NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anchoring 97 SNOB

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anchoring 97 SNOB
    Posted: June-16-2015 at 2:05am
Hi Guys,
I own a 1997 SNOB and I'm trying to head down to Lake Powell next week. Here is the thing though, I am concerned about how to anchor the darn thing. It doesn't have any D rings on the back like I am used to most boats having, that I would usually tie up to. It has the front D ring that I hook to the trailer to winch it up on the trailer, but on the back there is nothing. Only the loop that sticks up, that I'm told is only for lifting vertically, not for pulling horizontally, and then the two triangles that the swim deck hooks on to. Are the swim deck loops strong enough to anchor off of? I guess the only other thing is just the little hand rail that you use to help you get up on the swim deck, but I can't imagine that would possibly have any strength at all.

Any ideas, thoughts, knowledge or opinions. I can't believe I have had my boat for 3 years now and it has only ever been a course princess tied up for the day to the ski dock.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 2:25am
The lift ring is fine to use for the anchor.
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 2:44am
Oh really? That would be awesome!! Super easy. So what was all that stuff I used to hear about it being only for vertical use?
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 3:57am
In my boating class they say to never anchor from the stern. 1. Anchor from the bow so the boat is always pointing into the current/tide. 2. Since the stern has the potential to sit lower, you increase the probability to swamp with a stern anchor.

Boat-Ed.com unit 4: topic 2

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 7:40am
Agree that mooring from the bow is appropriate.

The "platform loops" are the rear lift rings.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 7:59am
not arguing against spiral, because that is true and a good guideline. but In my opinion i say to use your best possible judgement whether to anchor from bow or stern. in calm shallow waters, I will usually tie up at the stern and sometimes I'll hitch it on my boom midship just because I dont want anyone climbing over my windshield and slipping and hurting themselves. But it all depends on the wind direction, current, how people around you are anchored and how i want to be facing.
For example, If I anchored off the bow and the pontoon full of babes is ahead and the bayliner full of bros is off my stern I'm definitely going to spin that thing around.

To add a quick note on top of that I think its more important to have the right style anchor and enough chain and line. if you think you have enough chain you probably should get more. and enough rode to keep you anchored in the deepest part of your travels in case you need to stay put in an emergency.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 8:43am
Just fyi, the d ring in the front is called a bow eye.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 2:27pm
Our ocean vessels typically will swing on their bow chain at anchorage. Keeps the vessel pointed into the wind. That is good advice for many situations.

At Lake Powell you may have some deep areas of 100+ feet so be sure you have enough line. In the sheltered coves, I like to use a bow and stern rig to keep the boat fixed in one place. When anchored at shore I use a land spike for the bow and an anchor off the stern to keep from fouling the underwater gear. The bow typically stays off the shore a foot or 2.

Also, lake Powell is rising be extremely fast, so warch your anchorage. Ive seen several inexperienced boaters cut anchor lines in extreme conditions at Powell. Have fun!
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 2:40pm
& use an anchor line that floats.   Been there.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 3:49pm
Thanks everybody, you are all awesome!! I have some followup questions though that maybe you can help me with.

For very starters, there is no way possible that I can just anchor from the bow only. The situation I'm talking about here is not one where I'm in the middle of the lake fishing and I just want to put an anchor in and face into the wind. The situation is that I'm going to pull the boat right up to the beach that we are camping on and I'm trying to hold the boat just a few feet off the shore like you see in this picture below.

http://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/images/primitive_cmp_3.gif

If I only put a bow anchor on, then I could wake up in the morning with the wind blowing from our beach toward the water, and suddenly I have to swim 100 yards out to get in the boat to go skiing in the morning.

So what I need is kind of what Jonny Quest mentions where I will put a land spike on the shore and hook it to the front of the boat. Then I will need an anchor out further into the lake (I'm thinking slide anchor) that will connect to the back of the boat and with these two points, it will hold the boat in one spot and it will stay in that one spot regardless of wind direction while I am sleeping at night.

And then my question becomes, what should I hook the stern anchor to? Is it stronger to hook it to the lifting eye like gun-driver says? Or is is stronger to hook it to the metal loops of the swim deck like TRBenj seems to be suggesting? Or should I actually not hook to either one of them because neither of them is strong enough to hold a heavy wind load pulling on it if a storm comes up?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 3:50pm
rear lifting ring is fine
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 5:06pm
I agree, the rear lifting ring will be perfectly fine. We've done this countless times with both boats. I would advise you to rotate the bow out towards the lake though to prevent incoming waves from crashing over the transom and wanting to push the boat to shore. It also makes boarding easier. An anchor buddy works great in this situation as well.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 9:18pm
Super Awesome!! Thanks Guys. C-Bass, thanks tons for the pics, that is exactly what I would like to do is just like you show just hook a rope nice and easy to that back lifting ring. Thanks tons for posting those pics (plus they are just beautiful).

You seem to make some valid arguments with the concept of facing it forward away from the beach. Thanks much.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 9:41pm
Go to somewhere like Overton's.com and look up Anchor Buddy. Those systems are great. You anchor off shore with the bow and you basically pull the stern in close to shore to board the boat. The anchor buddy is like a big rubber band system. You can leave your anchor buddy out in the water during the day with a float while your boating. Then hook up later in the day.   Works easier with an open bow boat. You do not have to climb over the windshield.

C Bass,

Your boat looks great !!!!!!!!!!   

Donald
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

& use an anchor line that floats.   Been there.

Curious whats your reasoning behind this?

If your anchored in 40' of water and have 100+ feet of rode in the water and suddenly current or wind dies or changes, that 60+ feet of scope is going to float up and become a mess in your running gear.
-personally i hate floating line because.
a. it never coils good
b. knots do not hold
c. Chaffe factor is a thousand times worse than nylon
d. 200' of floating line is not going to store very easily.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2015 at 10:32pm
Most important:   Any Lake Powell visitors must return here with lots of photos.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 12:21am
I used morfoot's anchor buddy for the first time a few weeks ago and since got one Of my own.
Great gadget but keep in mind there are two sizes. The shallow water version works well here but I was only in maybe 6 feet of water. If you plan to use in deep water get the deeper water model
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2015 at 1:27pm
+1 on the anchor buddy.

I travel from lake to lake depending on the day so I never really know where I’ll need to tie up. I’ve tried a few methods, but found the anchor buddy works best.   When I want to pull up somewhere I tie the anchor buddy to the rear lift ring, drop anchor about 45’ from shore and idle in nose first. Once on shore I run a 15’ dock line from the bow eye to something solid, and let the anchor buddy pull the boat back out to deeper water.   When I want to board again I just pull the boat in to shore, climb on and let the bungee take me back out before firing up.

The trick is getting used to where and when to drop anchor. Too far away and it feels like a game of tug-of-war. Too close and it doesn’t have enough to pull the boat back off she shore.
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2015 at 3:21pm
Thanks again everybody. I'm back from the Lake and the boat is doing great. I ended up buying the box anchor and sand spike combo from slide anchor. It seems to have worked fine, although, the weather was good enough that it didn't really get tested much either.

I think my wife has some pics that I will try to post soon.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2015 at 4:12pm
Yeah... I am curious why someone would want floating anchor rode... chain rode or at least some chain works best.

Are you talking about a line for a stern anchor tied or set ashore?

escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 5:58pm
Well, as promised, here are the pics of it all anchored up. Not as beautiful for conditions as the other guy above, but maybe still informative.

rleinen79 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rleinen79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2015 at 8:37pm
I anchored my 97 SNOB from the rear lifting ring regularly. Never had an issue.

Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic