NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 ONE Click per Stater Button

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 ONE Click per Stater Button
    Posted: May-05-2016 at 12:54pm
Asked this on PN and got good Feedback... wanted to check here...

I took in to a Local Shop this Spring for a FULL Tune up and general check over, and asked to replace that relay…
I was told (WHEN PICKING IT UP), the battery was bad. (tried that last summer with no fix).

So… I got a new battery (no new relay).

I was told Ground Cable need to a new Ground Post, so I replaced that as well… (they told me to use a 6G not the STOCK 2g.)

Next Trip… (LONG STORY, but in short the shop did not know that Impeller housing could go two different ways…. And a hose can bypass the impeller… “Kansas City Local Mastercraft Dealer….”) CLICK…

After they did not Put a New Relay in AGAIN… (now they think it Key Pad…)

NOW… I only getting a CLICK 5 to 7 times…. (PLUS).
This week I could not get it to start… so I pulled the NEW battery to parts store… Check
OK…

Put it back in…. CLICK..CLICK……….. Start…. (MFing Shop….)

So…. I have a NEW relay on the way here from White Lakes.
My Plan is to try this….
Friday..

Try to start the boat with Key Pad.
If NO START jump the Starter (not relay) and see if it starts.
IF NO replace the OLD Ground with NEW 1/0 wire.
IF NO Add NEW wire from Starter to Battery.
IF YES. Pull back seat and check RELAY

IF relay Is issue…
Check that There is POWER at the Signal Side When pressing Start. (fun to do alone….)
IF YES replace Relay.
IF NO… check transmission Safety Switch (bypass if needed).
IF NO Change, Check Kill Switch…(bypass if needed).
IF No Change… Pull Key Pad and send in for checking.

List of new parts since owned…
4 year Old standard Starter Relay (had this issue before only intimately)
2 year old Starter (started to get the NOT getting fully into Fly Wheel)
New Battery (and check… good to go)
New Ground Post ON old Wire, at battery I added a NEW STINGER Neg Battery Post.. (HIGH END CAR AUDIO BATTERY POST For Run 3 Plus AMPS… takes in 0/1g and 4g and 2 8g wires)

Missing anything?
2001 Super Sport GT40 - Current
1986 SN2001 351 stock- Past....
1973 Cobalt 188/888 Stock - Past...
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2016 at 10:46pm
I've been following this post on PN, I'm surprised nobody has responded here, I thought this would get some traction.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 12:44am
Did you replace the starter solenoid yet?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 1:14am
Originally posted by brettmcox brettmcox wrote:

4 year Old standard Starter Relay (had this issue before only intimately)
2 year old Starter (started to get the NOT getting fully into Fly Wheel)

I'm sitting here laughing thinking these are questions that Quinner can help with
Having trouble getting intimate with your relay could be a reason that your not getting it in the flywheel fully

It is possible that if in the past a deep cycle battery was used it could have damaged the relay contacts. Make sure you have a starting battery and not a deep cycle or a starting/deep cycle battery. I don't know if it's possible to test a starter relay
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 1:24am
After trying and trying and trying..... each time is started....

I did find that I do not want to change the relay after pulling the rear seat.

Only thing I can think of is....

Relay is no the way out....

Or

Amp with memory and eq built in... is dropping the power.... just under the required

Sunday I will take the boat out....

I will get back to both here and pn after that.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

It is possible that if in the past a deep cycle battery was used it could have damaged the relay contacts. Make sure you have a starting battery and not a deep cycle or a starting/deep cycle battery. I don't know if it's possible to test a starter relay

Testing the relay can be done. Remove the battery cable going to the starter. Energize the coil to close the relay contacts. Ohm across the contacts (the big studs on the relay). You should get a near zero resistance across the contacts. If not, the contacts are burnt.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 11:38am
If you had a progressive situation where the starter didn't engage fully that led to more clicks and then no start seems to me replacing the solenoid/plunger/relay is in order. Dr. Gregory House might find a more complex solution but my troubleshooting teacher in A&P school taught me to "always look where the light's best".
brettmcox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Testing the relay can be done. Remove the battery cable going to the starter. Energize the coil to close the relay contacts. Ohm across the contacts (the big studs on the relay). You should get a near zero resistance across the contacts. If not, the contacts are burnt.

Did this last night.... now it works all the time...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by brettmcox brettmcox wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Did this last night.... now it works all the time...

Brett,
It's good to hear that it's working but what did the VOM tell you about the condition of the contacts?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic