NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water leak, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 3:59pm
Any time. I live fairly close. In fact, I was in Herriman this morning at a volleyball tournament for my daughter.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 4:41pm
You have to remove the whole thing and take it apart on the bench.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 4:47pm
OK, after some puzzling and tilting my head and a little bit of aggression I figured out how to get the heater box out. As I was praying off the hoses the copper pipes popped right off with very little effort. I'm thinking that must've been where the leaking was coming from the start with. I pulled The box out and was able to remove the heater core. I am running to the auto parts store to see if I can find a match.

Y2K SAN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 6:11pm
Yep, that's the problem!

New core doesn't have to be an exact match. If you have to widen the inlet and outlet holes in the box it won't significantly hurt performance. You can patch open areas if you really wanted. Find an old timer with the thick catalogs and choose one off dimensions.
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 7:13pm
Found one at Napa for $38. It's a close fit. Super tight, so much that I had to drill out the positioning plates on the inside. Even with those gone, it's so tight it won't be moving anywhere. Also had to cut the openings for the tubes to exit the box. Not a big deal. Once I got it all buttoned up, it started pouring rain. I don't think it's going to let up for a day or two. I'll have to finish this project Monday.

Y2K SAN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 8:24pm
Tim,
Is it my eyes or are the new hose barb connections different sizes as well as being different than the originals? No big deal since reducer barb couplings in that size range are available.

Look'n good!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2016 at 9:33pm
Just your eyes. They are the same.
Y2K SAN
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 12:46pm
Well done. This may end up on the FAQ.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 1:30pm
I finished the hater core reinstallation last night. I pray that I will never have to get behind that kick panel ever again. I'm sure I'll have to, but it sucked. Tried to clean things up the best I could, but it was a chore to get the panel to seat correctly and get the screws lined up with the holes. Easily the toughest part of the project.

I ran the boat for a couple minutes, but I never get a good intake with my fake a lake. I even have a foam collar to help it seat, but I'm not spitting ANY water from the rear of the boat, and the amount of flow doesn't seem to decrease when starting the boat. I think I'll do the impeller Monday and see if that helps.
Y2K SAN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 1:58pm
Do a search for running your boat on a hose and throw away that fake a lake. As to the impeller,it is always good to change it on a new to you boat. Use a genuine Sherwood impeller too,all are not created equal. 9959k is the Sherwood part #
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 4:27pm
Nice job on the Heater Core. As you fix this and the impeller the boat is becoming yours.
Once you understand the boat you will trust it much more as you head out on the lake.
Any new boat is a total unkown until you work out all the bugs. Then it is yours.
On the GT 40 it is a good Idea to change the fuel filter before the season gets going.
On my GT 40 there was also an issue sealing the water filter. A new gasket/large O Ring is available to make sure it is air tight. Mine only had 100 hours on it but was 19 years old when I bought it and it had this issue. The O ring had just dried up and was causing temp rise at idle. I will certainly second all the previous advice to change the impeller. That is not an option and can ruin a day when it fails.   I do mine every 2 years for peace of mind. I have tried going 3 years and had it fail so in my climate 2 is the number.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 4:40pm
Snaps under the rub rail are where mine are and it's a good compromise.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Nice job on the Heater Core. As you fix this and the impeller the boat is becoming yours.
Once you understand the boat you will trust it much more as you head out on the lake.
Any new boat is a total unkown until you work out all the bugs. Then it is yours.
On the GT 40 it is a good Idea to change the fuel filter before the season gets going.
On my GT 40 there was also an issue sealing the water filter. A new gasket/large O Ring is available to make sure it is air tight. Mine only had 100 hours on it but was 19 years old when I bought it and it had this issue. The O ring had just dried up and was causing temp rise at idle. I will certainly second all the previous advice to change the impeller. That is not an option and can ruin a day when it fails.   I do mine every 2 years for peace of mind. I have tried going 3 years and had it fail so in my climate 2 is the number.

So many truths above. All things mechanical come with mystery that is only dispelled with hands-on experience with tinkering and repairs. First time repairs are always very inefficient and occasionally troublesome but the experience makes doing it again a nearly pleasurable experience due to the confidence garnered from accomplishing that first time.

I once replaced the timing belt, water pump and tensioner on a 4 cam V-8. Took most of a weekend. Second time, 4 hours. Now I can help a friend do it in under 3. I think all of us experience this and help each other past the fear.
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 6:33pm
Thanks for the comments and advice. Quite the community here. I love it.

The first thing I did for the boat was replace the wiring harness coming out of the Fuel Control Cell. Faulty factory harness had deteriorated and was leaking gas. When I replaced that, I changed the fuel filter at the same time.
Y2K SAN
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2016 at 9:29pm
Nice repair. Looks great.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 10:30am
Originally posted by rmaytee rmaytee wrote:

I ran the boat for a couple minutes, but I never get a good intake with my fake a lake.

You might want to consider installing a TRBenj hose hookup.
Tee
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 7:34pm
Thanks, I picked up the parts to run my hose during lunch today. I will do that at the same time.
Y2K SAN
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 7:47pm
for future reference, a pick of sorts really helps to remove stuck hoses, just get the point of the pick between the tube and the hose, and run it around , ( breaking the mechanical seal of the rubber) and then if needed, a little wd40 (or water) will help to get the hose to slide off.   those copper tubes look like they surrendered with some serious force.   nice work on the repair!
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 7:51pm
Thanks. Yeah, I tried running a tiny screwdriver in there, and didn't have any luck. I should have thought to squirt some lube in there, but by that time, I had lost patience, and was in a ripping out frenzy.
Y2K SAN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 10:12pm
Lube every hose fitting (except fuel). Always.
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 3:15am
I had a successful evening. I got my impeller swapped out. As was mentioned in several other threads, it is important on your first time doing this to take pictures and mark the top of the water pump, since the pump can be installed upside-down. I used a little Vaseline to help it go in smoothly. As soon as I finished that, I cut my intake hose, and added a T with hose connector/valve. I started the boat up, and it worked like a charm. Very glad I made that addition. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll have to get out on the lake to be sure all the leaks with the heater are taken care of. Last time I didn't even see the leak, until the boat was running for a half hour. If all goes well, I will be at the lake this Friday to have another test run and experiment with ballast. It has no factory ballast. I have 6-7 different bags in various sizes to see how much weight I would like placed where. Then I'll be making an order for all new ballast and pumps.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Y2K SAN
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 4:19pm

Found one at Napa for $38. It's a close fit. Super tight, so much that I had to drill out the positioning plates on the inside. Even with those gone, it's so tight it won't be moving anywhere. Also had to cut the openings for the tubes to exit the box. Not a big deal. Once I got it all buttoned up, it started pouring rain. I don't think it's going to let up for a day or two. I'll have to finish this project Monday.

Tim, Do you have a model number for the heater core you found at NAPA?
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
rmaytee View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmaytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

Tim, Do you have a model number for the heater core you found at NAPA?

You bet. 660-3100 I found this from another post, and it ended up working for mine, as shown above, there was some shaving I had to do on the box, but it worked out.
Y2K SAN
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 5:36pm
You asked about the ballast earlier.

Call Mike Seipel at Barefoot (414) 964-3668 and he can hook you up like no other.

Best quality product, especially fittings and durability.

Mike has your boat mapped already based upon what side you want the wake etc.

Super Air Nautique mapping

Enjoy the SAN!!!
1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
Russman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 5:38pm
when following the hyperlink notice the Super Air Nautique additional ballast about half way down on the right.

1989 2001 SN / Prior 1978 Cobalt 18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic