NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2015 at 12:13am
Kostas,
Some try to fill the block and in my opinion that's just a waste of antifreeze. Think about the drain only method that has been used for years, still is and works. If the engine is drained, the addition of say a gallon is simply an added safety precaution just in case there's a small pocket of water remaining.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2015 at 12:24am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kostas,
Some try to fill the block and in my opinion that's just a waste of antifreeze. Think about the drain only method that has been used for years, still is and works. If the engine is drained, the addition of say a gallon is simply an added safety precaution just in case there's a small pocket of water remaining.

Thanks Pete! I would guess my father-in-law did it this way to avoid draining hoses. Going to review the manual!
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2015 at 9:06am
I fill my engine with Jell-O shots so it's ready in spring.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2015 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

I fill my engine with Jell-O shots so it's ready in spring.

Chris,
Make sure there's enough vodka to bring the burst point down to -50 just in case there's some water still in the engine. What flavor do you prefer?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wawasee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wawasee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2015 at 7:05pm
I am new here and recently purchased 95 Sport Nautique. We always had a mechanic winterize our previous Nautiques, however, I am wondering if this method of winterization is good or bad. Looking to do this myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb9IdS-Z3DEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb9IdS-Z3DE
95 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2015 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by wawasee wawasee wrote:

I am new here and recently purchased 95 Sport Nautique. We always had a mechanic winterize our previous Nautiques, however, I am wondering if this method of winterization is good or bad. Looking to do this myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb9IdS-Z3DEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb9IdS-Z3DE

John,
Well, the method may work but, he didn't drain the block first!! Do you want to take a chance that there isn't any water still in the engine? I sure would not. Do understand that RV antifreeze is NOT meant to be diluted!! Did you read this thread? Have you looked at your owners manual?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
wawasee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wawasee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2015 at 10:45pm
Thanks for your feedback! Yes, I read the thread and the owners manual. I just saw that video and thought I would see what members opinions are on it. It seemed like the guy in the video was cutting corners.
95 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2015 at 10:55pm
John,
Thanks for the interest in the winterizing methods. It sounds like you have done your research so good luck with your own winterizing. If anything does come up, we're here. I sure hope people don't follow that youtube vid since I sure don't like the fact that he didn't make a point of draining first. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic