NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley 4160 Vent Tube for Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley 4160 Vent Tube for Fuel Pump
    Posted: May-30-2015 at 2:54am
My mechanical fuel pump has a vertical tube port with a clear hose that runs up to the carburetor. On the port side of the Holley 4160 marine carburetor, there is a "port" or vent for the clear fuel hose to hook into.

Does this vent tube at the carburetor port pull vacuum? Is the clear hose under vacuum constantly if hooked up to the carb?

It is my understanding that the purpose of the clear fuel line is to provide a safe path for fuel in the event of a pump diaphragm rupture. This way fuel does not leak into the bilge.

If the clear fuel hose is not under vacuum, then could the port on the Spark Arrestor serve as a hook-up point for the clear fuel hose?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 4:47am
General rule of thumb is any port at or below the throttle pate is constant vacuum or Manifold, and anything above to be off idle supplied or Port. The hose you speak of was routed to the Flame arrestor on my 79.

and my 87

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 7:55am
No vacuum. As mentioned, the vent is just a path for raw fuel in case of a diaphragm rapture, .

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 10:13am
Got it. Thanks. I'll route the line to the flame arrestor.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2015 at 7:36pm
I was wondering the same, since switching to a newer 4160 I now have the port on carb but the previous one didnt and I hooked it up to the flame arrestor. Will prob keep it as it was
'82 Ski Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic