Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterize 1982 Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Terry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterize 1982 Nautique
    Posted: November-18-2015 at 7:06pm
I just drained my engine block and was wondering if it is OK to re-install the drain plugs. It is suppose to be below 32% this weekend and I wanted to make sure I had it ready for the freeze. Would it be better to leave them out all winter?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2015 at 7:13pm
No need to leave them out if the water is all drained. Better to reinstall them so the threads do not corrode.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2015 at 7:40pm
Terry,
Don't you still have some skiing and boating time left living in Tuscaloosa? Keep in mind it may take days depending on how low the temp gets to do any damage. 32 is just barely freezing!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2015 at 9:31pm
Don't forget about manifolds, j tube,, trans cooler, water stainer & RWP - all need draining.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2015 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Terry,
Don't you still have some skiing and boating time left living in Tuscaloosa? Keep in mind it may take days depending on how low the temp gets to do any damage. 32 is just barely freezing!

Perhaps a wee bit colder there but Not far away in Atlanta 10 day forecast supposed to drop below one night but daytime highs 50's and 60's, like Pete says it takes some consistent freeze time to get solid enough for damage. Also do you store in inside or outside?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Terry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2015 at 11:44am
I store inside a garage but it is not heated.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2015 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Terry Terry wrote:

I store inside a garage but it is not heated.

Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Terry,

Perhaps a wee bit colder there but Not far away in Atlanta 10 day forecast supposed to drop below one night but daytime highs 50's and 60's, like Pete says it takes some consistent freeze time to get solid enough for damage. Also do you store in inside or outside?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2015 at 9:35pm
Pete perhaps you could elaborate?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 6:52am
Terry,
There's not a easy way to calculate how cold it needs to be, how long of a time that cold lasts plus factoring in insulating values of where an object is to tell if the water in that object is going to freeze. All I'm saying as well as Jeff, is you don't need to worry about your engine at this time when the temp is expected to drop about 32 over night and then go up the following day. As mentioned, if you still want to use the boat and you haven't drained, I'd hold off on the winterizing. What many do to extend their boating time is to place a incandescent work light under their dog house overnight. Some even go to the extent of purchasing small heaters designed for the purpose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 11:18am

Terry,
There's not a easy way to calculate how cold it needs to be, how long of a time that cold lasts plus factoring in insulating values of where an object is to tell if the water in that object is going to freeze. All I'm saying as well as Jeff, is you don't need to worry about your engine at this time when the temp is expected to drop about 32 over night and then go up the following day. As mentioned, if you still want to use the boat and you haven't drained, I'd hold off on the winterizing. What many do to extend their boating time is to place a incandescent work light under their dog house overnight. Some even go to the extent of purchasing small heaters designed for the purpose.

+1 on what Pete says.
Simple science here guys. Look at when you get a frost and the ground is frozen but under a tree it's not. Or we throw a blanket over tropical plants here in the south to save them when the temps dip to freezing overnight.
Same idea applies when the frost has to get under a boat cover....and engine cover... and then be cold enough to freeze the water through a cast iron block. Believe me it needs to get well under freezing for a long time before you'll have a problem.

When I lived in WI, I never put my boat away until at least Thanksgiving or even into Dec. It got used well into this time frame and many, many times the temps would get well into the teens for several days. All I ever did was put a trouble light under the engine cover when I knew it was going to get that cold. You'll be fine.at 32 overnight.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 11:22am
32 over night I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep. I've kept water in the block when it's been in the low 20s over night with highs only in the upper 30s with NO HEAT SOURCE. If the 24 average was above 32 I wouldn't do anything. Plot the temperature and see most of the time you're closer to the daily high than the low.

Then again pulling a few plugs and hoses takes about 5 minutes...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 11:32am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

When I lived in WI, I never put my boat away until at least Thanksgiving or even into Dec. It got used well into this time frame and many, many times the temps would get well into the teens for several days. All I ever did was put a trouble light under the engine cover when I knew it was going to get that cold. You'll be fine.at 32 overnight.

Eddie,
You'll understand but some in the south may not nor even know about block heaters. I plugged mine in overnight but of course it's a diesel!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 11:45am
Much like you understanding the cooled seat concept
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Much like you understanding the cooled seat concept

Careful Gary. You're just a "transplanted" part time southerner northerner!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 12:42pm

Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Eddie,
You'll understand but some in the south may not nor even know about block heaters. I plugged mine in overnight but of course it's a diesel!!

Plenty of us down here not from here....I remember well plugging in my diesel F250 every night....don't miss it a bit....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 1:18pm

Plenty of us down here not from here......

Hence the term Damn Yankee!

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 1:46pm
Tim, used to be a great BBQ place in Park City called Texas Red's. He had a big mural on the wall of 2 mean dogs laying in the yard looking bored. There was a caption over one saying to the other, "let's go bite some Yankees". One of the guys we skied with was from the Piedmont area, and every year he'd laughed his ass off over that mural and tell Red how much he liked it. Up here that word has a bit of a different meaning.

I can't imagine not winterizing a boat, even in FLA.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Plenty of us down here not from here......

Hence the term Damn Yankee!

Well Tim, I've lived in Georgia for 18 years plus 6 in FL., so I must get at least partial credit. ...although must admit in all that time I've yet to master the skill of convincingly inserting the word Y'all into a sentence. ...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I can't imagine not winterizing a boat, even in FLA.

At this point Bruce I can't even remember if I drained it after I flushed the saltwater out of the block. Where we are at if it were to freeze,the boat would be the least of my troubles Of course when it gets down to the 60's everyone is freezing anyway
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 2:56pm

Careful Gary. You're just a "transplanted" part time southerner northerner!!

AKA "Snowbird"

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic