NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering Cable Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Cable Replacement
    Posted: May-04-2016 at 12:35am
Hey guys. Planning to put a new steering cable in my boat this weekend. I have searched and not found any pics on the project for my year or close to it. I know the general steps but:

What all has to come out of the back of my 99 Sport to get to the rudder to remove the old cable and replace?

Also, what do you all recommend: Pulling the old cable out towards the helm with a rope attached OR cutting the old cable at the helm and duct taping the new cable to that and pulling it through towards the rudder. I have heard of both methods.

Thanks
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:00am
Interested in what you find out doing this project as I will be doing it this season as well on our 99 Sport.

If you get in the trunk, the "floor" is really just a removable panel. Pull that up and you should have a clear view at the rudder port. I'm guessing you should probably go ahead and remove the engine cover, and the removable floor panel that it fastens to (between engine and rear seat).
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
cbr1000dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbr1000dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 10:38pm
Finding and cutting all of the cable ties that hold it in place and keep you from sliding it either way was the hardest part on my 1990.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 12:01am
Replaced and it is smooth! Thought I would write up how to replace a steering cable in a 1999 Sport (probably similar to many other boat models and years). Maybe it will hit the FAQ's. Sorry, no pics which are always helpful...here goes:

-Buy new steering cable ("sc") (lots of threads on this), mine was a SeaStar SSC15420 20' XTREME Single Rack Cable
-remove kick panel under helm (there are some obvious screws going into the panel...there are also two hard to see screws at the base of the panel going into the floor)
-unplug speaker so you can move the panel out of the way
-clip any zipties holding sc to other cables
-remove four bolts holding sc rack to steering wheel assembly
-move to the stern of the boat
-remove small vertical carpeted lifting ring cover which runs up back of trunk (there are two screws the go upward in direction at the top)
-remove bottom panel in the trunk (careful, this is one fiberglass sheet and can crack...mine already was cracked on one side which actually helped removal)
-remove middle trunk floor panel revealing rudder and sc end
-remove bolt holding sc pin to rudder assembly
-mark where the sc is held in the clamp block (note that the pipe part of the sc that is clamped in will be used again so the mark will come in handy)
-remove the 4 bolts holding the clamp together, now the sc is free
-tie a 20'+ rope through the end of the sc (this is to pull the new one through of course)
-I chose to use duct tape over any parts on the end of the sc that looked like they could get caught when pulling through (example, the large nut on the sc). Just make the sc as smooth as possible
-move back to helm (this is when it is helpful to have someone outside of the boat to manage the cable as it comes out) (also note, my cable went through some 3" flex duct for air vents under the helm, try as I might, it got messed up and I have to replace, should be easy)
-pull the old cable toward the helm pulling the rope tied to it. (make sure to stop at end of cable to untie rope and not pull too far.)
-if cable gets hung along the way open the doghouse and look for it or the rope to be able to pull either way to free up
-remove cover/pipe that gets clamped in from the old sc. This takes a pipe wrench and an adjustable wrench
-put the old cover/pipe on the new sc
-tie the rope end at the helm to the end of the new cable
-duct tape the new sc similar to the old
-pull new cable through the boat from the helm to the stern (this was easier with 2 people)
-hook everything back up as it was in the rudder area
-move rudder to straight position
-move wheel to straight position
-mount rack
-replace everything (panels etc)
-adj wheel to perfect straight

Longer than I was hoping but hopefully it helps someone in the future.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 10:31am
Glad it went smooth. So the steering cable routes through flexible ducts? Weird.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 9:02pm
The cable looped around the flex ducts under the helm. Was nearly impossible to remove without messing the ducts up. Could have removed the ducts before removing the cable. I didn't realize at the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic