Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

88 Dominique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 88 Dominique
    Posted: January-31-2016 at 3:30pm
Hello all. I love this site. I have a nice Dominique that occasionally won't start unless I engage the throttle back and forth a few times. What do I need to replace to safeguard against a stranding out on Lake Erie? Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 3:57pm
Brett,
I almost missed your post since sometimes I don't get down to the "new" section. It's typically used for what's new at CCfan but I'm glad I did catch your question. I should utilize the new posts feature more often. I know many of the members do use it.

When you say it won't start, do you mean it won't crank IE: turn over? I have to assume that's what you mean since you mention wiggling your throttle. If so, it's your NSS (neutral safety switch). It's there to prevent the starter from cranking the engine over and potentially starting the engine when it's in gear. The common cause of a no crank due to the NSS being open, is shift and throttle cable adjustment. There's a adjustment procedure link in the FAQ thread in the maintenance forum. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you. Has anyone been messing with the trans and or carb lately?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 4:05pm
Brett,
Here's the link to the tread on cable adjustment
BTW, I mentioned the FAQ thread in the maintenance section of the forums. If you get a chance, take a look at it. It's got fantastic links to just about anything concerning your CC or other boats as well. Lots of authors/members with a knowledge base I don't believe you will find anywhere else. If you don't find anything that pertains to your concern, just ask.

Did you ever get the 81 Southwind to start?

Are we ever going to see some pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 4:57pm
So you think is just a minor adjustment?

NO, the SW never started. She is sitting waiting for a stringer job and engine overhaul. When running she handled the Lake Erie conditions like a champ.

Thanks for the thread.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 5:16pm
Brett,
Went adjusting the cables, it's handy to have a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) for testing to make sure there's continuity through the switch when the shift is in neutral.

Has anyone been messing with the cable adjustments?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 5:23pm
Nope, nothing has been messed with. She runs great otherwise
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 5:26pm
So try adjusting the cables before going to the switch replacement.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by brettmac brettmac wrote:

So try adjusting the cables before going to the switch replacement.

The VOM will tell you if there's an intermittent continuity problem with the NSS. Get it out and do some testing before just throwing parts at the problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 6:34pm
Gotcha. Thanks. I'll keep ya posted.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 9:10pm
To be clear, only the trans cable needs to be adjusted to solve the problem you're describing. The throttle cable obviously doesn't factor in. All adjustments for this particular problem can be made at the trans end, don't touch the control end.

An intermittent NSS is unlikely to be solved by jiggling the handle, that's a classic cable adjustment issue.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 9:24pm
And often it's the cable clamping bracket that gets inadvertently bumped out of adjustment.

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 11:46pm
Not an uncommon issue, both of mine do this on occasion. Simpler on my 75 century as it has a dash neutral light. So, on occasion if it fails, I just rattle the throttle a tad until the green light goes on, then all's good....but CC's are not so equipped, or at least my 74 Southwind isn't. ..

Morfoot adjusted my SW a few years back but it still occasionally fails, which I've chalked up to 40+ year old linkage and all that.....no big deal and not enough for me to start replacing stuff, or at least not yet anyway. ...

I have determined that when it does happen, it's always when the very last throttle movement is to reverse (as in docking). If i give it a quick tap to forward just before shutting it off, the next time it starts fine every time without fail. Adjustment is obviously your proper fix, just thought this little tip might get you out of a jam someday....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 12:15pm
Great advice. Really appreciate the help
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 12:45pm
The brass barrel ends of the cables can wear, significantly and dangerously on these boats over time - If you have a boat that seems to constantly need some jiggling and doesn't seem to stay adjusted you might want to look behind that morse control and make sure you don't have a cable end about to break off
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

The brass barrel ends of the cables can wear, significantly and dangerously on these boats over time

Brett,
This is what Joe is talking about.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2016 at 7:52am
Ok. I'll have a look and circle back. Boat is tucked away for a few more weeks. Thanks.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2016 at 9:36pm
I had this common issue on my carbureted Supra. TRB is spot on. Assuming your little brass ferrule is not worn out, go down by the transmission linkage an you'll figure it out. Mine was loose, and once I got it adjusted using my multimeter checking continuity, fixed once and for all.
brettmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2017 at 12:49pm
Ok, rebuilt starter failed prior to layup last fall, winterized by hand. PIA. Before ordering a new starter to be clear, if the dizzy is rotating CCW when looking from the bow, it takes a CCW starter correct? Thanks in advance. BrettMac
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2017 at 3:28pm
See your other thread that you just started today
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2017 at 5:50pm
Lucky thing they are titled exactly the same so nobody would get confused and think they were in the correct thread
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic