Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 2001 owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2016 at 6:18pm
The horn is pretty straight forward for the wiring. if memory serves me correct, the horn is in the vent box under the dash. I thought my horn was busted, but it turns out the PO just wired it incorrectly. I tested the horn with a small 12v dewalt battery to make sure it worked before wiring it back up. We also had one of those small canister air horns while the horn wasn't working.

Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 1:29am
I do have an air horn.

I'm sure it's some wiring mess up. A depth finder was installed and a radio head unit. The way the radio was installed, I wouldn't be surprised if something else was put back wrong.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 12:25pm
Sorry Nate, do not know where Tim came from.

My horn is anemic as well and I am looking to replace.

On your carpet, I would wither patch as mentioned for now until a proper carpet replacement is done.

1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 12:48pm
My horn petered out after 40 years. Not original but after browsing my options at Harbor Freight one day, I opted for the first one.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 3:59pm
In some states, all you need is a chrome whistle like your coach had.
Water patrol will sometimes hand-out free plastic whistles with their emblem printed right on the whistle.

Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 1:51am
How do you guys feel about replacing decals? Mine are pretty faded but I kind of like it.

Has anyone had their hull repaired from beaching/sand? Curious about the ballpark cost.

Do ski boats get names?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 11:08am
Decals for '89 are available thru one of the dealers, Someone had them reproduced (they were NA for a while).

Many guys have removed the decals, wet sanded & buffed, then put new stickers on. You will get many compliments at boat ramp!

The hull rash can be repaired by you. Matching gelcote can be purchased thru several suppliers, one of which is Minicraft. It is messy but not hard, just takes time.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Netdewt Netdewt wrote:

Do ski boats get names?

Yes it's on the side and rear of the hull
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 12:15pm
Exactly !

You only name a big boat that's documented with the USCG.
And, it's bad joo-joo to change the name of a boat.

Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2016 at 1:12pm
So, if you get a divorce one day and they take the boat. Rename that pup immediately!!!
1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2016 at 1:00am
I'm pretty sure it should be Boaty Mcboatface.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 4:45pm
I've got almost 20 hours on the boat since purchase. Running great overall. My kids and wife love the boat.

I had an odd electrical issue yesterday, which I think is just a corroded battery connection.

My cousin is a mechanic and told me to keep an eye on trans oil. I also see checking trans fluid filter and oil cooler for sediment. What is the oil and trans fluid spec?

I've been searching for future upgrades. What are the current best values?

Acme prop
Cam Research cams
GT40P headers
FiTech EFI conversion

Is the distributor already electronic?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 5:19pm
Do the Acme asap.

Forget the cam (not enough improvement over stock to justify the expense IMO)

GT40p heads yes

EFI conversion absolutely not

stock distributor is not electronic, upgrade that as well (DUI)
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 5:45pm
I do have an Acme 2068 already, but I may try a 1868 as a wakeboard prop, if that's what I mostly end up doing.

I'm glad cams are not worth it. I'll look into headers and electronic distributor.

No EFI surprises me. What's your reason. Cost? For the sake of staying stock?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 6:05pm
what fuel savings are said to be had would take years and years to recover. there is no performance advantage

i think you mean heads not headers. stock manifolds flow pretty decent
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 6:10pm
LH cam options are plentiful and cheap, go roller if budget allows (and replacing heads with new springs anyways). Otherwise I agree with HW. Quick fuel carb will get you a lot more bang for your buck vs EFI conversion.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 6:53pm
OK. Heads. I'll have to look that up. I'm not a mechanic, I have to do a lot of research before any endeavor.

I have a friend that recommended EFI for simplicity. The motor has a Holley on it. I don't know if that's stock or not.

Is this the electronic ignition you mentioned? http://performancedistributors.com/product/marine-dui-distributors/

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2016 at 7:07pm
Holley would be original equipment. Yes, that is the distributor I mentioned. It has received lots of praise around here.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 2:17am
Cams and headers out unless I rebuild someday.

EFI out. HEI in. Is the $350 DUI worth it? There are many cheaper ones.

I have to replace my fuel sender. I found some posts praising this one from Wema. I'm thinking a 9.5" would work? Has anyone used this sender?
http://wemausa.3dcartstores.com/SSSSSL-Diesel-Fuel-or-Water-Level-Sensor-4--60-in_p_9.html

Also for future - was a perfect pass ever made to match Airguide gauges? I'm not finishing it so far but maybe the ring can be retrofit? A ski instructor recommended perfect pass to me, not sure I'll ever have a need.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2016 at 11:29am
I like the DUI dissy. Simple, strong ignition.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2016 at 4:07pm
I fixed the fuel level sender and swapped to a black bezel on the depth gauge.

- - -
I didn't fix the lower dash panel yet, and I still have lots of dead bugs in the left speedometer gauge.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2016 at 9:17pm
I damaged my Acme (honest mistake by my driver).

Should I get the 422 to replace?
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2016 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

The 2068 is just a 470 with more cup. Would not be my first choice for a 89 but should work OK.

What would be?

My first choice would be a 422 second choice 1442 and third choice a 470 if primary use was all round water sports and not loading the boat up a lot.

If it were for a loaded boat I would reverse the order of preference 470 1442 422

Your current Acme 2068 is the same spec as a 470 (12.5" dia 15" pitch) but with a bit more cup (0.150 the 470 has 0.105 cup). They normally add cup to try and bring the rpm down at WOT to keep the engine in it's working rpm band.

Considering you already have the 2068 it should work just fine, much better than the factory cast prop supplied.

Get some GPS speed numbers and rpm with the ACME 2068 and post.

Sorry I didn't do the GPS with this prop. It was roughly 4500 rpm at 45mph and followed that curve until it came off plane under 15mph. ie 3000 rpm at 30 mph, maybe 2200 rpm at 20 mph.

I've been getting steadily 3.8 gallons per engine hour with 100 gallons burned so far.

EDIT: I'm actually getting the 2068 repaired by PropMD. I will also be getting a 422, that way I have 2 good props. My old original spare is simply awful.
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 12:56pm
I had the 2068 repaired. It has slightly less top end than before. It maxes out at about 42mph. I'd recommend PropMD to anyone looking for a good shop, and they will work with out of town customers.

I ordered in a 422 from them, but unsure whether to pick it up. Would I see a big performance difference?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 1:01pm

Sorry I didn't do the GPS with this prop. It was roughly 4500 rpm at 45mph

I had the 2068 repaired. It has slightly less top end than before. It maxes out at about 42mph. I'd recommend PropMD to anyone looking for a good shop, and they will work with out of town customers.

You recommend losing 3 mph?
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2016 at 1:04pm
When you put it that way...

I'm not sure why that seems to be the case. I don't need that 3mph. He knew what boat I have and we discussed the fact that I should really have a 470, so maybe he took some cup out.

However, the prop looks great, and runs butter smooth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic