NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old Gas

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Gas
    Posted: May-27-2015 at 7:53pm
In an effort to re-launch a pontoon boat that hasn't seen water in several years I am doing the carbs, filters etc. and decided to siphon out all the old gas. Not sure how well it was treated and with all the ethanol problems ( boat was put away not running well) .
My question is how to dispose of approx. 15 gals of old ethanol based stale gas.?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 8:33pm
Kevin,
I evaporate mine however, 15 gal. is a lot! I do the same with left over solvents I've used for cleaning. The EPA loves me!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 9:19pm
Assuming it's not full of water or crud, I burn old gas (a little at a time if in large qty) through something more tolerant of mediocre fuel. Cars and the lawnmower are prime examples.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kevin,
I evaporate mine however, 15 gal. is a lot! I do the same with left over solvents I've used for cleaning. The EPA loves me!!

By what process do you evaporate it?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 9:56pm
Jeff,
I put several gals. at a time in the oil drain pan and set it outside under cover so it doesn't get rained on. On warm sunny days, I'll set it directly in the sun.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 11:09pm
would hate to be a sparrow in your neighborhood. ...do you put up a little sign "This way to your final birdbath".....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2015 at 11:40pm
I burn mine in my truck. I'll run a gallon at a time.   
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 1:31am
i usually dispose of all my bad gas and unknown oil mixes into rental cars or equipment when i return it.
The solution to pollution is dilution. if you add enough good gas the bad gas becomes good again right?
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 3:00am
I burn it in my car. My Mustangs came with about 20 gallons of gas that was more than 10 years old. Put it all in for two fill ups. Car was slow but it worked. I would not try it in a direct injection engine however.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 10:11am
We have a yearly no questions asked fluid recycling event around these parts- it is spectacular, you don't even get out of the truck and it just all goes away. I am usually good for pretty close to a hundred gallons of various stuff a year, might be worth checking the local municipality webpage to see if they do the same.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 9:17pm
My Mother likes Manhattens. But "upside down" two parts vermouth, one part bourbon. The correct Manhatten is two parts bourbon and one vermouth. I slip some of the old gas in lieu of the vermouth, however, 15 gallons would kill her.
Js
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2015 at 9:32pm
are those sweet or dry vermouth i know a gin martini (my favorite)is made with dry but every once in a while i like the gin with sweet 5 olives no red thing.. i know you nautique owners are generally beer drinkers but you might want to try the formula owners drink of choice martinis (gin of course)
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 10:51am
Sweet Vermouth, if I make it wrong for her its BIG trouble. 89 and can be as mean as a junkyard dog.
Js
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2015 at 10:44pm
In my city they have a free drop off location for toxics including Oil, Gas or Antifreeze.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 9:44am
I can put just about anything out on the curb with a 'Free' sign on it & it disappears within 2 hrs.

I suppose the fire dept may not like gas out there though . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 10:01am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

In my city they have a free drop off location for toxics including Oil, Gas or Antifreeze.

Once a year we too have the free drop off. The last time I went to drop off leftovers, they didn't like the 2 gal. of Creosote wood preservative that I found when cleaning out the boathouse. They however were very happy to give me direction to an environmental disposal company where I could pay $100 for the 2 gal.!!    I still have the 2 gal.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
xarmypilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xarmypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 11:51am

...The last time I went to drop off leftovers, they didn't like the 2 gal. of Creosote wood preservative that I found when cleaning out the boathouse. They however were very happy to give me direction to an environmental disposal company where I could pay $100 for the 2 gal.!!    I still have the 2 gal.

Pete - If you had a dozen or so untreated railroad ties, I think you'd be in business

'87 SN 2001
'68 Chris~Craft Grand Prix (Past family boat)
'72 Checkmate Mx16 (Past family boat)

"Speed is life, altitude is life insurance"
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by xarmypilot xarmypilot wrote:

...The last time I went to drop off leftovers, they didn't like the 2 gal. of Creosote wood preservative that I found when cleaning out the boathouse. They however were very happy to give me direction to an environmental disposal company where I could pay $100 for the 2 gal.!!    I still have the 2 gal.

Pete - If you had a dozen or so untreated railroad ties, I think you'd be in business

Who needs CPES?

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2015 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by xarmypilot xarmypilot wrote:

Rob,
I think railroad ties and the bottom of utility poles are the only items the EPA still allows to be treated with the Creosote!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2015 at 2:23pm

Once a year we too have the free drop off. The last time I went to drop off leftovers, they didn't like the 2 gal. of Creosote wood preservative that I found when cleaning out the boathouse. They however were very happy to give me direction to an environmental disposal company where I could pay $100 for the 2 gal.!!    I still have the 2 gal.

Take a bath in it Pete, and we will have you preserved forever.!
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2015 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

are those sweet or dry vermouth i know a gin martini (my favorite)is made with dry but every once in a while i like the gin with sweet 5 olives no red thing.. i know you nautique owners are generally beer drinkers but you might want to try the formula owners drink of choice martinis (gin of course)

Maybe its wood Creosote instead of coal and you've got enough laxative for a life time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic