NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where to install Radio in '76 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to install Radio in '76 Ski Nautique
    Posted: September-03-2015 at 3:18pm
I'm looking to install a radio in my '76 Ski Nautique. Not for when I am cruising but when we are at the sand bar or out swimming. The exhaust tone is way too sweet to try and drown out with a radio. There isn't enough dash space for a head unit or a place to mount speakers. So I would need to build custom speaker boxes. Anybody have any ideas?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 3:26pm
Put it in a cooler, put the battery and amp inside, cut holes in it for the speakers. Throw it in the boat when heading to the sandbar
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 3:38pm
When I had my 77' way back when I would just bring my boom box, had a waterproof one that fit right on the dash, used it also when not running at speed. So many great options for portable docking stations out there, that and your IPod/IPhone and you are set!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 3:42pm
Everything Joe said, (one of the CCF guys has a "cooler radio" many of us have seen and it certainly is "cool". )

But/or, as a possible alternative, instead of putting a battery in the cooler, plug it into the boat with an inconspicuously mounted power socket, like for a phone plug.

Only caution with that vs the self contained battery is running your boat battery down, but you would have to watch that with a boat mounted radio anyway.    
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 3:48pm
Seen many stereo posts but that's best one yet.......congrats on your LPSL approach to boating and music!

+1 on uninstalled portable setups above
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

I just bring my boom box, have a waterproof one that fits right on the dash, use it also when not running at speed. So many great options for portable docking stations out there, that and your IPod/IPhone and you are set!!

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 3:53pm
You can put a battery in there and have cables to plug into the boat... that way you can run off the battery till it dies then start up the boat to charge it, no chance of a tow back and no end to the tunes for the day, just take a ride while it charges.

I am a big fan of a nice stereo in boats, but also a fan of having a lot of boats so the cooler option is getting to be mandatory.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 4:00pm
I plug my phone/ipod directly in to my JBL amp which powers two rear 6" speakers. Works and sounds great, with the hidden amp by the driver's feet and a long aux cable. Bought some speaker boxes from Amazon and cut to fit under the gunnel on my '82 SN. Wrapped and glued some outdoor carpet from Home Depot and they seem to blend in pretty well. Bought a deep cycle battery to run the whole thing so I don't need the key on clocking hours when we're parked listening to music.

1TAZZ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1TAZZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 4:30pm
Go with the Bose BlueTooth No wires to run or holes to drill no drain on your battery plus you can use anywhere you want I love mine..
Lake Wylie NC
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 4:37pm
I do the same thing with RCAs directly into the amp. Works great and the I phone has a decent EQ but really that's mostly in amp tuning low and high pass filters.

I will probably end up adding one of the Wet Sounds blue tooth knobs for convenience.. They work great other than I don't like the scale of how the volume goes up and down. They are also the same size to fit in the old systems alarm hole.

I also have a bose color sound blue tooth speaker. Great for in the house and on the porch but a little weak for outdoor activities if you like to jam.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 5:04pm
Blue tooth speakers and an ipod. My speaker even floats.

Waterski mag product highlights
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 7:58pm
I had the same issue with putting a stereo in the 72. Didn't wanna ruin the Original look and I'd rather listen to Radio Holman Moody anyway. That's a song I never get tired of no matter how many times you play it so I took a page out of reidp's playbook and went with a Bluetooth speaker. I went with the JBL Charge . It sounds great, came in Lime Green, doubles as a device charger, has a Mic if someone calls you while your jammin' and has a headset jack if you wanna connect an ipod to it. (or use the USB port) Bluetooth is the way to go as you're gonna have someone who doesn't like your taste in music and would like to play stuff from there phone. Streaming music is the way to go and its compact with big sound...... Add me to the list of I use it all the time, especially when I'm tinkering in the garage. Funny thing though.....the phone is almost always streaming Mr. Chesney when I'm doing boat related work and a beer is cracked open usually by the 2nd song. Can't figure out why but it does!   
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by sberard5 sberard5 wrote:

There isn't enough dash space for a head unit or a place to mount speakers.

Steve,
Actually, I'm glad to hear that there isn't any room in the dash. I've seen too many back yard chain saw hacks go at the dash's of classics like your 76.    The cooler idea is fantastic!! If you do want to install the speakers on the boat, several members have done fantastic jobs with enclosures that fasten under the gunnels and do not interfere with the original.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 11:32pm
Pete: wish you'd commented on this a few weeks ago. We just cut an aged waterlogged Sunfish into bite-sized pieces with a Sawzall. Quite fun actually, but are you saying a chainsaw may have been a more appropriate tool for such detailed fiberglass work?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

are you saying a chainsaw may have been a more appropriate tool for such detailed fiberglass work?

Jeff,
Yes, but for the detail work, you need the fine tooth chain on the saw plus the ATB (alternate top bevel) on the teeth.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 11:53pm
You gotta know your limits with a boombox.

Boombox

sberard5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sberard5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 9:54am
Definitely don't want to cut or drill any holes in the dash. I like the idea the portable cooler unit with amp, just wonder how long the battery would last. Problem is, space in this boat is a premium. One thing I am considering is purchasing a job site radio that works with my Ridgid Drill/Driver. Has a Li-ion battery back and should last a day on the water.
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 10:53am
trbenj just made a great radio in a cooler...I bet he can chime in for parts/cooler/dimension/costs -- if you want to go that route. it runs off a small lawn mower battery
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 11:27am
Love my cooler radio, I made it nice and compact so it fits in all of my boats pretty easily, including the older 16' ones. I used one of the smaller Coleman stacker coolers, pretty small footprint. Sounds great and lasts for 1-2 days. Lawn mower batt is actually too big, I used a more compact 12v batt of some sort from Amazon. I reused an old amp I had but everything else cost me about $200. So id budget $250 for a similar one. I used an RCA to phono cable with a bulkhead connector, I play it off my phone. Works great on the boat or in the yard, should have built one sooner.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 11:58am
Its times like these that we miss Radio Shack.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 12:34pm
I bet Yeti makes one? Anyone up for a 1500 dollar radio cooler? ha
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 4:13pm
I made one with a Polyplaner Amp and two 6.5" speakers for my 80. I made leads to use the boats battery for power. Just ran the I-phone 5 right into the amp and the speaker off the amp all in the coleman cooler. I was getting ready to go with the blue tooth speaker when I changed to the Sport Nautique but it has a sound system in it.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2015 at 5:08pm
You can buy a Bluetooth receiver that has RCAs and plugs directly into an amp. Just put one in the 210. No more CDs, no more I phone cables. It was $39 and works great. It's about 1"X1" so it takes up zero space. It also allows you to use your phone as a wireless remote of sorts at the sandbar. Just make sure it's in a waterproof case haha.
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
797nautiqe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 797nautiqe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2015 at 10:57am
I have a 75 SN and the radio is mounted under the dash between the spotter seat and driver seat. I put speaker is the side where the ski self is. It works great.I have two speakers on each side and a 10 inch sub behind the spotter seat and there is still plenty of room for gear in the boat.
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 12:32pm
Buy one of these. You'll be amazed by the sound and will never be tethered again!

Bose Soundlink Mini
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic