Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop key way is sheered

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
Author
BaccoBouncer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 1:52pm
Both of my girls teen years is one of the motivations for the boat. at 10 and 8 their free time is already switching to their social schedule. One motivation for getting a lake house and a boat is so their friends want to come here to hangout. I get to hang with my girls, get to know their friends, know what's going on in all of their lives. I think Its' a pretty good preemptive strike. And when the boys start coming around I can fling them off the tube and skis pretty hard to establish a subtle but clear dominance as well
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 1:55pm
Should I be concerned about that patch of gel coat that ripped off the hull? You can see the size in this pic (red area with weave marks). it will obviously get filled with 4200 but should I first do an epoxy or something hard and flat?
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 2:00pm
uh oh, you said the T word.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 3:04pm
I think as long as the strut and 4200 covers the damage you are good to go. If it is not covered by the strut you would need to repair that area.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2016 at 9:59pm
Adam,
The gel is cosmetic. Just bed the strut in the 4200 and you will be fine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2016 at 9:11pm
Ready to go
'97 21' Sport Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 1:54am
did H&H confirm it was bent?

Before you go and poop it in place, I would dry fit everything. and by that I mean
bolt up the strut and install shaft, don't have to bolt the flange and align yet but maybe a rough alignment or what i like to call EYE-lignment. with the shaft in its new home and make sure everything will fit right, and you aren't going to find yourself back in the belt adjustment twilight zone.
Look at the hole through the hull (from underneath) and make sure you have clearance all around and if not adjust things accordingly or as some have suggested you may be able to dremel out the small opening in one area if its hitting. I have some nice carbide bits your welcome to use if need be.
But it really shouldn't need that kind of modification, since you are literally starting from scratch. There is some room for adjustment given you keep a few things in mind. As both have stated earlier in the thread. It's good to remember that the hole is the only part that doesn't move and also the centering of the shaft on the hull. good to measure from the chine to the end of shaft.
Just touching on pretty much what everyone has been saying in the thread from the beginning, Probably not a bad idea to read back and make sure you hit on some of the points people have suggested.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Pete always says alignment starts at the strut but I say it starts at the log. The log is the one thing that doesn't move.

Kevin,
It's all in how it's worded. I always say it starts at the strut because it is adjustable and the log isn't I mention starting at the strut since there are many out there that will do an engine alignment to shaft only not realizing their shaft could be out of parallel with the hull. This thread is a good example of the parallelism problem!

problem with parallelism is the initial hole drilled from the factory. If it's off 1/4" at the hole and you center the end of the shaft your running out 1/4" over 4' or so. and where does that get translated to? Probably effects nothing different as far as thrust from the prop goes at such a small amount but at the flange end where is it going to put you between the stringers and alignment of motor. So it all really does kind of depend on the holes positioning and there's a fine line between being exactly parallel and a well-planned cheating of the difference.

1988 Barefoot nautique-454

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 7:26pm
Yes H&H confirmed it was twisted. He was actually worried about cracking it when he brought it back but said it looks great. He got rid of the wobble from the uneven base as well.
I'll dry fit tonight and see if I can have the shaft hit the coupling dead center with the motor mounts centered and the shaft centered in the log.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2016 at 9:20pm
You still don't get it!

Install the shaft concentric with the log outlet AND inlet. THEN move the engine to wherever it needs to be.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 11:21am
IN-Correct Craft. Sloppy Manufacturing team a-holes

I took my perfectly straightened strut. I made .010" shims. it was a .040 shim to get top bottom dead center (a washer is .060" for reference). I aligned the strut with shaft perfectly centered entering and exiting the log. I uses the incremental diameter of allen keys as feeler gauges on each end and every side so it was exact center. I loosened the motor mounts and centered the motor, measured that they were center. I put a greased wood bock with a "V" under the shaft to take the sage/weight off of it so that the brand new cutlass bearing was light as a feather to turn even dry.
I tightened the alt belt. The ***************ing alt is hitting the aluminum cradle. How the hell is this possible. I noticed that the alternator didn't look parallel to the frame. Then I saw it.
*************** these guys at the factory. They put in a frame that is twisted (from welding?) and just jammed the motor against it and probably left that .009" gap between the couplings I originally saw and tightened them down and sent it off. Seriously!!!!!
I angrily ground down the frame edge to make some room and put on a shorter belt by removing the alt and putting it on and then putting the alt back with the belt installed..
'97 21' Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 11:41am
Adam,
You say you have centered the shaft to the log but even after a couple suggestions of measuring the shaft/strut/log to the chine to check if they are centered and parallel to the hull, I don't see if you have ever taken those measurements.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 11:42am
There's nothing wrong with the cradle ("frame"?). The width is fixed at the front, but the rear tabs are just snugged against the stringers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 12:02pm
Well then they screwed up the stringers or the log. The motor doesn't fit in the hull the way it is setup/built evidence being the alternator cut grooves in the frame. This boat only has a few hundred hours on it. The previous owner didn't even have a wrench set and that alternator belt was falling apart/may have been original. That's a factory setup. No way you could center the motor in the cradle and not have the shaft bent against the log.
Do you think they messed up the log? Next season should I pull the log, center the strut and motor and then reinstall the log?
There's something fundamentally wrong when I make the shaft perfectly parallel with the 3D reference of the Log and the alternator is up against the frame. I don't see anyway around that other than one of the following is off, the strut mount location, the log mounting location, the engine cradle location. And this is backed up by the evidence that they had the motor rubbing on the frame to get the couplings parallel.
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 12:07pm
It doesn't matter anyway. This setup is straight as an arrow from strut to motor now and she's going in the water for a proper romp in a few days.
I appreciate everyone's help and interest in seeing this to the end.
Now I'll see what else needs tuning and attention beyond the drivetrain.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 12:39pm
This must be an Apex? Sure looks like Chevy mount attachment blocks. A Gt40 alt would be way up high.

Post a pic of the front of the engine- maybe we can compare to another SBC boat with the low mount (97+) cradle. Sure seems like that alt is stuffed in there... But the Chevy wasn't a common option at that point and '97 was the first year CC lowered the engine in the hull, so maybe there were some early figment/learning issues at play.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 1:04pm
If this was new motor option I think that is a reasonable estimate of the root cause. if the alternator is not there the motor block seems pretty centered in the cradle. Looks like my earlier idea of looking for a racing/small alternator or added tensioner pulley would have been a nice solution.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2016 at 2:46pm
Swap out a perfectly good alternator for sanding a few thousandths of an inch off the cradle?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 11:50am
She's tight and aligned and super fast. Thanks everyone for all your help. Couldn't have done it without you. Glad to be apart of the community.
Take Care,
Adam
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 11:53am
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 1:28pm
My motor is the PLL TBI with a 9.3:1 compression ratio. What octane should I run? Can't find it on line or the manual.
Thanks,
'97 21' Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 3:22pm
There is also a large orange warning sticker at the filler saying to not use gas with ethanol. There aren't any other options anymore?
'97 21' Sport Nautique
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

There is also a large orange warning sticker at the filler saying to not use gas with ethanol. There aren't any other options anymore?

Glad she's running good! I only use marine gas, ethanol free but expect to pay a premium, around $4.50-5 a gallon. I get my gas at the marina were my slip is at, very convenient.

Enjoy the summer
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 3:34pm
I think they call for the mid grade,I run premium,it's not that much more. Many of us don't have a choice on what we run,there are no non ethanol stations anywhere near here,Usually when you can get recreation fuel it's regular.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 4:33pm
We get 90 octane non ethanol fuel in SC for $2.85 per gallon. I use in both boats and all small gas engine tools. No problems with de stratification. See www.pure-gas.org for a station near you. This site is frequently updated and very accurate as far as I can tell.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaccoBouncer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2016 at 8:40pm
DV- Thanks for the web site. I found a place near me I can get clean fuel on it.
'97 21' Sport Nautique
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 8:04am
Originally posted by BaccoBouncer BaccoBouncer wrote:

nice to see, I haven't even had a chance to get up there yet this season.
soon though.
glad you got it up and going. as for the alt issue. That is weird, but hey your on the water and your boating now. may be something to investigate more into come the winter.
i know i mentioned it before but there are some very shallow spots on that lake so beware, especially if your going to be loading up with ballast and, or people.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
  Share Topic