Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

5.7 APEX Rough Idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique 64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique 64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5.7 APEX Rough Idle
    Posted: June-30-2015 at 6:27pm
This past fall I bought a really nice low hour 2002 Ski Nautique to have a little something more friendly for my wife to pull me than my trusty 64. Starts and runs great but the idle quality seems a little rough and not what I would have expected from a fuel injected engine. Thjs is the PCM 5.7 Apex with the different looking intake and injection set up. Never stalls it just runs rough at idle and low speeds. I pulled the plugs and all but a couple showed indications of running rich. I suspect I may have some injectors that are not atomizing the fuel well a low speed but don't know how the verify that is the problem. I also don't know if maybe these engines have enough cam that they just don't idle nicely.. Can anyone out there tell me if my expectations of this engine idling like my 64 sewing machine are wishful thinking. Also I have not been able to find much comprehensive information or manuals on this ejection system. Can anyone point me to a good source of a manual.
Thanks
Terry
Nautique 64
Ski Nautique 2002
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 6:59pm
Take a good look at the insides of the distributor. Those are known to fail in automotive world and take out the coil along with it. We had one that was a problem child for years and that is what solved it.

New Dizzy and coil and it was in business although it still doesn't idle as smoothly as a GT-40 or carb Ford. I suspect this one has worn valves being that it has a few hours on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique 64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2015 at 8:45pm

Thanks and will take a look.
Nautique 64
Ski Nautique 2002
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 1:58am
12 years old and low hours... I would be running fuel injector cleaner in every tank.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique 64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 9:24pm
Thanks and good advice. Does anyone have a favorite cleaner they would recommend using.
Nautique 64
Ski Nautique 2002
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic