Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Perko Flush kit

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perko Flush kit
    Posted: October-07-2015 at 11:42pm
Has any one installed a perko inline flush fitting on a late 90's PCM 5.7 350? I ordered one for my 96. There is not a lot of room between the hull fitting and the strainer. Is this possible?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 11:58pm
The Perko system is a complicated over priced item that seems to break,says people who have used them. Read the first page of this it's what many of us here use- Timmy T
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 11:58pm
I'd return it and go with the "Timmy T" which is a valve, a tee, some barbs and a garden hose adapter. I see if I can find a link to several threads here on site. The Perko reportedly has been improved since they break but the Timmy doesn't, works better and is less expensive!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 8:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I see if I can find a link to several threads here on site.

Dave,
Gary beat me to providing the link! Do read it since as mentioned it's simple, inexpensive and doesn't break. Disregard the picture of CQ! Hopefully you can return the Perco. Get in the habit of searching the site or asking first since CCfan has so much valuable information.

What's the intent of the hose connection? Just running the engine out of the water or do you run in salt/brackish water? If it's for winterizing, I'm not in favor of pumping the antifreeze through the system. Drain and pour just as the engine manuals recommend.

EDIT: Out of curiosity to see if Perco mentions anything about a "new and improved design", I went to their site. Nothing about the design mentioned but, I did happen to notice they have a chart that shows the pressure differential (CV value) across the Flush Pro. It must have been someone in marketing that decided to use the graph since from an engineering standpoint, it shows a fairly bad CV!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 10:52pm
Dave,
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

What's the intent of the hose connection? Just running the engine out of the water or do you run in salt/brackish water? If it's for winterizing, I'm not in favor of. pumping the antifreeze through the system. Drain and pour just as the engine manuals rec

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2015 at 4:54pm
I have one installed in my Supra. Was there when i got the boat. It is convenient, I like it. No cracks or issues in several years of use, I think it's a great product.

Not sure I'd spend $150-ish to buy one new though, I'd probably make my own flushing setup with a T and some valves/adaptors.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2015 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by cadunkle cadunkle wrote:

I'd probably make my own flushing setup with a T and some valves/adaptors.

Lets, not get too complicated! All you need is 3 pieces!

The "Timmy T":

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 1:00pm
Wouldn't you have reduced flow and some air to the RWP without a valve on the through hull side? Unless positioned so the through hull is uphill and RWP downhill...

I kind of like the 3 way valve right off the through hull method... Also gives you the option to turn the valve and use the RWP as a secondary/tertiary bilge pump depending on how you position it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 1:35pm

Wouldn't you have reduced flow and some air to the RWP without a valve on the through hull side?

Yes. It's ok.

The one thing those shut off valves are good for is frying impellers and overheating the motor when you forget to open it up after running on the trailer. KISS.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Wouldn't you have reduced flow and some air to the RWP without a valve on the through hull side?

Yes. It's ok.

The one thing those shut off valves are good for is frying impellers and overheating the motor when you forget to open it up after running on the trailer. KISS.

Cory,
You aren't spending enough time on CCfan searching and reading!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 4:10pm
Even simpler (arguably I suppose) is to just take the output hose off the trans cooler, jam the garden hose end in there, secure with existing hose clamp, done. Been doing that for 10 years now, and lately on 2 separate boats, with no problems. Then again I don't run off the hose often.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 5:21pm
I don't even do that. I just stick my brass twist hose nozzle into the hose, twist it open a little, fire up the boat, then open it up more.

However, I do plan to add a Timmy Tee this year since I have little else to do other than oil and fluids when I W in a few weeks.

Why not add one -- a man has gotz to have boat projects to work on to keep sane. :)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 5:44pm

.I kind of like the 3 way valve right off the through hull method...

Cory,
With your method, don't forget it masks the RWP performance due to the water pressure in the hose.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Even simpler (arguably I suppose) is to just take the output hose off the trans cooler, jam the garden hose end in there, secure with existing hose clamp, done. Been doing that for 10 years now, and lately on 2 separate boats, with no problems. Then again I don't run off the hose often.

Joel,
Not arguing but it sounds like you like to go searching for a ratchet/socket or a nut driver, stand on your head to get down to the trans cooler, loosen the hose on the trans cooler, fight with removing the hose and then tighten the garden hose in the cooling hose. The removal is then the opposite plus hoping the hose on the trans cooler doesn't suck air. To me, that sure is more complicated and time consuming than the Timmy T. With Gary's idea of using the quick connect garden hose fitting, you don't even have to screw on the garden hose! The Timmy T has to be at least 1/10th the time.

BTW, you too are forgetting that the garden hose pressure masks the RWP performance.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 6:37pm
Agree with Pete that the tee is simpler to use once added. It too, may mask rwp issues though. It's for convenience- bucket method is proper for testing the cooling system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic