Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Proper bow stop placement 86 CC trailer w/ SN 2001
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Proper bow stop placement 86 CC trailer w/ SN 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RobertV View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proper bow stop placement 86 CC trailer w/ SN 2001
    Posted: May-29-2015 at 9:42pm
Previous owner had the bow stop way off on my CC trailer that I presume is a 86 too. One side was 3 inches further back than the other. Had to cut off the rusted u-bolts to move it. My current placement of the bow stop puts the transom of the boat just at the edge/end of the wooden trailer rails. Previously the turnbuckle had a chain attached to the trailer end so it would reach the bow eye. I've since removed the chain as it is no longer needed.
Wanted to ensure proper boat placement and ideal tongue weight.
Am I close?
What should the tongue weight be?
TIA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 10:12pm
10%... So 300-350lbs.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 11:12pm
Brings up a question. My trailers are both functional but as they are not original to the boats are mismatched and am sure have excessive tongue weight. Would be no issue if I had a pickup but have a Pilot; plenty of power but it sags in the middle due to the weight. Not sure there is really a fix in my case, but is there any way to calculate tongue weight other than setting the stand on a weigh station scale?

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 11:44pm
A bathroom scale is usually capable of holding 300 lbs or so. A weight measuring device is required, any other method of determining precise tongue weight would involve magic as far as I can tell.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 11:55pm
Straddle the coupler and with both hands reach down and grab the coupler. Now keeping the back straight and knees slightly bent lift with your legs.
If you only drop one nut the tounge weight is good. If you drop both nuts you have to much tounge weight.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 12:32am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

any other method of determining precise tongue weight would involve magic as far as I can tell.

This is very true. When I built up/modified the TeeNee trailer (build for an outboard) for my Atom, I went about it "scientifically" for both the spring/axle weights as well as the tongue. I borrowed the hanging scale from work, got both the bow and aft weights and then went at the math. The springs were easy but I ended up way off with the tongue. Luckily I didn't weld off the axle position until I got the boat sitting on the bunks and the bath scale under the tongue. A position shift of the boat as well as the axle of only inches makes a big difference. As Tim suggests, getting the bath scale out is the easiest and simple way.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 1:51am
Weird as it may sound, I know the trailer under my v-drive is tongue heavy but with the 360 behind the axle I still hesitate to crawl around the engine if it's not attached to the vehicle.

You might get a kick out of this. Just had the 2007 Pilot in for the infamous air bag recall. Honda dealer said the rear shocks are shot and leaking and quoted $835 for replacement. My local shop then quoted $325 OEM equivalent Monroe s installed. Havent done anything yet but Typical dealer BS, eh?

Can't complain about honda though. 7 years old and never done a single thing but oil change. My daily driver is a 2013 civic pushing 75K miles, likewise nothing yet but oil

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 2:45am
Made me laugh I needed that!
Watuugasn84
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Can't complain about honda though. 7 years old and never done a single thing but oil change. My daily driver is a 2013 civic pushing 75K miles, likewise nothing yet but oil

Just wait you will. My '95 accord has 385,000 (yes not a typo) but I have replaced just about everything's not that car at least once, to include a cylinder head. About the only thing I haven't replaced is the manual tranny and the short block.
The current project is a 2"x2" universal that connects the steering column to the rack and pinion that part in only $115 and only available through the dealer.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

The current project is a 2"x2" universal that connects the steering column to the rack and pinion that part in only $115 and only available through the dealer.

Paul,
Why? Due to special bores on the ends? Did you looked at regular power transmission U joints? They come with metric bores too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 5:23pm
Pete it's actually two small universals together that have special ends that go on to splined shafts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic