Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for 1st boat - Opinions on a couple finds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for 1st boat - Opinions on a couple finds

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 12:35pm
Cool! Nice boat. Out on Flathead for the initial cruise?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 12:39pm
Thanks!

Whitefish Lake.

About 20 minutes from leaving the driveway to being on the water.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 12:47pm
Nice. I had an 89 Supra Comp that I was very pleased/impressed with. Enjoy! Beautiful Country.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 1:02pm
Very nice! It's such a fun family event when a new boat arrives and you get out on the water. The boat looks to be in great shape.

Love the scenery! When does the snow disappear from the peaks, if ever?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Very nice! It's such a fun family event when a new boat arrives and you get out on the water. The boat looks to be in great shape.

Love the scenery! When does the snow disappear from the peaks, if ever?

Snow on peaks in pic 1 to north and pic 3 to west will be gone early June. Maybe late may this year as it is a warm spring.

Not seen is view to east into Glacier Park, snow will remain on peaks there until late summer if not all year.

Thanks, it was a very fun day. The boat really is in great shape. The maroon areas on the hull need a buff, they are slightly oxidized. The lower rainbow decals are similarly showing some age. I'd like to take them off but the wife and kid really like them. Need to see if replacements are available.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 1:47pm
Nice work Jake! There are a lot of older Supra's on our lake still...

I am guessing your next step is to get a house or land on that awesome lake! Staring at those snow covered peaks must never get old! Good luck with it and remember to tuck your dock lines and fenders in when underway, esp when taking photos!
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

Nice work Jake! There are a lot of older Supra's on our lake still...

I am guessing your next step is to get a house or land on that awesome lake! Staring at those snow covered peaks must never get old! Good luck with it and remember to tuck your dock lines and fenders in when underway, esp when taking photos!

LOL it pained me when I saw that in the pics.

This was the second time in my life launching a boat. Lots to think about and remember when it's a new experience.

We did have an issue with a component on the trailer. It has a metal strap on the tongue that goes around the eye on the bow. That gave us to trouble when getting the boat off and back on the trailer.
Our friends who are long time boaters had never seen anything like it.
It seems like a great safety aid to me. I'm thinking it will get easier to use as we get used to trailering.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 5:36pm
Here is the strap on the trailer.

backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 6:06pm
That's just the equivalent of a safety chain.
As long as the person in the boat applies a little throttle while the person with that strap is guiding it over the bow eye, you'll find it's actually pretty easy to get attached.

The person in the boat needs to know where the steering wheel centers though. As the boat comes onto the trailer the bow will guide itself into the "V" bow stop in the pic. Then center the wheel so when you throttle up a little bit the bow comes straight at the strap and and not at an angle. Or you can think of it like you want to steer the bow onto that strap as you throttle up. As long as you can do that, it'll load very easily for you.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 6:16pm
By the way a very cool boat Looks like the very first inboard I ever skied behind with a real boom. I practically killed myself, Tore a hamstring and fractured three ribs. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Let go!!! Thought I had died and gone to Heaven after struggling with a kneeboard and 100' rope behind an outboard that was marginal at best.. It was a great day....LOL I bought my American Skier that fall.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 6:17pm
You say you had trouble with it both launching and retrieving. For launching, unlatch that strap and rotate it forward before you back down the ramp. Just disconnect the winch strap, rotate the bar forward, and re-attach the winch strap loosely. Then back it in.

For retrieving, do what Eddie suggested, but if it continues to be a problem do the same as I suggested with launching, leave it off until the boat is out of the water and on level ground, attach it then. The winch strap can hold the boat while pulling it out, just be certain the winch crank is locked.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 6:40pm
I really like the strap from a safety perspective.

That makes sense re unloading and loading.

We were loading/unloading with the boat engine off. Having never driven the boat, and being inexperienced with the trailer it seemed like a prudent decision.

The issue unloading was the strap wouldn't come off the eye. It was like the boat had settled the eye on the bottom of the strap opening and wedged it on there.   Had to back the trailer up a bit more get more float then it released.

Loading we used the winch strap to pull the boat on. When undoing the hook the boat would settle back slightly and the strap wouldn't reach the eye. Pulled the trailer forward slightly and the boat settled in a position we could get the strap on.

If the boat was running would have been easy to power up a bit and get clearance for the strap.

I'm going to check to night and see if the strap will clear the eye and drop while on the trailer.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 6:49pm
Jake,

That is a very similar set up to our 83 MC trailer that I must have launched and loaded thousands of times... now I know the MC has almost 1/2 the freeboard as your sunsport but really the idea is the same.

Once you get a good idea of how far the trailer needs to be in the water so the bow/boat is on the bunks just enough to hold boat in place but the stern is kinda floating so you can back off... when loading, the driver will pull slowly onto the trailer in gear till boat stops, then the 2nd person (who backs trailer into water) will hold bar and signal to the boat driver forward, backward, right, left as needed for bow eye to pierce the slot in the bar. Boat driver will just slowly apply throttle and steer as needed. It is quite easy and once mastered take less than a minute to secure boat onto trailer.   

When launching, even easier:
1) back the trailer to the waters edge.
2) unhook bow and lay the safety bar down on trailer, unhook stern straps if applicable! 3) boat driver hop in boat check oil and that drain plug is in etc while blower clears fumes.
4)Signal the car driver to slowly back into water, crank her up and reverse of trailer..

That being said... I like the bow stop pads better... Use a turnbuckle for safety if you choose... I always strap the stern to trailer.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

By the way a very cool boat Looks like the very first inboard I ever skied behind with a real boom. I practically killed myself, Tore a hamstring and fractured three ribs. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Let go!!! Thought I had died and gone to Heaven after struggling with a kneeboard and 100' rope behind an outboard that was marginal at best.. It was a great day....LOL I bought my American Skier that fall.

When we were getting the boat started after killing the battery.... A woman came into the dock on another boat and nearly fell in the water when she saw our boat. Said her family had an identical boat when she was a kid. She learned to ski behind it and had never seen another one. Pretty cool. She shot a video of us pulling out.

As for killing the battery, took a bit to figure out the cold start, battery was 6 years old and gave up on us. The issue was we were not giving the boat any throttle. The PCM manual said 3 pumps and throttle slightly ahead of idle for cold start.
We were pumping from 12 oclock idle to 11 oclock. That amount did not open up the throttle. By the time we pulled the air cleaner to see if the butterflies weren't moving, figured out where they did start to move (about 10 oclock), pumped it 3 times there, it turned over 1 more time caught slightly then sputtered out.

Ran home and got a battery out of a spare car and jumper cables. Jumped it and it started right up.    Hot started fine as well.
We did have another operator error with the neutral safety switch. Figured that out right before I pulled the ignition switch. Honey you've got it in neutral right???
Had to LOL, day 1 on the water.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 6:52pm
Sorry... I see someone responded as I was typing etc... yeah don't launch with engine off...

I see that mistake all the time, then owner has issues reloading if it doesn't start... or at least takes forever causing ramp congestion.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

Sorry... I see someone responded as I was typing etc... yeah don't launch with engine off...

I see that mistake all the time, then owner has issues reloading if it doesn't start... or at least takes forever causing ramp congestion.

We will be under power next time.

To our credit it is very slow this time of year. Our plan is to get out quite a bit in the spring, even if just for an hour to get proficient launching and loading before things get busy.

The summer season really starts here at the end of June.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 7:36pm
Need any Supra interior snap buttons ?
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Need any Supra interior snap buttons ?

Sure, if you have some you don't need.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 7:48pm
Color ?
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 8:05pm
White
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 8:24pm
Dang,     I have   Blue, Charcoal and Light Grey.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Dang,     I have   Blue, Charcoal and Light Grey.

LOL no problem.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 9:51pm
Congratulations on your new Boat. That should make this a great summer for your family.
My brother had a Supra, I did his mechanical work to keep it on the water. I found it to be very well built, far better than the Malibu I owned for 20 years and I would put it on par with the Nautique for build quality. Not talking about steering, pulling or ski quality just overall quality of build. They used good materials and tried to make an upscale boat.
My brothers did ski and drive very well, it rode well.   I found the hull to be a little slow compared to the Nautique, his Supra with the same 351W engine ran about 3 miles per hour slower than the Nautique but it was very stable and turned equally well both directions, lesser boats cant do that.    The sloped nose is attractive but you will learn to keep it up when turning in rough water or you will take a douse of water over the nose.

Enjoy
Mark
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 10:27pm
That Sunsport is a great hull. Awesome find.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 1:10am
as always on here with new owners...a great story.

a great friend of mine from our ski club...Greg McDonald had a Supra and loved it. Was a very nice boat.

LOL on the boom story partner!

beautiful scenery!

enjoy!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
diggit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diggit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 2:23am
Congrats on the purchase! Looks like a great score and a great deal. Y'all are gonna love having a nice ski boat, and you'll get the looks from everyone on the lake with that beauty.

The crew here on ccfan has gotten me through my first-ever inboard boat purchase and subsequent mechanical/electrical troubleshooting and made it easy and fun. Stick around, I'm sure you won't regret it!
'93 Ski Nautique Black/Teal
'77 Ski Nautique. Loved it. Let it Go.
Poorhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poorhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 10:37am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Congratulations on your new Boat. That should make this a great summer for your family.
My brother had a Supra, I did his mechanical work to keep it on the water. I found it to be very well built, far better than the Malibu I owned for 20 years and I would put it on par with the Nautique for build quality. Not talking about steering, pulling or ski quality just overall quality of build. They used good materials and tried to make an upscale boat.
My brothers did ski and drive very well, it rode well.   I found the hull to be a little slow compared to the Nautique, his Supra with the same 351W engine ran about 3 miles per hour slower than the Nautique but it was very stable and turned equally well both directions, lesser boats cant do that.    The sloped nose is attractive but you will learn to keep it up when turning in rough water or you will take a douse of water over the nose.

Enjoy
Mark

This boat has a lot of freeboard compared to many of the similar era ski boats we looked at. As a new boater I was worried about potentially swamping something really low. The friends we were out with have a Supra Comp. The freeboard on that boat is 2 or 3 times lower than ours, and the bow point even lower.
It was getting water splashed onto the bow deck on the calm day we were out.
It did look great in the water though.

I had a long talk with the shop that did the stringer replacement. He had done another Supra of the era as well. He said the way the factory laid in the stringers allowed them to rot quickly. He also didn't like how thin Supra laid the hull material. He fortified the entire hull with additional mat layers to beef up the structure.

Everything you can see on the boat does seem to be of good quality. I think the condition after 30 years is testament to that.

Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

as always on here with new owners...a great story.

a great friend of mine from our ski club...Greg McDonald had a Supra and loved it. Was a very nice boat.

LOL on the boom story partner!

beautiful scenery!

enjoy!

john

LOL, I'm sure the newby stories aren't done.

My wife's experience with boats has made me much more comfortable with this endeavor. Her family always had boats so she was around them as a kid. She's from the Boston area. Her brother had a boat business 10 or so years ago. She worked for him summers when she was getting her second bachelors. She shuttled boats around Boston Harbor and to the south shore for him. She is comfortable navigating and docking boats. I think getting the boat on and off the trailer won't be any trouble for her.

Side story - When she was back in school I was travelling a lot for work and would fly into Logan. The airport has a dock you can get picked up at. The airport shuttle takes you right to it. She would pick me up there. It was fantastic, no traffic, enjoy the sights cruising across the harbor with a cold beverage. Good times.

Originally posted by diggit diggit wrote:

Congrats on the purchase! Looks like a great score and a great deal. Y'all are gonna love having a nice ski boat, and you'll get the looks from everyone on the lake with that beauty.

The crew here on ccfan has gotten me through my first-ever inboard boat purchase and subsequent mechanical/electrical troubleshooting and made it easy and fun. Stick around, I'm sure you won't regret it!

Thanks!

Bought a new battery - After researching here I couldn't find a conclusive answer as to what the best choice is. Decided on an Optima blue top with the light gray case.
I like the sealed batteries from a safety perspective. I have a charger with the correct setting for this type of battery as well to maintain it in the off season.
$175 shipped from Amazon, hopefully it hold up.
I'm lamenting I didn't bring my multimeter to check the alternator output when we had the boat out. Next time.

Also bought a new Bimini, spent a few extra $$ and got stainless hardwear and Sunbrella fabric. Went with a Carver, seemed to have consistently good reviews and made in America.

The boat has it's original convertible top. It snaps to the top of the windshield. We tried it out, I'm not a fan of the reduced head space. Plus the canvas had yellowed with age. Went with maroon for the bimini.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic