NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

62 Classic needs a new Velvet Drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by 93/70 ccpb 93/70 ccpb wrote:

hello raindog i have a complete engine and trans from a 62 or 63 correct craft classic all part are there but engine is stuck..it has been in dry storege for 5 yrs in my garage..750.00 call me if interested.dan 330-524-6983.ill try to get some numbars off it for you.engine block/trans

Dan, is this a Gray Marine Fireball 327 engine with a flywheel aft mounted velvet drive?
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 9:15pm
gray 327 aft bellhousing and velvet drive trans.whole engine but is stuck. call me 330-524-6983
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2016 at 11:34pm
Hi Steve,

If you just need a velvet drive, I have spares, 71B and 71C, early to mid 60's vintage. I sent you a PM with more info.

-Phil
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2016 at 6:33pm
So a plan has been formulated and put into action.

Several CCFers have offered assistance with my dilemmas. A sincere thank you goes out for your concern and generosity.

In the end, a new transmission is making its way from SkiDim to my home. My core could not be rebuilt. Even with a different core, the cost of rebuilding by Federal Marine Transmission is within a few hundred of a brand new unit with a 1 year warrantee. My conclusion is FMT is good and very experienced but pretty pricey. If my original transmission could have been overhauled, I would have used him to do the job. But since I was replacing with a later version of velvet drive as a core anyhow, new started to make more sense.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2016 at 6:40pm
As far as the damper, all feelers for a new or NOS part came up empty. There just are no replacement options for the deep splined hub.

Upon closer inspection, the hard parts of the damper look to be in good shape. Only the springs needed to be replaced. I found a truck parts refurbisher in town who sent it out to have new springs installed. $150 later, my problem should be solved.

All parts should be arriving next week. If everything goes smoothly, the Classic will be ready to roar long before the water temp becomes inviting.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2016 at 6:50pm
Steve did Skidim tell you that you need a new cooler to have the warranty in effect?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2016 at 7:22pm
I am aware. I purchased a new cooler from FMT. I had to give the guy some business after all the time he spent on my project.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 6:12pm
I was able to solve the hardest riddle of this endeavor. I found a place that could rebuild my damper plate. $150 with a 4 day turn-around time was pretty sweet considering I was stuck and had no other options. The rivets and spacer are new and look exactly like what was taken off. They cleaned it up and it looks great.

Trans from SkiDim should be here on Friday.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 6:49pm
Sweet. Might want to post the info on the damper rebuild shop in case others need those services?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 6:55pm
Steve,
Fantastic you found the place on the damper rebuild.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 11:07am
Good point Tim. I dealt with a local shop who sent it out to a place in Missouri. I think I figured out where it went but they may not deal directly with consumers.

Local shop: http://www.abcgparts.com/

Rebuilder: http://www.uniqueclutches.com/
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 12:02pm
The Classic was reassembled this weekend with the new trans from SkiDim, rebuilt damper, freshly tuned prop installed, new trans cooler, water tested, aligned to 0.002" and run for about 6 hours. The old one must have been slipping quite a bit the last year or so. With the new trans, the boat really hooks up well and is very smooth. My preferred cruising RPM (just enough to be on plane and bring the bow down to see over it) dropped from 2600 to about 2300. The nasty burning smell of trans fluid is now gone and the bilge remains nice and clean. In the end, I'm a very happy camper.

One difference I noticed is when shifting into reverse with the new trans, it seems more "sudden" with a noticeable "thud". Is this a characteristic of a newer velvet drive design or just a brand new tight velvet drive? Not worried just curious.

Thanks to all that helped me sort out this riddle. She should be good to go for several more decades.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 1:44pm
Nice work! Now lets see some pics!

The "thud" should be an adjustment in the linkage at the transmission shifter. Basically, the trans is engaging too fast thus slamming into gear.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 2:39pm
Steve,
Great news.

Regarding the "thud", if it's shifting into reverse after the throttle is starting to rev the engine, then it is a linkage adjustment. If it shifts into reverse first and then the revs increase, then it's just new. or the idle RPM is high. What is the engine idling at?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 2:48pm
Great advise boys if I had a Morse! I have a column shift and foot throttle on the Classic.

She idles at 650 RPM, nice and smooth with out the tic-tic-tic of the worn out damper.

I'm sure it just because the trans is new and the friction bits are still tight. I"ll keep an ear tuned to it to see if it lessens during the summer.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Great advise boys if I had a Morse! I have a column shift and foot throttle on the Classic.

Those two things are foreign to me but I'm guessing you're right then....just needs more run time!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic