Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

battery amps

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lake555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery amps
    Posted: May-24-2016 at 9:07pm
We have a 91 SN and it looks like we need a new battery. Our current battery is 1000 cracking amps, 850 cold cracking amps. . Is that the recommended required amps for this boat? and does it have to be a marine battery, deep cycle?     
Thanks for the help.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 11:06pm
Don't get a marine deep cycle battery. A standard automotive battery is what you want. The deep cycle battery is designed for slow discharge...like on a trolling motor. The higher amp draw for starting is hard on the deep cycle batteries.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 11:29pm
Marty,
JQ is correct about the deep cycle. Many have fallen for them thinking they need them or have walked in to a auto supply and the "associate" thinks they need a deep cycle. Also, avoid an auto starting with the high amps. With the big amp batteries, internal support is sacrificed for additional lead. The lack of support and all the shock our boats give them translates to a very short life..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:46am
Wow, 1,000 is much more than double what CC recommends. Manual calls for 380. I'd probably shop for something around 400-500.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/Downloads/1991_Ski_Nautique_Owners_Manual.pdf

shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 5:36pm
Use the highest amp battery that will fit. never be sorry. also i found that it is best to try to do some vibration isolation. I found some medium density silicone rubber thats 1/4 thick and put under the battery, cant hurt.   
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 5:40pm
As a foot note, i agree, dont get one that has too many amps in a small package.   Largest case that will fit in battery box
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 5:50pm
you're awfully confusing
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 6:45pm
Just use the old one out of your car,someone will have a tool box you can use which will open up a world of other opportunities.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 6:51pm
Ehh Pete, I have an 6 ish year old 1000 amp auto battery still in perfectly working order in my 86. Also a 3rd summer 1000 amp in my 85.

I prefer extra amps they have always treated me great and don't leave me stranded at the sand bar if I've been cranking tunes and sipping brews.

Group 65 is the correct size to fit into the SN box and let the lid close.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 7:00pm
Zach,
All I can say is you have better luck with batteries than I do. I went through 3 1000 amp Exides in 5 years in my X55. Then I did some research and found out about the plate support being skimped on for more lead. Guessing, the battery that's in it now is at least 10 years old!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 1:45am
I do like the suggestion for a little shock absorbing material under the battery. I have some extra neoprene that I may try. Thanks for the heads-up.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 10:03am
Pete, I wouldn't recommend an exide to anyone. I went through 1 a year for 4 years until I got tired of returning it under warranty and bought the one that's still in the 86. Don't think it was your batter too large just s terrible battery to start with.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 10:11am
We've had good luck with NAPA legends. 600-700 CCA would be the minimum I would by, unless I had no other choice. We've got a 350 CCA in the Mustang and it doesn't have much back up cranking power.
OldBrewer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldBrewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 10:12am
I am installing a second battery with a selector switch. I always had two batteries on any boat I owned. Glad to see I don't need a deep cycle battery. I hate Murphy's law.
Yuengling
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

We've had good luck with NAPA legends. .

Ever since I had the bad Exides, I'm running the Legends too without any problems.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dave12gauge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave12gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 4:39am
On our farm we have switched to AGM batteries. AGM= Absorbed Glass Mat. You get what you pay for. These are NOT Gel batteries like Optima. They do not need special chargers. You will find that the "dual purpose or marine" battery" is both a start and deep cycle. The technology has been around for a long time (I think the 80's, they went into tanks). Our parts house carries Exide on the shelf, and a few Deka's. We started to use the Exide AGM but we were getting old batteries from the Exide warehouse. (older than a year). We now only buy Deka AGM batteries for everything. No more adding water, if i forget to charge a battery "once a month" its not a big deal because AGM does not discharge itself (its very slow). Come to think about it we don't have corroded battery cable either. AGM is made for harsh conditions. They last a long time. Do a little research and you will see they are a much better battery.

When it comes to CCA, act like a farmer, "if a little is good, more is better". (same for grease, silicone, tape, Horsepower, most things in life.)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 10:50am
We've clearly disproved more CCA is better for regular lead-acid batteries in our boats.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 11:33am
David,
It sure sounds like you go through plenty of batteries! What do you contribute that to?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave12gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2016 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

We've clearly disproved more CCA is better for regular lead-acid batteries in our boats.

Very true. My thinking is getting physically the largest battery that will fit. The dual purpose battery, in my thinking, would have medium sized plates. Thin plate batteries have high CCA because they have more plates, deep cycle has thick plates and less of them (not made for starting and engine). So dual purpose battery (marine/RV) with medium thick plates would hopefully be made for harsher conditions, we don't need high CCA because "Cold Cranking is at o*F. I doubt too many of us are using our boat in that cold of weather.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave12gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2016 at 1:48am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
It sure sounds like you go through plenty of batteries! What do you contribute that to?

We do go through plenty of batteries and we contribute that to about 35-40 battery on our farm and toys. And we have had all different brands though out the years. Interstate, Napa, Excide, Deka, Optima, Wal-mart, etc. There all ok, some better than others. We have machines that are called shakers, they literally shake themselves to broken welds. We watch the water, keep them charged, harsh conditions, its 100-110*F when where using it. OEM battery on another machine (no vibration) Napa Legend failed in 3 years. Diesel deep well engine came with high dollar batteries (forgot the brand) failed about 3 years. I went through 3 Interstate batteries in my truck under warranty, the AGM batteries are 4-5 years old and still going strong. Tractor with good sealed battery went out in about 3.5 years. When I bought my boat, the optima battery was almost 10 years old. There are better mouse traps. My Dirtbike has a Li-ion battery and its 2 years old, so far so good.
Batteries fail because of vibration, lack of water, heat, cold, not being charged, and being built cheap. etc. I'm also not perfect when it comes to exact mainatiance like the manufacturers want me to be. AGM battery gets me a better mouse trap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic