Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wataugasn84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Needed
    Posted: May-18-2015 at 9:39pm
I need help with boat running /starting issues. I have some of the same issues as others in recent posts but a little different. I have a 1984 SN 2001 351 and have had the carb rebuilt twice in the last three years. My recent problems are in driveway and hose I have boat running great, fresh fill up of gas (full tank) on lake ran boat for three hours with several restarts started great didn't even pump gas just turned key and instant start. Then while idling down at marina it acceleration and died. Restart then died could not get restarted numerous attempts for over 1 hour .Starts fine again at home adjust idle ran boat for 30 minutes on hose no issues. Back to lake same 1/2 tank of gas. Started great ran great no hesitation or stumble , numerous restarts both hat and cold starts great. Again at idle into marina exact issue. I am at a loss, could it be fuel pump instead of carb? I don't want to buy new carb if its not the issue.
Watuugasn84
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2015 at 10:01pm
Did you check for spark? Could be a hot coil problem.
Runs fine coil gets hot - then no start, coil cools down runs fine again?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 7:01pm
What do you mean check for spark ? I did replace factory coil with newer accell. I did not have a gauge to check specifics.
Watuugasn84
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by wataugasn84 wataugasn84 wrote:

What do you mean check for spark ? I did replace factory coil with newer accell. I did not have a gauge to check specifics.

What was the reason you changed the coil? No spark???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 7:32pm
Could it be an issue with carb leaking fuel and flooding the engine. By the time you have got home fuel has evaporated and engine starts again
'82 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 8:26pm
I changed the coil as a guess since a friend had a spare and suggested I try it. I just cant figure out why on hose and for 1st half of day there are no issues then as idling down it either runs out of fuel or floods out, then no restart. I don't want to guess and replace things that are not bad. I thought about a tune up , replace distributer ,rotor etc along with fuel separator and possibly fuel pump if its cheap. Anyone know what part # fuel pump is along with fuel separator ? Any logical suggestions are helpful since I am not a mechanic.
Watuugasn84
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2015 at 8:46pm
Doug,
Don't go changing parts on the basis of you guessing. I always suggest testing first.

Graham has a good point. Look down the carb for liquid fuel when idling as well as when the engine is stopped. Does the exhaust smell rich? Is the engine running rough and stumbling when idling? No on the fuel pump. It wouldn't run at higher speeds when the fuel demand is high. The test btw is to tee in a pressure gauge between it and the carb. No on the fuel water separator ether. If plugged, it too wouldn't allow the engine to run at higher speeds. I agree with Paul that it sounds like a hot coil problem. Do as he suggested and check for spark when it stops. A tune up won't hurt but check for spark first. The type of coil is suspect Is it resisted? IE: does it need or not need the ballast resistor?? . Is it oil or epoxy filled? Oil filled don't like to be laid horizontal. Your friend who had the coil, is he mechanically inclined? If so, has he made any other suggestions?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 9:03am
Peter,
When it runs it runs great no idle or stumbling issues.no drip in carb starts and runs great no rich smell from exhaust for most of day then issue with stalling and difficult or failure to start. If I flood it it's extremely difficult to restart. The coil I have is an accell (yellow.) I will check more on exact type it is a loner .Any suggestions on proper replacement coil? Suggestions are spark or fuel issues.
Watuugasn84
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 10:48am
What distributor do you have ?
Did you bypass the resistor?
Some coils have built in resistance some need a resistor. If your running a non resisted coil you need to include the resistor before the coil.
I personally don't believe the wives tale of oil coils can't be on their sides, my '85 has had an oil coil on its side since I've owned it.

But until you verify its a no spark problem or fuel problem we're chasing our tail with all this.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 10:58am
I agree Paul,I think just about every non efi Ford out there is that way. I think the problem occurs when someone changes things like adding an "electronic ignition" kit
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 11:58am

I changed the coil as a guess

I don't want to guess and replace things

Well then get to doing the diagnosing suggested in this thread.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2015 at 12:09pm
My 67 has had an oil coil on its side for the better part of 15 years now and that gets about a million degrees hotter than a marine application. Wives tale for sure even if there is data to prove it isn't an optimal position.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2015 at 9:04am
Well so far I found my coil to be bad , leaking oil from top . Distributer cap had a crack in it and the retaining clips were lose. Replaced and tightened , again boat started and ran fine in drive for 35 minutes. If this was not the issue it sure needed to be taken are of anyway. Hope to check it out on the lake this weekend, if the wife will go she did not like the last two trips and is not big on being towed.
Watuugasn84

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wataugasn84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 3:54pm
Update , Boat ran great all weekend ,ran it Friday, Saturday and Sunday not a problem. Thanks for advice and patience in letting me bounce ideas off of you .Coil and Distributer cap did the trick.
Watuugasn84
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2015 at 7:19pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2015 at 6:33pm
Enjoy many more hours of happy boating (your wife too! )

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic