NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder thighing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder thighing
    Posted: June-22-2015 at 12:54am
Rudder thighing spects or torque I am in the process of repacking the rudder. I at a lost to how thight you thighten it do thighten it till the rudder turns or does anyone know if there a specific torque to it .I have a socket and also made a crowfoot wrench for the backing nut .So hopefully don't have to remove balance tank because according to the information I got you need to re tighten it Thanks Stevo
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2015 at 7:04am
Sreve,
If you are talking about the packing nut, it can be pretty tight. Since it's not constantly turning like the prop shaft does, you don't need to worry about heat. I have never seen a torque spec.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 11:19pm
Thanks for your help. I guess I
need to re thighten it after a couple of hours of usage at 6 to 10 drops per minute at least that's what I have read. Thanks Steve
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2015 at 6:57am
Originally posted by steve a steve a wrote:

Thanks for your help. I guess I
need to re thighten it after a couple of hours of usage at 6 to 10 drops per minute at least that's what I have read. Thanks Steve

Steve,
You're reading the wrong info confusing the prop shaft packing with the rudder packing. Yes, the prop shaft does need the dripping since it's rotating and needs the water for some of it's lubrication. The rudder does not. I tighten the rudder gland down till it doesn't leak at all. The packing especially the newer Gortex is self lubricating for low rpm to static applications like a rudder. A good comparison to rudder packing is your sink faucet valve stem. You tighter them until they don't leak but not to the point where they are difficult to turn.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2015 at 8:31am
My rudder was leaking so I tightened up the packing gland nut. Problem was it became too hard to turn the helm. Had to loosen again and will replace packing
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2015 at 12:08pm
I appreciate the info. I also heard you need to re thighten packing nut after a couple of hours. Thanks Steve
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2015 at 6:57pm

I appreciate the info. I also heard you need to re thighten packing nut after a couple of hours. Thanks Steve

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
You're reading the wrong info confusing the prop shaft packing with the rudder packing. .

Steve,
I;m curious where you are getting your info.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 12:43am
Thanks maybe I to look at some of videos I washed on youtube. The problem is I stopped in the middle of my first project . That was replacing cuttless bearing. I ordered nautique skins from Christines. Because I guests the excitement of the new skins and wanted to get started now that I am done with that project .I is time to finish up my original project. Appreciate the help and correcting my short comings but that's where I am at . Steve
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 3:21am
I guess I should go edit my posting better because I reviewed it. Realize that I left out some words .When it comes to grammar well that another issue especially on a computer compared to writing down like in school not that I am old but at the age of 50 plus computer in the class room what was that .remember the comadore 64 I think that was it if you were lucky to have access to it Thanks Stevo
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 1:23pm
Maybe you could give me your opinion. Iam debating on trying something new or just different. With the rudder since this a started with me having to replace cuttless bearing .I have a 2000airnautique well it has balance tanks. I don't know if you ever had to deal with this but according to what I have heard is you need to remove it when you're replacing the packing .l have a problem because my fuel tank is haft full. It looks like to remove balance or moving it enough to get a wrench on the nuts.So I have been complatining to try to think outside of the box. I have come up with an idea with using a large socket for packing nut and a crowfoot wrench for adjusting nut . I guess in my time off or when I changed projects I miss placed the adjusting nut .So I had to get another one . I don't know but the new adjusting nut the outside diameter is large than the packing . So instead of using a crows foot which I would probably have to make for that size. I able to purchase a deep well socket from an auto store . Napa . I did a dry run I was able get adjusting nut tighten up to packing nut .Now it did cost me money for the extra tools but with summer knocking at my door something you have do what you do. I was wondering if you have had or heard of someone doing this or something like it .l did post this Idea on another site. Thanks Steve

steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 1:24pm
Maybe you could give me your opinion. Iam debating on trying something new or just different. With the rudder since this a started with me having to replace cuttless bearing .I have a 2000airnautique well it has balance tanks. I don't know if you ever had to deal with this but according to what I have heard is you need to remove it when you're replacing the packing .l have a problem because my fuel tank is haft full. It looks like to remove balance or moving it enough to get a wrench on the nuts.So I have been complatining to try to think outside of the box. I have come up with an idea with using a large socket for packing nut and a crowfoot wrench for adjusting nut . I guess in my time off or when I changed projects I miss placed the adjusting nut .So I had to get another one . I don't know but the new adjusting nut the outside diameter is large than the packing . So instead of using a crows foot which I would probably have to make for that size. I able to purchase a deep well socket from an auto store . Napa . I did a dry run I was able get adjusting nut tighten up to packing nut .Now it did cost me money for the extra tools but with summer knocking at my door something you have do what you do. I was wondering if you have had or heard of someone doing this or something like it .l did post this Idea on another site. Thanks Steve

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 1:56pm
The "balance" tanks you speak of, do you mean ballast tanks?

Siphon the gas if you must.

The socket and crows foot seem extreme and expensive. You do not need much torque. The gland nut is just past hand tight and then the jam nut takes more. I've always used a couple of these:
Spud wrench

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 6:24pm
Thanks actually I already had the socket to packing nut .The deep socket was under 20 dollars and guy said if I don't scratch it up or doesn't work to bring it back and he refund me the cost . If it works I will keep it only right thing to do .l really appreciate the info. Thanks Steve
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 11:50am
A little proofreading would go a long way. I have a hard time following your posts.
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2015 at 12:45pm
Sorry about that .

I am still having problems posting some times I send it and doesn't go. Still my fault. So I just make more time for post or have more patience. I could work on my spelling. Spell check. But I appreciate   the info on some of the subjects
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2015 at 1:40pm
Here I go again. The question for this week is. After everything all done how mush play do you have on the rudder. I do have a little bit of play is that ok .I did tighten packing nut quite a bit ,do I need to tighten it more. Thanks Steve

steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2015 at 12:50pm
Steve again. When I placed packing I used 4 ropes I do believe and when I tighten up packing nut. The rudder shaft ended up setting a 16th of a inch higher than the packing nut.
So I thinking my be I need to install another packing rope. Especially if there only 3 rolls . Thanks for your time and patience on this subject just feels like I am spinning my wheels or in this case spinning my prop. Thanks Steve
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 5:56pm

Here I go again. The question for this week is. After everything all done how mush play do you have on the rudder. I do have a little bit of play is that ok .I did tighten packing nut quite a bit ,do I need to tighten it more. Thanks Steve

Play in what direction??

Steve again. When I placed packing I used 4 ropes I do believe and when I tighten up packing nut. The rudder shaft ended up setting a 16th of a inch higher than the packing nut.
So I thinking my be I need to install another packing rope. Especially if there only 3 rolls . Thanks for your time and patience on this subject just feels like I am spinning my wheels or in this case spinning my prop. Thanks Steve

.0625" is less that the thickness of ether 3/16 or 1/4 packing so I don't recommend another layer of packing. I'd say you are fine but if you want, stick a brass washer in the space. Do keep in mind the up and down of the rudder in it's port is not a tight tolerance.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 1:19am
ASounds good . I going to do that with the brass washer I that will help. Another guestion is how many times can you tighten and retighten the packing it is brand new is it a one time deal so should I just replace it. Thanks Steve
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 1:28am
Wow something happens to my post. Sorry about that but it sent my 1st post before I could correct it .What Iwas trying to say is how many times can you tighten and retighten the packing before you need to replace it. I just replaced it and has not been in the water. Or is it a one time deal once tighten up your better off replacing it. Thanks
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 1:50am
Don't worry you'll be fine.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 7:20am

how many times can you tighten and retighten the packing before you need to replace it. I just replaced it and has not been in the water. Or is it a one time deal once tighten up your better off replacing it. Thanks

Since a rudder port doesn't see as much rotation as a prop shaft, the packing will last for many years and several tightening s. 40 years before a repack is not uncommon. .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
steve a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2015 at 12:28pm
Thanks now I can put this issue to rest . Well I quest I will miss the interaction with other correct craft fans. Next I planning to replace steering cable as well as throttle cable. I hear is not a big deal .but that's next year . Time to enjoy my boat. Like to Thank you guys   PS there is also another post I believe on Boat maintenance on the same subject maybe he could use your guys help. Because it sounds like he going to give up and take it to a you know a pro. I don't know why with help you get from this site.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic