NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monster Tower

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
astinespring View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astinespring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monster Tower
    Posted: September-29-2015 at 7:16pm
Hey Guys,
I recently picked up a 2001 Sport and I am wanting to take the Monster Tower MT1 off of my 1990 Ski and put it on my Sport. I am very nervous about drilling through the gel coat on the 2001 to install the Tower. Has anyone in the Orlando area installed a monster tower themselves? Any Tips? Anyone want to lend a hand and help out? I will provide the beverages for the occasion.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 7:25pm
Did you install the MT1 yourself? The problem you will run into is that I believe one step of installing the MT1 is to drill holes into it to add bolts to stabilize it at the top. The directions says once this is done it is locked and it cannot be adjusted again. If the beam is different you might run into problems. So I might write to Monster and compare your old and new beam to be sure you can make it fit the new boat.

Now, I just remember this from when I debated monster versus aerial for my other boat. I could be wrong.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astinespring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 7:28pm
We did not install ourself the first time. It came on the boat. I will check into that for sure.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 8:02pm
Not endorsing a tower install, but have heard that running the drill backwards thru the gelcote prevents chipping.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Not endorsing a tower install, but have heard that running the drill backwards thru the gelcote prevents chipping.

Backwards a drill bit really doesn't cut. It sort of burns its way through. I like to make hole locations and go at the gel with a burr in the Dremel. Grind the gel off slightly larger than the hole. This drastically reduces any stress on the gel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 11:26pm
Do what Pete said and also apply some masking tape first then apply the Dremel stone. The tape is suppose to also help to keep the Gel from chipping . I do not see how it does, but I did this when I installed a FCT2 on my 2002 Sport. It came out great.

My used, FCT2 was from a 2001 Air Nautique which is the same hull and deck with different decals and two hard ballast tanks. There was a very nice Flight Control Tower Gen 2 on Planet Nautique for sale in Kentucky a few weeks ago. I believe it had a deposit on it. It also came off of a 210 so it may not fit. You may want to be patent and wait for one to come up. They seem to pop up in Florida more than most places. Those were optional from the factory for these boats. Remember to install the backing plates under the fiberglass. I also bedded with epoxy. New Dimension in Maryville, TNN makes a great FCT2 clone.

JMO,

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2015 at 11:38pm
I'll be more than happy to lend a hand. Where in Orlando are you?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astinespring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 2:01pm
How much did you pay for the FTC if you do not mind me asking.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astinespring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2015 at 2:04pm
I spoke with Monster Towers and they did say that once the back legs are set there is no moving them. We are taking measurements to see how that lines up. I love the idea of grinding down the gel goat like mentioned. I would love to be patient and wait on FCT in Florida to pop up, but that could be a long time waiting.

JPASS, have you installed one before? The boat is on Lake Brantley.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by astinespring astinespring wrote:

I think I gave $1200, but it may of been $1,500. I honestly do not remember. I need to ask the wife. She will remember.

My tower came with Nautique Board Racks and Speakers, all that I sold, to help pay for other upgrades. So it is very hard to say what they are worth. It is a supply and demand thing.

I also picked up a Tower's Bimini Top with it for another $400 that I had to change the fabric color to match my boat. I also had the gray powder coat removed and replaced locally with black. powder. I feel that it came out great. The powder coat was $400.00. It seems like I could of gotten a Black New Dimension installed for around $2600.00 and I jumped on this one because it was OEM. I installed the FCT2 myself with the help of my wife and my 14 year old daughter. My shoulders would not let me slide all the way into the passenger compartment to fully tighten the left front leg. I sent my 14 year old in for that one. LOL !!!    

Do not tell anyone, but I am scared of PETE B. so I wanted to keep it original. .

I actually drove from NC to Boston to pick it up so you also have to factor that into the mix. However, by the end of this summer, it has all came out the way that I wanted it to. To me, it looks 100% factory and I just got my new Tower Bimini's fabric yesterday, but I can not yet install it due to the hard east coast rain for the storms. It all should come together early next week for my 2002 Sport Nautique (Master's Edition).

The way I was looking at it was. I had spent top dollar on this boat, and I did not want to cheap out on a tower that was going to stand out like a beacon. The tower needed to have the same attention to detail that they the rest of the boat had. I hope I got there. I am taking the rig to the Badin Lake Mini reunion on Oct 9 TH, and I am hoping to get some good photo's for the diaries. Maybe Tim Bob will take some nice shots for me to post. .

JMO,

Donald
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 4:15pm
We will be looking to see if you have those Monster Tower clips on it and if so your fate with Pete is quite certain. I would also suggest that you leave the tube at home
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

We will be looking to see if you have those Monster Tower clips on it and leave the tube at home

Hey, I did buy a MONSTER Carbon Fiber Black Mirror Tower Arm and the Clips are Roswell my Player Hating Friend.    And the Tube is a Super Mable three rider for me and the ladies to go riding..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2015 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by astinespring astinespring wrote:

Go to interesting Craig's list finds. There is a FCT2 Tower for sale in Florida. It is a expensive but it comes with some extras.

Good luck.

Donald
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic