Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CNC Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
alb1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alb1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CNC Stringers
    Posted: August-16-2015 at 12:59am
After looking at a bunch of threads regarding stringer restoration, my question is...... would Correct Craft have the original blue prints/plans for their boats...and from those plans couldn't "we" make CAD files with the info public domain?

From these CAD files could we make the stringer restoration job A LOT easier by utilizing a CNC machine?

Hypothetically, wouldn't it be better to replace my '81 stringers with updated composite ones?

Just putting it out there as the thought of embarking on a full stringer project as I have seen on here is giving me slight anxiety!

I know a major retort will be cost and accessibility to CNC.....but I know this cost has come down drastically over the last few years as the technology has evolved....and will continue to do so.

I think it is an interesting concept and would love to hear others responses to what might seem like a radical idea.
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 1:18am
I would like to see plans for this (without the UGLY pylon of course).

alb1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alb1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 1:23am
woah....pretty cool looking....but you are correct, whats up with the ugly pylon?
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 1:36am
There was a complete build thread on PN when that was constructed. That was not a factory CC build.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 1:50am
Two guys on CCFAN have done Composite Stringers with CAD Drawings. They took the wooden stringers from their boats and entered the dimensions into a CAD program. They then used CAD to design an improved stringer system using COSA board. One was a Barefoot Nautique and the other was a 2001 Ski Nautique Hull so their numbers would not transfer over to your particular hull. However, you too can dig out your wood and measure and do the same. I doubt that Correct Craft will share their dimension so you can modify their design. Too much liability. The lawyers typically freak out on this type of crap. Even if it is better, it still presents liability in the eyes of large Corporations. Also, their Engineers are busy on current projects and are not going to spend time on digging into the past.   I know how this works since I work for a fortune 500 manufacturing company. Get you some Douglas Fur Wood and some epoxy and go at it.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I doubt that Correct Craft will share their dimension so you can modify their design. Too much liability. The lawyers typically freak out on this type of crap. Even if it is better, it still presents liability in the eyes of large Corporations. Also, their Engineers are busy on current projects and are not going to spend time on digging into the past.   I know how this works since I work for a fortune 500 manufacturing company. Get you some Douglas Fur Wood and some epoxy and go at it.

Donald,
Very well stated. A must not understand corporate policy

A,
Strip your hull down to nothing but the glass, laser scan it, design the stringer system with CAD, feed that into your CNC and cut the composite. The CAD results could then be utilized by anyone with the same hull but, I suggest running the idea past your lawyer first.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
alb1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alb1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 10:57am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

I doubt that Correct Craft will share their dimension so you can modify their design. Too much liability. The lawyers typically freak out on this type of crap. Even if it is better, it still presents liability in the eyes of large Corporations. Also, their Engineers are busy on current projects and are not going to spend time on digging into the past.   I know how this works since I work for a fortune 500 manufacturing company. Get you some Douglas Fur Wood and some epoxy and go at it.

Donald,
Very well stated. A must not understand corporate policy

A,
Strip your hull down to nothing but the glass, laser scan it, design the stringer system with CAD, feed that into your CNC and cut the composite. The CAD results could then be utilized by anyone with the same hull but, I suggest running the idea past your lawyer first.

I like the sound of that! Something I teach my students is to keep asking questions....when you hit a stumbling block there almost always is a work around. This seems like a worthwhile exploration.

I have had a lot of success when dealing with corporations and not afraid to keep digging until I exhaust all of my options. I have plan forward.

Would CC file with the US Patent office for every design? Those designs are public domain.

That could be a quick answer right there!

Either way I will keep looking and report back with the findings....thanks 8122pbrainard for the validating response!
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 1:30pm
I have the dxf/cad file for you hull you would only need to update the top of the stringers for the cradle you have as its for pre cradle SN
will post a link to my thread that has the drawing in it tomorrow when at my pc.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 1:32pm
Hello Roger, long time no see. How goes work on the Starflite?
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 12:37am
Originally posted by ultrahots ultrahots wrote:

There was a complete build thread on PN when that was constructed. That was not a factory CC build.

Can someone link that thread? I can't find it.
1972 Mustang
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 7:27am
Hi Jack sorry I did not reply as I had a cheeky peek on the site at a tea break gardening on my mini digger....The Starflite is safe and well, only some idea’s on long term tests and all the wood set aside.
Have enjoyed your updates on your boats keep it up, hope to be back on mine soon once I finished other projects.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 7:49am

Link    77/78 SN stringers bottom of the page.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
a0128 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a0128 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Chevy350 Chevy350 wrote:

Originally posted by ultrahots ultrahots wrote:

Can someone link that thread? I can't find it.

Here is one from this site. Some will probably remember. Not the same boat though.

2001 V-Drive
If money can't buy happiness, explain beer and boats.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic