NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tilt Helm

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
poz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tilt Helm
    Posted: November-21-2015 at 9:33am
The steering shaft on my tilt steering has some play in the upper bearings right behind the steering wheel. Has anyone ever tried to tighten that up by replacing the bearing? 1999 SN
Thanks
Let it snow
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 9:42am
Doug,
I did a search and here's some info. Take a look.

Where is the play in the bearings? The outer race to the housing, the inner to the shaft or inside the bearings themselves?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 9:51am
Depending on where the play is you are talking about, there are some plastic bushings on the hinge piviot (the point that allows it to tilt up and down) that I have replaced. The wheel seems to be completely loose and the shaft will have play left to right if those are worn. I was able to find a set at my local hardware store.
poz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 10:16am
Thanks for the ideas!
The play is in the upper bearing of the steering shaft. Just took a look at it and found a nylon bushing. I looked at the parts schematic of the other post you found and it doesn't appear to be serviceable. Looks like it might be time to make one, but first I will look for one at the hardware store. $200 for new tilt assembly. It's worth taking the time to repair it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 10:27am
Doug,
Glad we we able to help and you found the problem and it's a simple bushing and not a bearing. I'm curious as to why you say it's not serviceable? Do you just mean the bushing isn't available? Go for the bushing and keep in mind that anything that's been put together can be taken apart and parts replaced!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 10:45am
After reading your post, I think it may have been the bushings on the shaft that were bad on mine also. For some reason I was thinking they were in the pivots. Been a while. I'm sure you can fine them somewhere locally and that will fix the problem for way less than the $200 new helm!
poz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 11:43am
I might call telefex just to see if they can provide a replacement. The shaft bushing also has a shoulder or collar that serves as a thrust washer.
poz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 11:48am
Peter,
To clarify, the bushing is very easy to remove but it did not show up as a separate part in the diagram.
Thanks
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 12:06pm
Might be easier to measure yours and get one here
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by poz poz wrote:

I might call telefex just to see if they can provide a replacement. The shaft bushing also has a shoulder or collar that serves as a thrust washer.

Why? Do you want to pay the horrendous mark up from an OEM for a commercially available part? I was going to link McMaster but Gary did it for me. Don't assume what material it is made from. Look at the dynamic loads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
poz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 1:59pm
Thanks Gary,
I found them at McMaster-Carr. I had to filet the tilt assembly because there is an upper and lower bushing. While I am into this, I will replace the tilt pivot bushings also. The new bushings are to long but I think they can be cut to proper depth by putting them on the shaft and cutting them with a tubing cutter. Sad thing is the tilt joint on the steering shaft has some play, but I will live with that.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 2:09pm
I understand why things are designed they way they are but that universal in that tilt mechanism could that be any cheesier?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
poz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 2:31pm
Couldn't be any cheesier and still be safe.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 6:08pm
Gary, udaman. That's the way to help!
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
poz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2016 at 8:09pm
i did get these bushings for my tilt helm from McMasrer-Carr.
Part Number: 1281N22 and 1281N24. Two of each at $33 total.
They removed most of the play in the helm.
Thanks All
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic