZERO room left to tighten, but with the new belt on, I've got probably 2.5" left on the rod. I'm quite convinced now that the old belt was not the correct belt and thereforce caused the issues. I guess if I'm wrong though, I'll know in a few more trips out.

Once I got the new belt on, I took her to the lake and tested her out and she purred along like she was brand new. Took her out the following day and not one squeal or squeak even. Not sure if you can upload a video but I took one on my cell phone.

Hope this solved the problem! Before adding on the new belt, I manually turned the alternator pulley and it spun as freely and cleanly as it could. No grinding feelings or noises. Smooth as could be. Hope it was just a bad belt.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 9:29pm
I think a 1/4" play is what most engines call for. 1/2" might slip and squeal like a boat friend.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2016 at 10:14pm
Sounds like you solved it
bdillard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdillard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 6:13pm
We'll see! Like I said, just seems to easy. But I've seen some videos on belts and where if you've got the wrong belt and the alignment is off, it can squeal. So I'm hoping that's all the problem was.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic