Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Knocking noise when pulling Skier out of water

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
alb1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alb1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knocking noise when pulling Skier out of water
    Posted: August-28-2015 at 8:44pm
We used our '81 Ski Nautique this week and when my wife hit the throttle to pull me up, the boat hesitated and stalled a few times...... the boat made a "knocking" sound a few times that honestly sounded like metal on metal....I couldn't hear where it was coming from. When we were to pulling anyone, the boat was completely fine. I just had the carb rebuilt and was thinking the hesitation could be tuning related, but was more concerned about the "knocking"....any feedback, or suggestions regarding how and what to investigate would be greatly appreciated!

I did eventually get pulled out, but it wasn't smooth....at all!

Once we planed out it was great!

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 9:48pm
Spark knock from low octane gas? Could you of gotten some bad gas from a pump? Picked up some water from bottom of the tank? Could it of been a bad damper plate on your transmission? Just wild guesses since I did not hear it.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 10:11pm
If you just had your carb rebuilt, check for play in the accelerator pump linkage. Make sure it's properly adjusted.

Look at 1:20 specifically in this video:

It wouldn't knock per se, but it would definitely hesitate if it's out of spec.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 10:57pm
Was the sound coming from the aft of the engine? With the stall and hesitation causing a low rpm, the trans will produce a knocking sound. Also, when was the last time the damper was changed? They are almost considered to be a maintenance item. How many hours are on the boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
alb1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alb1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 11:14pm
I was in the water in the first instance. We did make it happen while I was onboard and it sounded like it came from the aft. The more I read about dampers, it appears to be the most plausible answer. The engine has 530 hrs, and supposedly the transmission was "recently" rebuilt. Like I said this only happened while trying to get my chunky 200lb butt out of the water or when we really got on the throttle from low rpm. What to do now? Thinking about doing the stringers in the future, so just wait until then and just not hammer it?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2015 at 1:23am
Or check the accelerator pump linkage.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2015 at 10:04am
The trans may of been worked on without the damper plate being replaced which would of been a big short cut ( JMO). The damper is between the trans and the engine so it is not too big of a deal to fix while leaving the engine in the boat. Accel Pump Adjust would also be an even easier bridge to cross first. Both repairs could be easily done before tackling a stringer job.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic